Japanese kickers and punters we should invite to camp

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If you do post a thread about rugby players, careful how you phrase a thread title having to do with a player from the All Blacks.

:muttley:

Yes, I'm aware. Cuz two of the players I found were from the NEW ZEALAND All Blacks (have to caps it so people can see I'm referring to the Rugby national team of New Zealand).

Blake

Reaction score
Sure, George. Sure.

All people had to do was read his first sentence to see that he was referring to people in a Japanese league and that would have settled it. Is that not "in reference to the league they play in," to use your very own words above? Same for Mongolia, Kenya, and Madagascar if they had national leagues. If that's too difficult for people, they could also consider the source if they're around here enough. Furboy has never come off as a race-baiting troll to be on guard for in the slightest. Quite the opposite actually. So all that's left after those considerations is the eye of the beholder. And that simply revealed the lens through which you saw this which was to jump way past the scouting aspect of this (on a football message board, no less) straight to a "this guy's trying to elevate others above our own" take. When someone reacts that way to a neutral stimulus there's something a little touchy within. We all have our things. This is one of yours.

You're the one writing long winded paragraphs, creating controversy where there was none. I suspect the touchy one within, is you. Do yourself a favor, step off of God's throne and stop casting judgement on others you barely know; no matter how "enlightened" with the gift of psychobabble you may consider yourself to be.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I am talking about players from the Japanese X-League that happen to be Japanese. I'd also be curious to find players from the German League who happen to be German. I don't care where the players are from as long as they can help the Cowboys. I think the 3 I suggested can help the Cowboys win.

The league happens to be in Japan. They are allowed two foreign (almost always American) players, typically a quarterback and one skill player, and have some American coaches. I had an opportunity to go coach over there a couple of years ago but couldn't make it work with my two Rottweilers. I also know someone who played there after he graduated from Utah.

As far as scouting kickers from there, I think it's just a matter of time before someone signs in the NFL, or plays at a major college. Look at Australia, they have a whole program (https://www.prokickaustralia.com/) dedicated to finding kickers & punters. They currently have 75 kids who have gone to college or the NFL, including 5 Ray Guy award winners and 17 All-Americans. I wrote about this program as part of my thesis at Michigan State (Go Sparty!) on alternative ways of finding and developing talent for American football.

Kicking is such an individual aspect of football that I don't worry about LOC (level of competition) in a lesser, still-developing league. If you can kick, you can kick. It's not like watching a RB dominate in that league since most of the defenders are smaller, slower, and less familiar with football.

When I was coaching, we tried to bring in International players, a Japanese kicker, some German offensive linemen (all 6'5" and 300 lbs), but international students have to prove they can afford to be here (some weird rule like showing they have $10k in savings), and at the junior college level, we don't get a lot of kids who have those types of financial resources.

Gill Brandt was famous for looking outside the box to find football talent and it's what first inspired me to be passionate about identifying and developing football talent years ago. What @Furboy is suggesting here is more of that and has nothing to do with ethnicity/race.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The league happens to be in Japan. They are allowed two foreign (almost always American) players, typically a quarterback and one skill player, and have some American coaches. I had an opportunity to go coach over there a couple of years ago but couldn't make it work with my two Rottweilers. I also know someone who played there after he graduated from Utah.

As far as scouting kickers from there, I think it's just a matter of time before someone signs in the NFL, or plays at a major college. Look at Australia, they have a whole program (https://www.prokickaustralia.com/) dedicated to finding kickers & punters. They currently have 75 kids who have gone to college or the NFL, including 5 Ray Guy award winners and 17 All-Americans. I wrote about this program as part of my thesis at Michigan State (Go Sparty!) on alternative ways of finding and developing talent for American football.

Kicking is such an individual aspect of football that I don't worry about LOC (level of competition) in a lesser, still-developing league. If you can kick, you can kick. It's not like watching a RB dominate in that league since most of the defenders are smaller, slower, and less familiar with football.

When I was coaching, we tried to bring in International players, a Japanese kicker, some German offensive linemen (all 6'5" and 300 lbs), but international students have to prove they can afford to be here (some weird rule like showing they have $10k in savings), and at the junior college level, we don't get a lot of kids who have those types of financial resources.

Gill Brandt was famous for looking outside the box to find football talent and it's what first inspired me to be passionate about identifying and developing football talent years ago. What @Furboy is suggesting here is more of that and has nothing to do with ethnicity/race.

Exactly! That's all I'm trying to do. I'm just trying to find the best talent that I think helps the Cowboys win. And that's cool that you did that. And the punters from Australia usually are very good punters. We had one on the Cowboys. I'm trying to continue that streak of finding what's available. And you're right. At some point, someone is going to sign a player from that league. Why shouldn't we be the first? As you said, Gil Brandt was famous for thinking outside the box. We've had international kickers and punters before. That wouldn't be new to us. Plus, Jerry would love the possibility of adding more marketing in Japan from having a player from Japan on the team. We could essentially beat everyone else in the League to finding talent in this league. And yes, you seem to know quite a lot about this league as well. The Japanese X-League is a fascinating league to me.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Trolls be sensitive, especially about anything that whiffs of identity.

One of my favorite threads of the year. Thanks for finding a new league for us. Doubt any of these guys will ever get a chance, but fun to fantasize about.

Well it is indeed, and it is fun to examine. I'm glad you like the thread. I hope that our FO will see some of these videos and at least try them. This is the time of year to bring in talent. But yeah, who knows? Worth a look though imo.

shabazz

Reaction score
I see. I was more trying to find better talent, and I was referring to players in that league (though, there are some Americans in that league, but it's mostly players from Japan).

Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box to get better players......do they have an Qb’s looking to play?

And BTW, any nation that survived Godzilla, Gidorah, and Rodan is good in my book

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box to get better players......do they have an Qb’s looking to play?

Haha, as a matter of fact, I think they do! The Fujitsu Frontiers won the Japan X Bowl this year. I wouldn't mind us bringing in their QB for example.

shabazz

Reaction score
Haha, as a matter of fact, I think they do! The Fujitsu Frontiers won the Japan X Bowl this year. I wouldn't mind us bringing in their QB for example.

As long as he’s not looking for 40 mil a year, let some give him a look see, Lol

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
As long as he’s not looking for 40 mil a year, let some give him a look see, Lol

Here you are. Have a look. It's a long video as it's the whole game, but feel free to take bits and pieces of it as you like.

Plus, it's Sunday, so it might be kinda fun to have some version of football to watch.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You're the one writing long winded paragraphs, creating controversy where there was none. I suspect the touchy one within, is you. Do yourself a favor, step off of God's throne and stop casting judgement on others you barely know; no matter how "enlightened" with the gift of psychobabble you may consider yourself to be.

LOL. Only casting it out there because you did it, then went into denial. Not that I expect you to admit being sensitive but, ya know. And you started the controversy before I showed up as others also noticed your "peculiar" take. I just added play-by-play. No judgement. Just reasonable conclusions based on the facts here for everyone to read.

It's quite simple. You got busted reacting to a headline instead of reading 2 sentences into the original post to find what YOU later said would have helped. Guess you didn't read and just reacted. The press does the headline thing all the time to get people riled up from their certain sensitivities. You're conditioned to it. So are many others and it played out here. It happens.

And God doesn't mind me quality-testing the throne every now and then.

Cmac

Reaction score
I see. I was more trying to find better talent, and I was referring to players in that league (though, there are some Americans in that league, but it's mostly players from Japan).
Much love to your opinion. Have to agree that all avenues should be left unturned to finding talent. All good.

Blake

Reaction score
LOL. Only casting it out there because you did it, then went into denial. Not that I expect you to admit being sensitive but, ya know. And you started the controversy before I showed up as others also noticed your "peculiar" take. I just added play-by-play. No judgement. Just reasonable conclusions based on the facts here for everyone to read.

It's quite simple. You got busted reacting to a headline instead of reading 2 sentences into the original post to find what YOU later said would have helped. Guess you didn't read and just reacted. The press does the headline thing all the time to get people riled up from their certain sensitivities. You're conditioned to it. So are many others and it played out here. It happens.

And God doesn't mind me quality-testing the throne every now and then.

Ok Boomer. I still contend it's a funny thread title, no matter how you wish to spin it to justify your conclusions.

John 7:24 King James Version (KJV)

24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge with righteous judgment

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Thread title should be Japanese kickers and punters who won't be invited to any NFL camp.

Not that none of them are worthy, but NFL teams aren't usually that outside-the-box in their thinking.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Wow I learned something today with this thread. I had no clue there was a league in Japan. Are the field dimensions/goalposts the same?

Yes, but after touchdowns they bow to each other and then are amazingly polite in traffic driving home. It takes some getting used to.

Actually I have no idea of the answer to your question.

Hardline

Reaction score
Bring in Kenta Suzuki since he kicks and punts.
If he wins the starting job, you fill two positions with one player.

Kaiser

Reaction score
"If there is a new Punter in Indochina, I want a scout in a bowl of rice".

e06c740e8e6aec4aa651a7fb44f83623.jpg

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Much love to your opinion. Have to agree that all avenues should be left unturned to finding talent. All good.

Lovely! I do appreciate this response. And exactly! What have we to lose by exploring the option of the X-League?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Thread title should be Japanese kickers and punters who won't be invited to any NFL camp.

Not that none of them are worthy, but NFL teams aren't usually that outside-the-box in their thinking.

I get that, but I really think Jerry should at least try one of them out. I may try to send an email to DC.com staff writers about them. See what interest that generates. Maybe it will be enough to raise waves with our FO?