Japanese kickers and punters we should invite to camp

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Bring in Kenta Suzuki since he kicks and punts.
If he wins the starting job, you fill two positions with one player.

Yush! I'd be all for us bringing him in. We could carry him for all kicking duties, and we'd be able to have a 3rd QB or an extra DE or WR. So he'd help us with our roster efficiency.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
As far as the kickers go, we do need competition at punter, and if you watch the videos, all three of the prospects that I suggested also punt. I think they punt well actually. As for why they kick on dirt at times, I believe I explained this already, but I will explain again. Baseball is a very popular sport in Japan. So, they have a lot of baseball stadiums. A lot of these baseball stadiums have become multipurpose stadiums to accommodate American Football. Essentially, think the NFL many years ago when there were a lot of dual-purpose stadiums. It's the same concept in Japan. These teams don't have the money that the NFL currently has. So they can't really build their own stadiums. Thus, sharing stadiums makes the most sense for them financially. Think the Cowboys in the 70s could have afforded AT&T Stadium? Think the Cardinals, who at that time we're in St. Louis, could afford their own stadium? Why else did they play in Busch Stadium where they shared with the baseball team?

Oh, and much like NFL players then, the Japanese players also have to balance a full time job and play football. So, they don't really have the time to devote daily practices and all like the current NFL does. They don't earn much from playing football. They're just playing for the love of the game like how the NFL used to be. Essentially, with the Japanese X-League, you're watching a back in time version of the NFL. Back before the players became what they are now. They have the current equipment, but the style of play is in that situation. I think if the Cowboys got a chance to see how good the kickers and punters, for example, are there, they may be more willing to try to help develop that league. Thus, make it a possible ground to develop talent we can use later.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Here you are. Have a look. It's a long video as it's the whole game, but feel free to take bits and pieces of it as you like.

Plus, it's Sunday, so it might be kinda fun to have some version of football to watch.

@shabazz what chu think of the video? I really like the pass around the 25:50 mark of the video.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Ok Boomer. I still contend it's a funny thread title, no matter how you wish to spin it to justify your conclusions.

John 7:24 King James Version (KJV)

24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge with righteous judgment

Right back at'cha, Doubting Thomas.

Proverbs 28:13 - He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.​

You not only accused the OP of assuming Japanese kickers were "better" than others but called the thread a "beyond weird" premise, which is dumb because it's solely scouting. Then after having it explained to you by the OP himself and me, you get uber-defensive, again accusing the OP of not referring to an outside league to explain the Japanese part when the OP literally did it 2 sentences into his post. See the facts below. Where's the spin? You didn't read, you reacted. Admit it. Like me, you didn't even know the league existed. But you jumped to a defense when there was clearly no offense. Unless .... there was a defense already there. And you want to quote about not judging according to appearance? Wow. Okay, Joel Olsteen. Lol.

He phrased it in a way that assumes Japanese have better kickers, when this isn't proven. I'm all for bringing in overseas talent to try out for the NFL, but the whole premise of this thread is beyond weird.
When people mention prospects outside of the NFL, it's usually in reference to the league they play in - not their ethnicity.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
As far as the kickers go, we do need competition at punter, and if you watch the videos, all three of the prospects that I suggested also punt. I think they punt well actually. As for why they kick on dirt at times, I believe I explained this already, but I will explain again. Baseball is a very popular sport in Japan. So, they have a lot of baseball stadiums. A lot of these baseball stadiums have become multipurpose stadiums to accommodate American Football. Essentially, think the NFL many years ago when there were a lot of dual-purpose stadiums. It's the same concept in Japan. These teams don't have the money that the NFL currently has. So they can't really build their own stadiums. Thus, sharing stadiums makes the most sense for them financially. Think the Cowboys in the 70s could have afforded AT&T Stadium? Think the Cardinals, who at that time we're in St. Louis, could afford their own stadium? Why else did they play in Busch Stadium where they shared with the baseball team?
Yes yes I'm well aware of duel purpose stadiums. I remember the days when some NFL teams played on dirt but we've evolved so that NFL football, and especially championship football games are not played on dirt. Grass does not cost all that much so spare me your excuse it cost too much.

As for your punter kickers, no thank you.

conner01

Reaction score
I am also trying to find out who the starting kicker/punters were for the Fujitsu Frontiers. They won the Japanese X-League Title last year.
Didn’t even know they had a football league in japan lol

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
For a league like this (or any non-NFL league for that matter), kicking is probably THE most transferrable thing to the NFL. You mean to tell me that if there was a guy there that could regularly boom 60-yard FGs or a guy averaging 50+ yards per punt that you wouldn't bring him over for a look because "we signed a few guys?" If I think a guy is better than Greg the Leg, I'd tell Greg to hit the bricks and absorb any money loss associated with him because I made the team better.
Stop it. No one kicks 60-yard FGs consistently. Greg the leg can hit the bricks as far as I'm concerned. Cobra Kai Forbath was perfect on FGs last year and has done nothing to lose his job. However, we do need some competition for Chis Jones at punting but I'm sure our new ST coach will be addressing this without fans scouting talent in Japan. lol... so silly.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yes yes I'm well aware of duel purpose stadiums. I remember the days when some NFL teams played on dirt but we've evolved so that NFL football, and especially championship football games are not played on dirt. Grass does not cost all that much so spare me your excuse it cost too much.

As for your punter kickers, no thank you.

Fair enough then about the need for better fields for the games. At least for the Championship game. However, I still like the way Suzuki punts the ball. The his control punts look good to me. I think his normal punts look good too. So, from a punting standpoint, my opinion is that he would compete quite well for the starting punter job. It's fine if you don't though. You're free to think that.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Stop it. No one kicks 60-yard FGs consistently. Greg the leg can hit the bricks as far as I'm concerned. Cobra Kai Forbath was perfect on FGs last year and has done nothing to lose his job. However, we do need some competition for Chis Jones at punting but I'm sure our new ST coach will be addressing this without fans scouting talent in Japan. lol... so silly.

I don't see why it's silly to check for talent around the world? I mean, was it silly when we went looking for a soccer-style kicker and found Toni Fritsch? Not saying necessarily that Suzuki is the next Fritsch. I'm just pointing out that it's always good to look for ideas. It may be unconventional or outside the box, but I don't see why it's silly to at least have a look.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Fair enough then about the need for better fields for the games. At least for the Championship game. However, I still like the way Suzuki punts the ball. The his control punts look good to me. I think his normal punts look good too. So, from a punting standpoint, my opinion is that he would compete quite well for the starting punter job. It's fine if you don't though. You're free to think that.
Gee thanks for allowing me to be free to think as I want to. :p

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Didn’t even know they had a football league in japan lol

They do, and I think it's developing okay. I think they probably could do better with the fields, but we've seen teams playing on baseball fields before. The Raiders were just playing on one last season. But I don't see why that's a concern. I think that if the players can kick or punt a football effectively, then they should be looked at.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't see why it's silly to check for talent around the world? I mean, was it silly when we went looking for a soccer-style kicker and found Toni Fritsch? Not saying necessarily that Suzuki is the next Fritsch. I'm just pointing out that it's always good to look for ideas. It may be unconventional or outside the box, but I don't see why it's silly to at least have a look.
Whatever. You too are allowed to be free to think as you want to.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Gee thanks for allowing me to be free to think as I want to. :p

Well, I'm trying to be cordial. I know how you think, and I understand that you don't agree with me about who I think we should bring in to compete against Chris Jones. But, I will still think our team should at least have a look.