Jason Garrett Contract Extention

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
You all are assuming Garrett wants to continue coaching after this season. There are some rumors floating around, that he is hanging it up after this year and a bit burned out. He's going all in this year. Coaches get tired folks, they burn out and move on.

dfense

Reaction score
Garrett is a losing coach. Held together by good QB play his whole career. Without Romo this guy would have been 4-12 every season. Now Dak is saving him. Terrible coach. 3 playoff games in 9 years. Brownesque.

Guy need to go.
Your whole argument is a contradiction. 26th ranked QB holds coaching staff together? Garrett ain't Belicheat, but he's also not Hue Jackson. He's had one losing season in the last five and its because his franchise QB went down. Now he's got his team in the NFC final four. 48 -31 3 NFC East titles last 5 years.

Real Brownesque.

Overstatesque much?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
You all are assuming Garrett wants to continue coaching after this season. There are some rumors floating around, that he is hanging it up after this year and a bit burned out. He's going all in this year. Coaches get tired folks, they burn out and move on.

Where's this coming from? I'm pretty much all over the net, especially info regarding the Cowboys, the first I've heard this, although it would not surprise me.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Your whole argument is a contradiction. 26th ranked QB holds coaching staff together? Garrett ain't Belicheat, but he's also not Hue Jackson. He's had one losing season in the last five and its because his franchise QB went down. Now he's got his team in the NFC final four. 48 -31 3 NFC East titles last 5 years.

Real Brownesque.

Overstatesque much?

You need to do a little research. This team’s last 20 years, including the Jason Garrett era, puts them in company with the bottom feeders of the league. Oakland, Tampa, and the Jets have more playoff wins. 0 Championship games puts them with Buffalo, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit...

Garrett was a near 500 coach with Tony Romo.

Just be honest.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
There is no question this team plays very hard for Jason Garrett. His regular season records so far
8-8, 8-8, 8-8, 12-4, 4-12, 13-3, 9,7,
10-6. Now add 2 playoff wins. Not bad compared to the constant coaching changes around the league. As it stands now, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jerry extend him for something like 3yrs 7m per year (through 2022). I still want another coach, but it’s hard to justify a change now. Like it or not, Garrett’s here for the long haul folks.

My preference would be a new OC over a new HC. I'm skeptical that either will happen in 2019 BUT I think Linnehan's contract expires at the end of this season. Am I correct on that? Marinelli as well. Both extended in 2017

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Where's this coming from? I'm pretty much all over the net, especially info regarding the Cowboys, the first I've heard this, although it would not surprise me.

I think @erod posted it yesterday. He said that JG looks different on the sidelines. Not clapping or smiling lol. Apparently @Cowboysfandarin took Erod seriously. I say JG has taken on the stoic Landry look

JMech

Reaction score
I cannot believe anyone...........anyone.........looking at JG and believe that he did something to deserve being extended. Could it happen? Sure, Jerry is an idiot and he cannot recognize a good coach. Even if we win a SB, I want him gone. You can't even define him as mediocre.

dfense

Reaction score
You need to do a little research. This team’s last 20 years, including the Jason Garrett era, puts them in company with the bottom feeders of the league. Oakland, Tampa, and the Jets have more playoff wins. 0 Championship games puts them with Buffalo, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit...

Just be honest.
You were referencing the Garrett era, Not the last 20 years. I was referencing the last 5 years, which I said. Just being honest.

LovinItAll

Reaction score

Just be honest.

He was EXACTLY a .500 coach with Romo. Now we have a stud QB and he's 33-17, winning two division titles in 3 years, getting the bye in one, and is 1-1 in the playoffs.

We've hardly been 'bottom feeders' the past three years.

Just being honest.

Last edited:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Jeez. The Garrett gang has the pom - poms going. Guess they forgot about 2H of 17 and the 3-5 start to 2018.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Jeez. The Garrett gang has the pom - poms going. Guess they forgot about 2H of 17 and the 3-5 start to 2018.

Did we start a new season at 3-5? Didn't we lose our two best players in 2017? Do you think any team can lose their two best players and just motor on as if nothing changed? We missed the playoffs by 1 game in '17 without Zeke and Lee for extended periods.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Did we start a new season at 3-5? Didn't we lose our two best players in 2017? Do you think any team can lose their two best players and just motor on as if nothing changed? We missed the playoffs by 1 game in '17 without Zeke and Lee for extended periods.

Did you notice last year's Eagles?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Why does he need an extension now though?

I mean seriously after next season is over, it’s not like some other team is going to swoop in and sign him.

And even if another team wanted to do so, with the history Garrett and the cowboys have, there’s no way he would choose to leave, other than retirement.

So I don’t see why getting an extension done is a necessity at all.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
sweet. i was wondering which excuse would be used.

Nah. No excuses necessary since the Cowboys have had a successful season, due in large part to excellent coaching. Garrett deserves an extension.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Extending Garrett only means that Jerry has to pay out his contract if/when he is fired. I saw in another post that Jerry just bought a $240 million yacht so I am thinking even if Garrett gets a 5-year, $50 million extension Jerry can handle a buyout at any point in the contract. Go ahead and extend Garrett and at least keep a sense of stability going forward with this young team.