News: Jason Garrett has more wins in the NFC over the last three seasons

Dre11

Reaction score
This is a stat the supports mediocrity. Garrett rarely has those 4-12 seasons, but he also doesn't have many playoff seasons and little playoff success.

8-8 or better seasons are built on beating a bunch of underachieving teams and a few good ones, like the Saints. Give him credit if you must for having teams good enough to beat the average to less-than-average teams. I'd rather have a coach who has the ability to put together the occasional run that at least puts his team in contention for a championship.

He also coaches under the most unique circumstances too.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He also coaches under the most unique circumstances too.

Jimmy Johnson won two Super Bowls in those unique circumstances. The process that has resulted mostly in mediocrity is all Garrett's. He's wasted talent for years by trying to slow-build a winner, which has either left us without a defense when the offense was good enough or resulted in talent we were relying on leaving because of injury or age before we could complete the process.

For Garrett's plan to work, one side of the ball has to be great to overcome the need to build the other side. The offense has been close at times, but was held back by the scheme/play-calling needed to put it over the top. The defense might be close this year and get held back by offensive shortcomings.

Winning a championship is a combination of having the right players, having the right coaching and luck. Having the right coach goes a long way toward getting those first two things.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Some people might be surprised to learn that no other NFC coach has more wins than Jason Garrett over the last three seasons. If your measuring stick is winning football games, then Garrett rates pretty high in recent years with his 29 wins over the last three years.

Read More Here

This is known as a so what stat. It means nothing without playoff wins. There is no such thing as a successful season without at least one playoff win.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
When you give away the last game of the season to rest players, your team goes into the playoffs rusty and can't win. This is why Garrett has had so little playoff success. I fear he will repeat that mistake once again this season by resting players when we play the Giants. Congrats to him for his regular season success but stop ruining our chances in the playoffs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why all of a sudden we have threads comparing wins in the last 3 seasons to justify Garrett and / or Dak.

Give me playoffs wins, and that is "wins" to at least the NFCCG.

Other than that, it means nothing but some numbers.
Yeah but you can’t get into the post season without regular season wins.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bad coaches don’t lead their teams’conferences in wins over three seasons. And there are reasons other than coaching for teams to lose playoff games.

Fans don’t often bother to distinguish because it’s easy to blame the HC or the QB, and there’s safety in numbers.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Some people might be surprised to learn that no other NFC coach has more wins than Jason Garrett over the last three seasons. If your measuring stick is winning football games, then Garrett rates pretty high in recent years with his 29 wins over the last three years.

Read More Here

Sounds great but the NFC East has been the NFC Worst the last few years.....Were was Jason Garrett when Doug Pederson was winning the SuperBowl....with a trick play (fetching Jerry his scotch). How'd Garrett fair when Romo went down....How'd Garrett fair when TSmith, SLee and Zeke was out......Garrett can win by coaching....he needs All Star players to get to 8-8. Heavens sake, Jerry just went out and gave up a 1st round pick to save Garrett job ...

Jason Garrett = Jeff Fisher & Marvin Lewis

rynochop

Reaction score
Jason Garrett is a decent coach..fans are fans for a reason. Landry would have been run out of here, people didn't like Jimmy in the beginning. Fans are just fickle

MojaveJT

Reaction score
What other franchise would keep a HC around that has 1 playoff win in 7-8 years??? 30 other teams would’ve fired him by now. Bengals and Cowboys are the only ones that give more stock in regular season records than postseason.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
according to his record over his time here garrett is a mediocre coach at best time for him to move on

FineFan

Reaction score
lol. I heard that. Seems impossible right? Yet I guess it's a fact. The 2016 season helped a lot.:grin:

HungryLion

Reaction score
Bad coaches don’t lead their teams’conferences in wins over three seasons. And there are reasons other than coaching for teams to lose playoff games.

Fans don’t often bother to distinguish because it’s easy to blame the HC or the QB, and there’s safety in numbers.

Or fans just aren’t interested in the excuses and want playoff wins.

God forbid fans want their team to win some playoff games.

Such lofty and unfair expectations to place on a coach who makes millions of dollars a year. I know.

bandfan

Reaction score
Why all of a sudden we have threads comparing wins in the last 3 seasons to justify Garrett and / or Dak.

Give me playoffs wins, and that is "wins" to at least the NFCCG.

Other than that, it means nothing but some numbers.
The only thing I can take from this is that any year your coach didn't get to the NFCCG you would fire him. That's how you build a winner right there yessireeee....

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or fans just aren’t interested in the excuses and want playoff wins.

God forbid fans want their team to win some playoff games.

Such lofty and unfair expectations to place on a coach who makes millions of dollars a year. I know.

Fans should concern themselves with reasons instead of not being able to distinguish reasons from excuses.