News: Jason Garrett has more wins in the NFC over the last three seasons

DStar22

Reaction score
Some people might be surprised to learn that no other NFC coach has more wins than Jason Garrett over the last three seasons. If your measuring stick is winning football games, then Garrett rates pretty high in recent years with his 29 wins over the last three years.

Read More Here

that's great. unfortunately, winning regular season games isn't my measuring stick.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Garrett's issue is not winning enough in the regular season. Post season disappointment is the problem. Yes he and the team got totally screwed in 2014 but so have a lot of other teams over the years. I know he does not use that as an excuse but many fans and some in the media do.

Ummm it's both. He has 2 good seasons his entire tenrue. Three straight 8-8 seasons and a terrible 4-12 season. With a 9-7 non playoff year last season. So yes, his regular seasons are a big issue, hence we only have 2 playoff appearances his head coach tenure here.

Little Jr

Reaction score
7 years: 2 play-off appearances, 1 playoff win, 0 nfc championship appearances.

Thats me setting the bar low and just wanting a nfc championship appearance. Lol

I don't see how people actually brag and bring up his regular season wins knowing the end result will be brought up and make them look silly for even bringing it up. 5 years of no play-off appearances. How can anyone defend that and how and the hell do defend that with regular season wins. Lol on this pace, in year 14 he'll have 4 playoff appearances and 2 wins. Lol

I hope it changes this year but the past says it won't.

Brax

Reaction score
"Three seasons" huh? Man, it feels like Garrett's been here a lot longer than that...
:huh:
The other don't count, the 13-3 season covers a lot of warts, every loss is somebody else's fault but Dak and Jason's. Get with the program Dak is a HOFer and Jason is better that Landry, Lombardi and Belichick rolled together and Jerry is greatest football mind in the NFL today. You must be one of those "haters" who can think and objectively evaluate what is seen and come to a realistic conclusion. Enjoy the game today just remember if they lose it's not Dak's fault or Jason's it's Zekes, the OL, the Defense gave up to many points (anything over 3) , the Ref's, the NFL is out to get them, Dak doesn't have a #1 tight end and I am sure a few you haven't heard yet including somehow it being Romo's fault. If they win Dak is a elite super star Jason is the best coach ever, here comes the super bowl. Getting real should be a good game hopefully, hope you enjoy it.

dfense

Reaction score
This whole "wake me up when we win a playoff game" is funny. I'd add to that, "wake me up when Garrett competes against the best QBs in the league with a bus driver and wins."

Then put him in the ring of honor for that feat.

JayFord

Reaction score
Who cares

Dood dont get it done in crunch time

Nfc championship or find another job

HungryLion

Reaction score
Fans should concern themselves with reasons instead of not being able to distinguish reasons from excuses.

So Garret gets the credit for the team having the second most wins the last 3 years.

But the players get the blame for not winning playoff games?

The idea that garret shares no blame in the lack of playoff success is absolutely laughable.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So Garret gets the credit for the team having the second most wins the last 3 years.

But the players get the blame for not winning playoff games?

The idea that garret shares no blame in the lack of playoff success is absolutely laughable.

I didn’t say either of those things.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
JG can't prove anything until the playoffs.
He has to get there and then he has win.

That said, crying about JG in-season is dumb when/if you accept the two above facts.
Bashing him relentlessly for "meaningless" in-season losses is rather illogical right?

Garrett has been pretty fair to middling for me but he absolutely out-coached Pederson in Philly and SP (my personal coaching target) here in Dallas.
I am not going to ignore that just because he's boring and claps a lot.

Win a playoff game or towo and this becomes quite a good job this season.
And when I judge anyone's job performance I am leaning on this year first and foremost.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Some people might be surprised to learn that no other NFC coach has more wins than Jason Garrett over the last three seasons. If your measuring stick is winning football games, then Garrett rates pretty high in recent years with his 29 wins over the last three years.

The frustration is he's not exactly been "Big Game" Garrett. Today is another opportunity to work on that perception. We'll see...

Dre11

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson won two Super Bowls in those unique circumstances. The process that has resulted mostly in mediocrity is all Garrett's. He's wasted talent for years by trying to slow-build a winner, which has either left us without a defense when the offense was good enough or resulted in talent we were relying on leaving because of injury or age before we could complete the process.

For Garrett's plan to work, one side of the ball has to be great to overcome the need to build the other side. The offense has been close at times, but was held back by the scheme/play-calling needed to put it over the top. The defense might be close this year and get held back by offensive shortcomings.

Winning a championship is a combination of having the right players, having the right coaching and luck. Having the right coach goes a long way toward getting those first two things.

What unique circumstances, this shows the ignorance of some fans, no salary cap, round 1 qb, all of Jerry's money. Those 3 three things alone made it easier alone. Then add in the fact he could keep his team together with no salary cap was huge.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I didn’t say either of those things.

No, you just insinuated it.

How else are we supposed to take your comment? You said there are reasons other than coaching that a team can lose playoff games.

So, does Garrett share responsibility in the lack of playoff wins or not? Are you saying it’s the players or FO’s faults? Those are the only other two parties who I could see as being responsible.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, you just insinuated it.

How else are we supposed to take your comment? You said there are reasons other than coaching that a team can lose playoff games.

So, does Garrett share responsibility in the lack of playoff wins or not?

It’s a yes or no question.

I didn’t insinuate it, either.

Of course the HC shares responsibility for playoff wins and losses. And for the teams that get there in the first place. That is not the same thing as saying we lost either of the GB playoff games because of Jason Garrett.

And if he builds teams that win games more than other teams in the conference, and he isn’t the reason we lost either playoff game, why would you change the coach instead of addressing the things that were actually limiting us? The ones not named ‘Jerry Jones’ at least?

HungryLion

Reaction score
I didn’t insinuate it, either.

Of course the HC shares responsibility for playoff wins and losses. And for the teams that get there in the first place. That is not the same thing as saying we lost either of the GB playoff games because of Jason Garrett.

And if he builds teams that win games more than other teams in the conference, and he isn’t the reason we lost either playoff game, why would you change the coach instead of addressing the things that were actually limiting us? The ones not named ‘Jerry Jones’ at least?

So you’re saying he does share responsibility of the lack of playoff wins. Therefore, the second part of your post, the question isn’t valid because he is part of the reason we lost the playoff games.

End of the day, the goal is to have post season success. Not build the most consistently mediocre team that has a good overall record over the course of years.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Btw, I would love nothing more then for Jason Garrett to take the team on a deep playoff run this season.

If he proves he can do it, then I am ok with keeping him around. But until he SHOWS that he can do it. I won’t be satisfied. I think that’s fair.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you’re saying he does share responsibility of the lack of playoff wins. Therefore, the second part of your post, the question isn’t valid because he is part of the reason we lost the playoff games.

End of the day, the goal is to have post season success. Not build the most consistently mediocre team that has a good overall record over the course of years.

Your logic doesn’t follow.

And yes, the goal is to have postseason success. Best way to do that is to address the things that are keeping you from winning playoff games and not changing the things that aren’t broke.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Your logic doesn’t follow.

And yes, the goal is to have postseason success. Best way to do that is to address the things that are keeping you from winning playoff games and not changing the things that aren’t broke.

No I’m being perfectly logical.

He either died or doesn’t share responsibility in the fact that they haven’t had post season success during his tenure as head coach.

Therefore, unless you’re saying he doesn’t. Then your question was moot. Because he is part of the reason.

You’re asking some kind of mythical question about, what if it isn’t his fault they lost in the playoffs?

It is at least in part his fault. So the question is pointless.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No I’m being perfectly logical.

He either died or doesn’t share responsibility in the fact that they haven’t had post season success during his tenure as head coach.

Therefore, unless you’re saying he doesn’t. Then your question was moot. Because he is part of the reason.

You’re asking some kind of mythical question about, what if it isn’t his fault they lost in the playoffs?

It is at least in part his fault. So the question is pointless.

You’re confusing responsibility with fault is what I’m saying.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What unique circumstances, this shows the ignorance of some fans, no salary cap, round 1 qb, all of Jerry's money. Those 3 three things alone made it easier alone. Then add in the fact he could keep his team together with no salary cap was huge.

Johnson was competing against teams in the same circumstances and won against teams with the same circumstances.

We don't excuse Belichick for not winning more because he had a sixth-round QB and the salary cap.

That Garrett hasn't won is on him. In another thread I point out how all of the Super Bowl-winning coaches over the last 20 years except one have won the title within their first five years as coach. All of them had their own circumstances to face, yet they won. Making excuses for Garrett is something Jerry would do, not something that should be expected from fans.