***Jason Garrett Rant thread RUN THE BALL(merged)***

Use Your Illusion

Reaction score
Because that was absolutely horrid playcalling. Some of the worst I've seen in all my years of being a Cowboys fan - just Bruce Coslet levels of sucking.

I know we've been a pass heavy team all season, but when it's not working, run the damn ball. Did Mike Martz Jr. forget that we have MARION BARBER?

With Tony Romo playing as terrible as he was and then the injured thumb, there's absolutely no reason to not run the ball.

You can put the loss on Romo, and he deserves a lot of the blame, but there is no excuse for him having to throw it 36 times with the way he was playing today. Garrett deserves just as much blame. He looked like an amateur out there.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Alot of you guys have been giving Garrett alot of props even though we have been going most of this season without a running game.

This is the NFL and you need to run the ball....not just at the end of games, but during as well.

Most of our running plays called this year is after we have a good lead in the 4th qtr....we should be evening out the play-calling more...ESPECIALLY when Romo was playing the way that he did with his thumb etc....

I've been questioning him since the first half of the season....around week 4 or so.

Our first run in the second half was the second play....our next one didn't come until 7:43 of the 4th qtr. No excuse for that in a close game....ESPECIALLY with the problems in our passing game.

khiladi

Reaction score
This game should end all doubts about the not really needing a running attack in today's NFL. Jerry should do whatever it takes to get McFadden, because it is obvious that with our deep vertical passing game, Jason Garrett prefers to have his receivers run intermediate and deep routes. The quick slant through the middle is unheard of for this offense and without it, teams are just droppng men back into coverage to take away TO as a threat and we are not forcing the defense up. You can't dominate a defensive line if your OL is in passing situations all day.

Also, the style of offense we have, especially on days when the QB is out, is bad for the defense and wears them out. Romo can't be on every game.

yesfan

Reaction score
94WARE94;1837529 said:
does he know how to run the ball???

Exactly my beef with the play calling,there was absolutely no
rhythm established.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
A running attack would have been key today for sure. I was hoping to see a good dose of Barber coming out of the half. Even some draws would have been nice.

JSP21

Redneck Daddy
Reaction score
You've gotta let Julius go this offseason. Sign someone else to pair with Marion.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
If you have a QB that has a bum thumb that is missing receivers all game and we are down by 4 points why the hell wouldn't he run the damn ball??

and all these people rave and rant about him

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
We had tons of chances to run it, at least run it on 1st down to see what happens, but when you never run, you take a chance at gettingi your QB sacked/fumbles which we had atleast 2, but we recovered, and interceptions. You HAVE TO RUN THE DANG BALL!

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
we abandoned the running game today,philly played well def. but we didn't help by being one dimensional

Mash

Reaction score
If Romo hit his passes to open receivers.......then that would of opened the running game.....

Our running game is set up with the Pass.......has happened all yr.......

So I dont blame Garrett......but Romo....

This Lost is all on Romo......too many fumbles....to many missed passes....he was off

Our OL and defense played well......it seemed like our receivers were open....but Romo didnt play well and thats all good....better now then in the
playoffs.....

Martice

Reaction score
JG is not going anywhere. We had a bad game. So did JG. Suck it up and swallow. Move on to the next week.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
It's funny how Jason Garrett is a genius when Tony is playing great and an idiot when Tony isn't.

cowboysfan84

Reaction score
:banghead:

What a disappointing game. We should not have abanadoned the run so early. I hope Phillips et al really get on Redball this week about the game he called.

It sucks because this isn't an isolated incidence; Garrett has been quick to abandon the run all season and I fear it'll only get worse with Glenn in the offense. People harp about how one-dimensional the Pats are, but we are much of the same, and it's obvious we aren't as (consistently) good as they are.

Still, 12-2 isn't bad, and we still have our tie-breaker over the Pack. At the very least, the Boys will have to play focused the rest of the way, finish strong, and hopefully build some momentum into the post-season. :starspin

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
Jimz31;1837541 said:
Alot of you guys have been giving Garrett alot of props even though we have been going most of this season without a running game.

This is the NFL and you need to run the ball....not just at the end of games, but during as well.

Most of our running plays called this year is after we have a good lead in the 4th qtr....we should be evening out the play-calling more...ESPECIALLY when Romo was playing the way that he did with his thumb etc....

I've been questioning him since the first half of the season....around week 4 or so.

Our first run in the second half was the second play....our next one didn't come until 7:43 of the 4th qtr. No excuse for that in a close game....ESPECIALLY with the problems in our passing game.

i have been too me and my dad have been griping about it and he has been getting away with it but now it cost us a game

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
I agree, been worried about Jason Garrett turning to Sean Payton too much. Seems like he has the making of it. But at the same time, our Running game didn't do much either. JJ just simply is not good, but Blocking hasn't been that good either on Run.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
theogt;1837636 said:
It's funny how Jason Garrett is a genius when Tony is playing great and an idiot when Tony isn't.

He saw Tony missing receivers playing with a bad thumb

We are down by 4 and he wont run the damn ball..

He was airing it out like we were down by 14

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Garret has had NOTHING BUT PRASIE all year until now, funny people want him out already

Stupid thread #4

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
theogt;1837636 said:
Romo was having trouble with his thumb. You would think he would tell Garrett, "maybe we should run a little more."

But Noooo...