Jason Garrett Was Key In Drafting Ezekiel Elliott And Dak Prescott

waving monkey

Reaction score
When the NFL announces Coach of the Year in February, the person selected should be Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett. For the last six years, he has held command of this team and gradually built something fans can be proud of. The first three years were filled with mediocre 8-8 seasons and left many people questioning his effectiveness. But during the last three years, the Cowboys have won the NFC East twice and are about to embark on a potential Super Bowl run.

Jason Garrett has been with the organization since 2007, when he was hired as the offensive coordinator. In his first year as OC, the Cowboys would finish with a record of 13-3, and at the time, the offense would score the second-most points in franchise history (455). Tony Romo, in his first full season as starting quarterback would break several Cowboys passing records, such as touchdowns, completions, and passing yards. Garrett had some good tools and place and used them well.

In 2014, with Garrett as the HC, the offense would eclipse the 2007 point total with again, the second-most points scored (467). The team was led by a new single-season rushing record holder in DeMarco Murray, and Tony Romo, who threw 34 touchdown passes (second most to his 2007 totals).

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017...drafting-ezekiel-elliott-and-dak-prescott-mvp

Proof

Reaction score
Yeah I thought there was going to be something definitive in the article. I'm warming up to the ginger but the effusive (non substantive ) praise is relatively hollow imo

Hardline

Reaction score
A head coach had was key in drafting Zeke and Dak. Of course ,He's the head coach.

khiladi

Reaction score
By all accounts, the scouts did not like Prescott. He was a coaches' pick, specifically Linehan and Wilson's.

This author is making stuff, picking up bits and pieces from articles that say nothing of the sort to justify his conclusions. I quoted the link to the actual Peter King article he actually quoted from. You can tell how ridiculous this guys nonsensical take is.

It actually explains they wanted Lynch, but thought giving up three picks were too much. And they were actually targeting Cook, while the Raiders selected and were surprised they went that path considering they had Carr. So they took Dak as primarily an insurance policy for this year.

haleyrules

Reaction score
This author is making stuff, picking up bits and pieces from articles that say nothing of the sort to justify his conclusions. I quoted the link to the actual Peter King article he actually quoted from. You can tell how ridiculous this guys nonsensical take is.

It actually explains they wanted Lynch, but thought giving up three picks were too much. And they were actually targeting Cook, while the Raiders selected and were surprised they went that path considering they had Carr. So they took Dak as primarily an insurance policy for this year.
Sure. Anytime a Club takes a QB with their 2nd pick in the 4th rd you know he wasn't their dream pick! They got very, very lucky with Prescott. How many teams are kicking themselves for not grabbing him sooner! The Giants come to mind!

khiladi

Reaction score
Sure. Anytime a Club takes a QB with their 2nd pick in the 4th rd you know he wasn't their dream pick! They got very, very lucky with Prescott. How many teams are kicking themselves for not grabbing him sooner! The Giants come to mind!

I was just laughing at this guys account of Zeke. Everybody knows Jerry made the final call and was dying to get Romo a world class RB after the 2014 season. They were basically placing their chips on the offense and Romo being in this year.

Dak was basically an unintentional diamond, though I still think we need to wait and see how the sophomore season plays out. I do think Dak fell into an ideal position though with the OL and Zeke, plus Linehan has been pretty good.

I don't understand what anybody sees on Wentz though.

Romonater

Reaction score
You know, I may get flak for this, but I think Garrett has been disrespected this year. I have heard many people giving Bill Belli, Andy Reid , and even the coach from Miami as coach of the year( the name escapes me).

Garrett repaired a 4-12 in one year. Granted that had to do with the joneses, but you're telling me he didn't have a say so. Think about the mess that Garrett had to overcome to go 13-3

-Randy Gregory
-DeMarcus Lawrence suspension
-Greg Hardy departure
-The drafting of Zeke Elliott and Dak Prescott
-The Injury of Tony Romo
-The season opener loss

The man has his team with a first round bye, homefield advantage, and he's getting overlook by the names mentioned above? Shenanigans

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still think Garrett and Jones sabotaged Wilson to become head coach. That's why he didnt take the Baltimore job. When he was a coordinator he would not let Romo change plays, as a head coach Romo gets the green light. Oh well, doesn't matter now. I hope he gets coach of the year and wins us multiple Superbowls. Go Red!!!

ShortRound

Reaction score
The narrative will change dramatically if we don't have a satisfactory end to the season (whatever that may be)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's been fun watching it gradually dawn on people what's been going on in Dallas the last several years. Just swallow the pill and get on board the HC train. There's no stopping it now. Either get on board, or stay under the tracks.

Anybody here think he's not the hands-down favorite for Coach of the Year in the NFL in 2016? Anybody?

haleyrules

Reaction score
I was just laughing at this guys account of Zeke. Everybody knows Jerry made the final call and was dying to get Romo a world class RB after the 2014 season. They were basically placing their chips on the offense and Romo being in this year.

Dak was basically an unintentional diamond, though I still think we need to wait and see how the sophomore season plays out. I do think Dak fell into an ideal position though with the OL and Zeke, plus Linehan has been pretty good.

I don't understand what anybody sees on Wentz though.
Yep. That about sums it up for me too! I am curious to see how this plays out with Prescott in the long run. I have a good feeling about him.