Jason Garrett

manster4ever

Reaction score
Giants. But at this juncture it may be just as a consultant. Could work into something more.Its unreal how this dude gets jobs.

I usually hate the worn out term "failing upwards" but by god JG has done it over and over.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m just saying there are six openings and not much out there. I can see an NFL team hiring him. Not many former head coaches with a plus .500 record sitting around.

He’s still an awful head coach.

Idgit still was trounced badly.

Ah, the old, “even though he did win a lot of games compared to most of the other coaches ever, and even if he does get yet another NFL job we’ll pretend it’s expected, and Idgit is still wrong because I want it to be true, so badly” argument. You’re not the first to use it, and I can never figure out how to contradict it successfully. It’s a trump card.

I’ll just be over here, in the corner, recovering from all the imaginary trouncing.

But for the record, I don’t expect Jason Garrett to get any calls to be an NFL head coach anytime soon. Those were your words, not mine.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Its funny that this thread happens ......... Garrett has a meeting with Giants owner ......... Giants coach fired afterword .........

Never underestimate that redheaded devil when a jobs on the line.

nobody

Reaction score
Where’s your manly list of “jobs Jason Garrett has sniffed the last three years”? Do I even want to guess?

I used to believe in Garrett. I lost complete faith in 2016 after the playoffs. I have always stated however that I thought he'd be a far better GM than a coach. I believe he will never amount to greatness as a HC and would never sniff a Conference championship... however...as a GM? I think he might kick serious tail.

I'm afraid of the Giants hiring him for that spot.

JustChip

Reaction score
Jason Garrett was much better suited as a talent evaluator. That has been his strength. No wonder since his father was an NFL scout for 30 years and his brother was the Cowboys talent evaluator for veteran free agents.

Anybody who hates Jason Garrett lacks respect for former Cowboys players that participated in the franchise's success.

Jason Garrett played well for the Cowboys when called upon to do so. That should be enough to wish him the best. If he didn't succeed as a coach in Dallas it wasn't because he didn't try. I'm pretty sure that having an amateur, part time GM for a boss had a lot to do with it. We'll never really know just how much Jason had to put up with.

I could see Jason Garrett as a very capable GM in the future for some team.
As I recall, that was the feedback from Baltimore after he interviewed there - that he impressed as a GM candidate. Honestly, I would not be shocked if the Giants offered him the GM position. I don’t think they will, but I wouldn’t be shocked. Nor would I dismiss it as a horrible hire. I don’t believe Ozzie Newsome was ever a coach, but he made a terrific GM.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I used to believe in Garrett. I lost complete faith in 2016 after the playoffs. I have always stated however that I thought he'd be a far better GM than a coach. I believe he will never amount to greatness as a HC and would never sniff a Conference championship... however...as a GM? I think he might kick serious tail.

He is what he is as a coach. We can agree he wasn’t great.

I do think that Giants GM job makes some sense for him, with the right cap guy in-house. He’s a good process guy, well-loved by the owners. He know the personnel. Knows everyone in league management circles. And if they hire him he’d likely poach some of our staff if he could. I’m kind of surprised he hasn’t been mentioned as at least a dark-horse for it, honestly.

JustChip

Reaction score
He is what he is as a coach. We can agree he wasn’t great.

I do think that Giants GM job makes some sense for him, with the right cap guy in-house. He’s a good process guy, well-loved by the owners. He know the personnel. Knows everyone in league management circles. And if they hire him he’d likely poach some of our staff if he could. I’m kind of surprised he hasn’t been mentioned as at least a dark-horse for it, honestly.
I think the problem with them hiring him as HC is that would be a very difficult sell to the fan base. But this was a management team that thought so much of their fans to give them a free medium soft drink in appreciation.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the problem with them hiring him as HC is that would be a very difficult sell to the fan base. But this was a management team that thought so much of their fans to give them a free medium soft drink in appreciation.

You can’t sell Jason Garrett as a HC to a fan base anymore. Not after all the Jerry’s Puppet PR. But I agree that NY likes him and would otherwise consider it if he hadn’t been on Judge’s staff.

JustChip

Reaction score

Personally, I din’t think Jason was the Spawn of Satan so many do. Circumstances matter and I think that even the most ardent Garrett haters would have to admit, if they’re truly honest, that the Dallas ownership structure is one of the most dysfunctional in sports. For many fans, JG was unfairly characterized just as there are those that did the same about Romo and now do with Dak. Specifically, whatever was positive was due to others and in spite of JG; whatever was negative was due to JG and all others absolved. That was exactly the same for Romo and is now for Dak.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I’ve never said nothing is Garrett’s fault. I did say the offense in NY got worse and not better when he was fired and that the issues there are personnel issues, especially at QB. There’s no factual debate to be had about the former. If you’re being honest with yourself you wouldn’t deny the latter.

He probably won’t be an NFL HC again, I agree.

The main fault of Garrett was that he always seemed to be happy just to be here.

Rarely did I ever see him mad during a game or after, just always happy and always clapping. Big Mike on the other hand, I have seen him in almost every game yelling at the refs, yelling at the players, and just looking down right pissed after a loss.

Big Mike is not happy just to be here. As he said yesterday, "I belong in the playoffs". When did Jason Garrett ever say something like that?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The main fault of Garrett was that he always seemed to be happy just to be here.

Rarely did I ever see him mad during a game or after, just always happy and always clapping. Big Mike on the other hand, I have seen him in almost every game yelling at the refs, yelling at the players, and just looking down right pissed after a loss.

Big Mike is not happy just to be here. As he said yesterday, "I belong in the playoffs". When did Jason Garrett ever say something like that?

We’ll see if he belongs in the playoffs here the next few weeks. We’ve got one of the three best rosters in the league this season. The bigger deal would be not being in the playoffs.

But I’m with you in hoping he’s right. If he’s not, next season is going to be pretty rough around here.

cowboyed

Reaction score
The Mara's saw through him one tenth the time that Cowboys ownership did. He should have been gone here after three years.
There is 10 years of Garrett as OC and head coach documented history combined. So why did Mara then allow the hiring of Garrett in the first place, also factoring in an associated 20 games of competitive interaction between the Giants and the Cowboys.

Mara is no Sherlock Holmes and his team's record over those past 10 years is 61 wins and 107 losses. The Giants did win the Super Bowl in 2012 against the Patriots who had an exceptional season no less and that is to be commended. But after that Giants team competitive stagnation more often than not.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Garrett has an interview set for Friday in NY with Mara and Tisch. Funny stuff. If he gets hired in any capacity Judge is fired. The 2 hate each other.
You mean Garrett alienated another coach?Never!

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
The time he didn't use any time outs to try to get closer than a 58 yard field goal was one of his "best". The field goal was of course missed as time ran out and Dallas lost. I recall he said after the game that the kicker had made them from that range in pregame so he didn't want to risk trying to get closer and have a turnover. To me that clearly showed that he was in the wrong line of work, but I believe he the head coach another 8 years after that.
I remember that . Terrible.

ICP

Reaction score
Lol, we're at the start of hopefully a good playoff run and still talking about this clown

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
lmao, jason garrett is the biggest poop stain in the Cowboy's history. 10 plus years of wasting players' and fans' life.

yep, he was great. sheesh

yeah. let's hear that jerry was holding garrett back. wow, he even held him back in NY. lmao. this guy gets almost as many excuses as dak. ;)