Jason Garrett

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
8? You're generous.
Maybe. He spent 2 miserable years at the Giants, so I figured 8 more would be about equal to his 10 years as our head coach. Could tack on 3 more for his time as our OC. So, yeah, he owes me 11 more years, heh.

CCBoy

Reaction score
That settles it, the Giant fans must have forgotten how to say: 'Go Big Blue.'

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He needed to go
But to be honest the giants got much worse after he was fired
They did something almost impossible to do
They had negative passing yards for a game
That’s hard to do lol

Going from bad to worse is hardly reason to conclude Garret is anything but awful. They were bad last year too. The whole organization is a mess. The GM just retired. They need to start from scratch and rebuild the entire front office and coaching staff. I wish them no luck.

khiladi

Reaction score
You want to know how bad Jason Garrett was and his legendary Romo is to carry that bum?

Consequently, the "TO Defense" was employed by the Packers for the first time in week three, the sole purpose of which was to completely lock down TO and let the rest of the Cowboys team beat them.…

The way teams overcame this problem allyear was to "bracket" TO. Bracketing entails taking a DB and putting him right on the line in press coverage to bump TO and to guard against any underneath routes. The defense then takes one of its two safeties and plays him directly behind that DB, but 10-15 yards off of the ball.

Ordinarily, if TO breaks the press coverage Romo can hit him right away before the safety can rotate over.

When the safety is in bracket coverage, he is already in position to take over coverage on deep routes (go routes, posts) while the DB who was in press coverage can now jump TO if he breaks off on any shorter or underneath routes.

I watched every minute of every Cowboys game last year. After the Packers utilized it in week 3, (they lost, but TO had just 2 catches for 17 yards) it was the go-to defense for literally every single team they played for the rest of the year. Every. Single. Team.

While the Cowboys had an extremely successful offense game against the Packers (outside of TO), the offense never regained the swagger it had when it hung 41 points on the Eagles in week two.

Say what you want about Romo's decision-making ability, but I am telling you the Cowboys' offensive stagnation came much more from the fact that there was literally nobody open.

It looked like every defense was one step ahead of Jason Garrett every week of the season, and the plays called (a beef mentioned by many Cowboys players) were completely ineffective, leaving Romo with nowhere to go with the ball.

In fact, Garrett's play calling became so predictable, I can tell you exactly what a typical Jason Garrett series would be like:

First down—Incomplete pass

Second down (aka most obvious running down ever)—force Marion Barber on a draw between the tackles for one or two yards.

Third down (aka most obvious passing down ever)—Defense usually drops 60 people into coverage, Romo ends up hitting Barber on the check down for four-to-six yards. Time to punt.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/127728-how-jason-garrett-murdered-the-dallas-cowboys

In reality, at the time this article was written, very few members on this site were criticizing Garrett. TOs personality didn’t help, but the main excuse for Dallas was the defense and Wade was a punching bag. It was Romo’s ability to put up statistical numbers and make games relevant that obfuscated how bad Garrett was. Guys like @Chocolate Lab @TexasFrog were among the few critics that constantly pointed out the real problem in Dallas, with Mr. 3rd and Long Garrett offense that relied on Romo to bail them out.

The Cowboys went into the year predicted by some to win the Super Bowl. Well, to get to the Super Bowl, you have to beat playoff teams. Against playoff teams this year, after the week three Packers game in which the TO Defense was enacted, the Cowboys scored exactly 15.75 points-per-game.

To put that into perspective, only Cleveland, St. Louis, and Cincinnati had lower points-per-game numbers for the season, and I'm pretty sure you could pump your eight-year-old cousin Jenny up on Red Bull and have her call your plays for you in Madden and still put up more than 15 points-per-game.

That is a number that signifies an offense that is completely ineffective. And that is the production Garrett got out of this stacked Cowboys offense against the very teams he would have to beat to get to the Super Bowl.

JASON GARRETT is literally one of the most incompetent offensive coordinators in the history of the game. He proved it once and for all in NY, but this time it didn’t last even a half a season with major changes and the media and players bashing him. And this time he didn’t have Romo the extent of his warts. Daniel Jones went from 24 TDs to like 11 in two more games played the moment Garrett took over the offense. They went to bottom of the league in rushing attempts and yards and so on.

Jason Garrett never proved himself as an OC period. He was a QB coach in Miami, a name built on his fathers NFL work and connections, an IVY league degree in history and no real pedigree to establish himself as an actual football mind.

He ended up in Dallas, like his brothers, because his father was a scout here and the latter worked himself into the circle of Jerry. The connections to Jerry are like the connections to the Mara family. The father also being involved in the Giants organization before Dallas.

This idea he was a disciple of Jimmy and Norv is hogwash too. He came here the last year Norv was OC and was the third string QB and played more under Switzer and guys like Chan Gailey. Norv left and Garrett spent most of his time under guys whom the game has clearly passed by, like Ernie Zampese.
In reality, Jason spent more of his time when the organization was falling apart and deteriorating, with Lacewell and his Father at Jerry’s right hand.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Just another stupid post by a silly fan who doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Try reading some history on NFL.com. He ran one of the best offenses in the NFL when he was the Cowboys OC. That’s a fact that you can read about unless you just want to say something stupid. The only reason he was given head coaching interviews (2) that are documented (not the Cowboys) is because of the offense.

Jerry made him the highest paid coordinator in the NFL to keep him in Dallas. As a head coach, he was a failure….absolutely true.

LOL.....on the contrary I was 100% right about Garrett and you Garrett loving clowns have the sting of supporting that loser.

Proof is in the pudding. You and Garrett lost badly. Game, Set, Match.

Crying about it now and insulting those of us that got it all right wont change your disgrace.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Facts are just tough aren’t they?
You hate Garrett which is your right
I just stated the fact that their offense got worse after he left
You let your hate of someone effect your judgement of facts
I wanted Garrett gone long before he was and he certainly wasn’t great with the giants
But that doesn’t change the fact that they got worse after he left. You see that ad a defense of Garrett rather than the reality, which is just how bad the giants offensive staff really is

Another Garrett supporter and defender i see. The offense sucked when he was there and it sucked after he left. It was EXACTLY the players on offense that wanted him gone. Receivers were screaming at him on the sidelines.

But by all means.............show us your true colors.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
87-70 career record and NFL coach of the year.

Romo and Dak.

i think the Jason haters are going to be sad soon.
How soon? Didn't you say he'd be a HC after he left Dallas? Stop hedging your vets like the coward Jason was. When will he get a HC job again?????? Being a good coach and all

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've always had tremendous respect for you, but you're dead wrong here.

You're comparing Garrett to the average coach, but the average coach gets like 3-4 years and they're sent packing. The fact that Garrett was head coach in dallas from 2010 to 2019 yet only had 2 playoff wins should tell you a lot about his quality.

The amount of time he had most "average" or "okay" coaches would have at least had one serious run. Most decent coaches can turn their teams around in 2 years.
But what if all the average coaches were given 10 years?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly
And shows one of the flaws Jerry has
Whether it’s loyalty or not wanting to admit he was wrong

The decade-plus wasted on the Garrett era shows both. And a vision unrealized.

Jerry felt that Garrett would become his Tom Landry and develop into a brilliant, innovative, long term successful head coach. He was clearly wrong. But he wanted it to happen so badly that he did everything he could to will it into existence. In doing so, he gave Garrett far more chances than he deserved and pointed the finger of blame in every other possible direction.

When you change every other variable in the equation and the results still disappoint, it’s time to face facts. Jerry ultimately did, but grudgingly so, as evidenced by the embarrassing divorce.

Last edited:

jnday

Reaction score
I know many of you hate him. The rest of us admired him as an OC but could see, eventually, that he had taken the team as far as he could and needed to be replaced.

However, I laugh at the NY Giants. Judge firing Garrett and since sounding like a spoiled child with the media, anything to deflect from the horrible job he has done over two seasons. Did that offense improve or even tread water without Garrett? He was getting all there was, not much, out of that crappy offense with no OL and a turnover machine at QB. Who’s to blame for how absolutely atrocious they were without Garrett, who was also coaching without Daniel Jones?

Watching how poorly the Eagles have drafted and the total mess top to bottom in Washington, who would have thought the Giants would be so far from competing with anyone in the NFC East and entire NFL this quickly? And the crazy thing is they are still trending down because nothing from coaching to OL to QB to WR to TE shows any sign of improving.

As one who hates the Eagles and WFT much more than the Giants, I only wish it was them.
Garrett didn’t have the talent with the Giants to have a successful offense. It doesn’t matter who the OC is in that situation, they will fail.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett didn’t have the talent with the Giants to have a successful offense. It doesn’t matter who the OC is in that situation, they will fail.

Just keep in mind that as offensive coordinator he had a hand in putting that group together.

Also keep in mind that the much-maligned Daniel Jones was, in fact, much better and far more productive before he had Garrett as his coordinator.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneDa05.htm

Another young player that gets progressively worse while working with the falsely credited quarterback coach Jason Garrett.