Recommended Jason Witten is returning to the Cowboys **merged**

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Think about it folks. While it's true Witten isn't remotely the player he was at his peak, if he is willing to accept being a role player, how many teams have someone of even the quality Witten is today as a role player? I don't want him back as the primary receiving target at TE, but as a role player he could be an asset.
He will start and score in the Red Zone as before.

Zeke has to be happy, too.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just want a guy that stretches the defense out and makes things easier on our WR's but with Witten we aren't going to get that.

Whatever. It is what it is.

We'll continue to play in a phone booth I guess.

But, what if Witten is a role player - a blocker who only catches maybe 25-30 passes while Jarwin is the primary receiving TE? This move may well tell us the Cowboys believe Jarwin and Schultz are on the right path, and Witten is the veteran presence to provide depth and mentor the young guys.

Pants

Reaction score
Swaim:

seinfeld-saying-newman-meme-1432838940.jpg

bb721

Reaction score
So Dallas has no hope in Schultz or Escobar, they don’t like what they are seeing at the combine or in FA and they don’t have confidence in Moore scheming around it...

Gavin Escobar? Wow you really don’t follow this team very closely, do you?

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about this. Great leader, but, now progression will be taken away from the younger TE's. The redzone threat is better though no doubt. But, the problems with last year still were on coaching, Oline and a defense that didn't create enough big plays IMO. Not enough turnovers. Witten is also a year away from the game, physically. What? He plays one year? 2 years? Then what. Back to the same problem. Not sure how this is gonna turn out. I hope for the best, I just don't know.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I fail to see how Witten adds anything to the offense.

The Jarwin and Schultz were starting to round into form at the end of the year. I see further growth in their play.

That is, until Witten comes back and demands he takes all the starting snaps like he has for over a decade.

They were so bad at blocking that the Cowboys played Rico freaking Gathers in obvious running situations.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Man, I love Witt but 90% of the guys on this board could beat him in the 40.

You could literally time him with a sun dial his last season here...………...Now he takes a year off on top of that?

And we are paying him $5 million also...……...I just dont know what to think about this, its just...………..I dont know.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He was a great player, but Witten was never a prolific scorer.

He also draws a lot of over and under coverage in redzone so while he is not making many TD it does tie up defenders. This does not even take into account his blocking down in the redzone

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Is this a joke? I'm stupefied, mummified, nullified and it's justified. Great news! Now the kiddie corps can develop and we have a top TE back. Not kidding either. Best news in awhile. I'll take Witt over 8 game/season Eiffert. Lawd's yes

dckid

Reaction score
Just announced.
This move proves we don't care about winning. Just make sure the Cowboys stay at the top of the news cycle every few months. What a disaster this franchise is.
Bill B, wants to kick Gronk to the curb, we bring back a guy who is well past his prime. Time to move on Cowboys. He is a progress stopper. Bring him back as a coach not a player. He is eating salary and a valuable roster spot. I hope the Cowboys have the balls to be able to cut him when they realize he cant play anymore.
The team should not owe him anything. It's a business right?
My guess is he was going to be replaced on MNF, and the Cowboys/ ESPN gave him a lifeline to save face.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So Dallas has no hope in Schultz or Escobar, they don’t like what they are seeing at the combine or in FA and they don’t have confidence in Moore scheming around it...

It's Jarwin, not Escober, and the fact the Cowboys didn't feel the need to use a high draft pick on a TE or sign a high profile free agent TE may actually say they like Jarwin and Schultz, and feel they would be fine with a veteran mentor to the young guys as the 3rd TE.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
But, what if Witten is a role player - a blocker who only catches maybe 25-30 passes while Jarwin is the primary receiving TE? This move may well tell us the Cowboys believe Jarwin and Schultz are on the right path, and Witten is the veteran presence to provide depth and mentor the young guys.

I just wanted more.

It's a solid group but it's capped at solid.

That's why I wanted Eifert. He's a real difference maker and in the prime of his career.

If he got injured for us then i'm fine with it because Jarwin and Witten are similar at this point.

I also just don't value Wittens veteran presence at this point either. I'd rather the young guys step up like they did last year.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I don't care what anyone says...

I like this... And it's not like we had a TE worth his salt anyway

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Man, I love Witt but 90% of the guys on this board could beat him in the 40.

You could literally time him with a sun dial his last season here...………...Now he takes a year off on top of that?

And we are paying him $5 million also...……...I just dont know what to think about this, its just...………..I dont know.

yes teams struggle to defend him even in situation where most know that he will be a primary target. Guy is able to get himself open and make the catch.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He also draws a lot of over and under coverage in redzone so while he is not making many TD it does tie up defenders. This does not even take into account his blocking down in the redzone

I don't disagree with this, but the poster I responded to was talking about Witten actually being the one who scores.

NorthDalal

Reaction score
Kind of amazed, at the negative commenters.Jason Witten is everything you should want on a Championship contender and more.
Quick downfield TEs,with limited blocking skills are a dime a dozen coming out of college and Jarwin and Schultz's progress give us all the future promise the roster needs.

Now w/o a first rounder we can concentrate on bigger needs in the draft (pass rush,DT,safety) or free agency,and our somewhat short-range/short-arm QB has a 10 yd option with a big target radius.Think back to the play that defined the Ram game, Zeke getting stuffed on 4 and 1.

A two yard toss to reliable #82 could have been season changing.