Recommended Jason Witten is returning to the Cowboys **merged**

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I always wonder how people think a guy that in his worst year averaged 9 yards per catch is only catching 3 yard passes.

In any case, I would have preferred Eifert too, but only because we have what I believe are quality young guys to go with him. Those same quality young guys will be there to go with Witten too, which makes me feel a little better, but again, only as long as Witten is not used as if he is still the featured TE.
Our TEs have been abysmal.

This helps DAK enormously.

It will cut down on his sacks as he can quickly get rid of the ball when needed.

Witten can get 1st downs easily.

Defenses have to give him attention and that helps move the chains.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Kind of amazed, at the negative commenters.Jason Witten is everything you should want on a Championship contender and more.
Quick downfield TEs,with limited blocking skills are a dime a dozen coming out of college and Jarwin and Schultz's progress give us all the future promise the roster needs.
Now w/o a first rounder we can concentrate on bigger needs in the draft (pass rush,DT,safety) or free agency,and or somewhat short-range QB has a 10 yd option with a big target radius.Think back to the play that defined the Ram game Zeke getting stuffed on 4 and 1.A two yard toss to reliable #82 could have been season changing.
Yes..TE is not a need.

Awesome.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
ithink it has more to do with maybe espn going to dump him he is not a broadcaster this will allow him to get into coaching

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I’m happy with it

82, 89 and Schultz (what number is he?)

Maybe he’ll be #2 guy.

Is it training camp yet

Mr_437

Reaction score
Mane, go workout, take a shower and this is going on 26 pages in...Wow. Nothing wrong with this move, imo, since Witten knows he'll have a reduced role...#82 as a TE2 is hard to frown at.

Now, DAL has options at the position. Jarwin n Shultz could grow even faster with Witten around a la Sean Lee with Wolf Hunter n Predator. Or, draft a guy for the same reasons.

Also, Swaim could be re-signed to lock the position up with 4 guys with experience...making TE strength. Jarwin can be the seam buster, receiving TE in this scenario.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just wanted more.

It's a solid group but it's capped at solid.

That's why I wanted Eifert. He's a real difference maker and in the prime of his career.

If he got injured for us then i'm fine with it because Jarwin and Witten are similar at this point.

I also just don't value Wittens veteran presence at this point either. I'd rather the young guys step up like they did last year.

I thyink Jarwin and Witten are very different at this point. Witten is likely to be a better point of attack blocker than Jarwin, and he knows the game better, but Jarwin is much quicker and more athletic than Witten is at this point, and probably than Witten ever was. Great athleticism was never Witten's big asset. Being smart and understanding defenses and being in sync with the QB was, along with great hands of course, and hopefully those are things Witten can help Jarwin and Schultz learn.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Kind of amazed, at the negative commenters.Jason Witten is everything you should want on a Championship contender and more.
Quick downfield TEs,with limited blocking skills are a dime a dozen coming out of college and Jarwin and Schultz's progress give us all the future promise the roster needs.

Now w/o a first rounder we can concentrate on bigger needs in the draft (pass rush,DT,safety) or free agency,and our somewhat short-range/short-arm QB has a 10 yd option with a big target radius.Think back to the play that defined the Ram game, Zeke getting stuffed on 4 and 1.

A two yard toss to reliable #82 could have been season changing.

Some guys just gripe as a way of life Northie. Don't worry about it. Bang on @ no need to focus on TE. Good news in my books. all around. Would I prefer Witt in the Romo days sure, but I'll take one more of his leadership, attitude, and ability

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I'm not surprised he isn't commentating anymore. He was terrible at it. As for him returning, I'm honestly fine with it as long as he can still play.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It’s going to be embarrassing if we miss the playoffs which we usually do after going to the playoffs

Per Steven Jones, the team has to take the next step for Clappy to get an extension.

No playoffs = No Clappy

Deep playoff run or Clappy gets a bus ticket..................Its a "win-win" either way:yourock:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I thyink Jarwin and Witten are very different at this point. Witten is likely to be a better point of attack blocker than Jarwin, and he knows the game better, but Jarwin is much quicker and more athletic than Witten is at this point, and probably than Witten ever was. Great athleticism was never Witten's big asset. Being smart and understanding defenses and being in sync with the QB was, along with great hands of course, and hopefully those are things Witten can help Jarwin and Schultz learn.
:hammer:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never had to be prolific.

Just damned good.

The middle of the field just opened up for Cooper and Beasley if he returns.

He really wasn't even damn good as a scorer. In fact, that was really the biggest knock on his career - that he didn't score a lot of TDs. He only averaged 4.6 TDs per season over his career.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cowboys TE last year all 4 TE combined had 68 catches and blocking was subpar from the spot. Witten 2017 season saw 63 catches 8.9 a catch and was still getting it done blocking.

robjay04

Reaction score
If Witten was going to play 30-40 percent of snaps great but I feel he will be his usual 90+ percent self.