Recommended Jason Witten is returning to the Cowboys **merged**

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. Witten in the formation will tell the defense it is a run or he is running a short route. Do you remember the last season he played? The defense will gladly give him 6 yards on a 3rd and long. He can't run and drops down where he catches the ball. Bringing witten back is the same old offense.

You have a serious reading comprehension problem.

Dre11

Reaction score
Yes, Witten is a regular Adonis.
He conquers, he confounds listeners at
ESPN and then comes home --- conquering hero --- to resume an average year as a slow blocker.
Witten is unlike others. He can fight Father Time.
:rolleyes:

Noob...lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't care if DAL maxed out the cap and went for it

But if they don't cut AHurns and make SLee take a pay cut then it is a waste of valuable cap space

Restructure TSmith and ZMartin and get another 15m in cap space to sign EThomas and a DT and I'm happy

Cash over cap is the way to go right now ..... the future is here

And don't forget your favorite, Tyrone Crawford! ;)

He's right in that same category of lacking in return on investment. That $6 million in savings by cutting him would go a long way in freeing up more cap space as well.

There a lot of 'good guys' who aren't living up to their contracts or their starting positions, and it's all hurting this team's ability to be the best they can be.

plasticman

Reaction score
So which promising young player with potential is going to get shipped of to a competitor.

I'm not simply talking about other TE's. Witten is going to impact the salary cap.

And for what?

This begs the terrible we question...is Jerry selling out to win in 2019? If so, then in what other ways does he plan to put all his eggs in one basket and mortgage the team's future?

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
I hope he comes in and shuts his mouth. He's just a "hired gun" for one year. The young guns are the leaders now. I don't want this guy coming in here screwing with the confidence of this team. They made it to the divisional round without him.

Yeah... I'm guessing the 2012 NFL "Man of the Year" will be a bad influence on the new guys.....

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
So which promising young player with potential is going to get shipped of to a competitor.

I'm not simply talking about other TE's. Witten is going to impact the salary cap.

And for what?

This begs the terrible we question...is Jerry selling out to win in 2019? If so, then in what other ways does he plan to put all his eggs in one basket and mortgage the team's future?

You don't re-sign Swaim, end the Gathers experiment, and pick a tight end in the third round of a draft that's supposed to have plenty of good ones.

You carry 4 guys: Jarwin, Schultz, Witten and the draft pick. Witten ends up being a player/position coach to help develop the young guys. If one of them develops, there's no need for Witten or another older vet to be on the roster in 2020.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
And don't forget your favorite, Tyrone Crawford! ;)

He's right in that same category of lacking in return on investment. That $6 million in savings by cutting him would go a long way in freeing up more cap space as well.

There a lot of 'good guys' who aren't living up to their contracts or their starting positions, and it's all hurting this team's ability to be the best they can be.
No way ..... TCrawford is worth every penny

Not even kidding..... you will miss him when he is gone

I would have him start at LDE and DLaw at RDE

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No way ..... TCrawford is worth every penny

Not even kidding..... you will miss him when he is gone

I would have him start at LDE and DLaw at RDE

It would definitely be the better role for Crawford. The team does nobody any favors putting him at RDE.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yeah baby, the "sloth" is back and we better not see anymore tears about Dak not having anybody to throw his check downs too...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You don't re-sign Swaim, end the Gathers experiment, and pick a tight end in the third round of a draft that's supposed to have plenty of good ones.

You carry 4 guys: Jarwin, Schultz, Witten and the draft pick. Witten ends up being a player/position coach to help develop the young guys. If one of them develops, there's no need for Witten or another older vet to be on the roster in 2020.

I don't know if you use a third on the position because you've got a fourth-rounder still in the developmental stage.

I do agree that the Rico experiment is probably over. I don't like how the Cowboys handled it because I don't think they gave him much of an opportunity to prove himself. I wouldn't mind, though, if we waited another year to see what comes of all three of the young players. I wouldn't necessarily pass on a good player falling to us in the draft, but I just wouldn't make it a priority this year. I think if none of the tight ends emerges to deserve snaps over Witten, then we make the position a priority next year.

plasticman

Reaction score
Actually, I kind of sensed that Schultz was picking things up a little quicker as the regular season ended. It could very well be that we already have the next Jay Novacek, for example. Don't misunderstand, I am saying it is not impossible.

Could it be possible that Jerry and company are just thinking a little too much? How about some quality coaching and making our young guys better.

I love Witten, I really do but his best years are gone and his physical abilities have consistently eroded over the past 2-3 seasons, including one he didn't play at all. This is moving backwards, not forward.

In fact, it's a little embarrassing. This team cannot find a viable option at TE and so they are left trying to resurrect some old "magic". It's like when the Commanders rehired Gibbs.

The only guy I ever saw with a successful return was Too Tall Jones but he was still in his 20's.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Not about the money with him. He thinks they have a shot at a ring and wants it.