Signed by Cowboys Jason Witten officially signs with Cowboys, salary revealed

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys officially announced on Feb. 28 that the future Hall of Fame tight end was preparing to end his one-year stay with ESPN's Monday Night Football to return to the team for what will be his 16th season, anxious to play once again and well-rested from having a year in the broadcast booth. That has now been made official and the numbers on his deal are in stone following several reports of what his one-year deal would amount to. Witten will be paid a base salary of just $2 million in 2019, but can max out at $5 million if he hits all of his escalators — per Todd Archer of ESPN.

"The fire inside of me to compete and play this game is just burning too strong," Witten said, via DallasCowboys.com. "This team has a great group of rising young stars, and I want to help them make a run at a championship. This was completely my decision, and I am very comfortable with it. I’m looking forward to getting back in the dirt."

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...1Kkv2xSQT4bwtDLaRmoRmWir0lVUSjVFp4CqiDzYeGWPc

bb721

Reaction score
I heard he was going to be suspended for the year last year and that is why he went to TV

If that was true it would still apply now. It doesn’t go away just because he didn’t play last year.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If that was true it would still apply now. It doesn’t go away just because he didn’t play last year.
No..... games missed while unemployed count for a suspension.... you aren't getting paid so it doesn't matter if you are on a team or not

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
"We haven’t [attempted] at all," Jones said, via Clarence Hill, Jr. of Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "What you are seeing is probably lingering aspects of Jason saying I will never quit wanting to play. So you are seeing lingering that."

What?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
So this is a 2 mill dollar deal with incentives that can elevate the deal to a max of 5 mill.
Still depends on what the incentives are for the salary cap hit

If they count 2018 obviously he didn't play or accumulate stats and all incentives would be NLTBE
If they go back to 2017 he started 16 games, had 63 recs and 546 yds and 5 TDs .... those would be the benchmarks for LTBE bonuses

Cowboys22

Reaction score
So they even lowballed Witten. Took advantage of him announcing he wanted to come back. Looks to be a preview of free agency. They will be sifting through the bargain bin once again.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I like it.
what is there to like???? an aging tightend who has lost two steps, out of football for a year, can't get stretch the field anymore something Dallas needs.....really stupid decision to re-sign him...and I love Witten, wish we had ten more like him on the team when he was in his prime which was five plus years ago

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
So they even lowballed Witten. Took advantage of him announcing he wanted to come back. Looks to be a preview of free agency. They will be sifting through the bargain bin once again.

It’s all we do. But to the FO’s credit it has produced a lot of playoff wins. Oh wait.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Those should all be not likely to be earned since he didn’t play last season. Unless I’m missing something, that should leave his cap hit this season at 2 million.

bb721

Reaction score
No..... games missed while unemployed count for a suspension.... you aren't getting paid so it doesn't matter if you are on a team or not

But he was never actually suspended to begin with. So the missed games wouldn’t count towards something that never even happened.