Jason Witten question?

Swanny

Reaction score
Yes, I hope he enjoyed the dollars he made this year because he will not see the broadcast booth for quite some time. Love the guy, but he doesn't have those talents to make him a valuable entity in the booth.
Agreed. He is AWFUL for TV

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have always been a fan of Jason Witten and it is possible had he known the team would do this well, he might have stayed at least one more season.

That said, I think its a fair question to ask this ..

If Witten had stayed with the Cowboys, would they have been as successful this season as they have been?

I believe the answer is no. I think he was still a good player, but I think having him would have made the team just a little better to the point that it would have been harder decision for Jerry to go after Amari Cooper with a first round pick which is what it would take. Even more, I believe that a lot of the bigger plays Dak has made this year would have instead been dump offs to Witten and less successful conversions if he had remained on the team.

As I said, I say this without any bias or agenda against Witten. Even at his age, I think he would have still had a good (not great) year for the Cowboys, but I do not think the Cowboys would be sitting where they are right now had he stayed on the team.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Yes, I hope he enjoyed the dollars he made this year because he will not see the broadcast booth for quite some time. Love the guy, but he doesn't have those talents to make him a valuable entity in the booth.
Not sure what you’re babbling about but all indications is that everyone in the MNF booth will be back.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Hola, Cowboy fans!! My question is do you think that Jason Witten would have still retired if he thought there was a chance that we could be where we are right now? Did he retire because he knew he wouldn't have a chance at the prize? Is he kicking himself right now? Your thoughts?

He was tired. Look I loved the guy but he was in the way...

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Well, here's the real deal, as of right now, we haven't done a damn thing. Yes we took our division, yes we beat the seahags in the WC game, and are now moving into the next round. But until we walk off the field having beaten whomever is there in the NFC championship game.....we are only a ship having gotten off the dock, the rough water aint in the harbor, it's out in the deep blue. I like all true fans believe our team is primed and should win out. That is way easier said then done, and in a word wishful thinking. I hope beyond hope were facing Drew and his army of Saints come next weekend, but my question is, are we prepared to stay supportive IF we fail to make it thru this weekends game in LA? I say the answer to that is a resounding YES. And no I am not casting doubt either, it is still my belief we go, we play and we KICK some ram booty! Cowboys by 7+!!!!!!!!

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Hola, Cowboy fans!! My question is do you think that Jason Witten would have still retired if he thought there was a chance that we could be where we are right now? Did he retire because he knew he wouldn't have a chance at the prize? Is he kicking himself right now? Your thoughts?

Witt prolly still thinks we have no chance at the prize ;)

DuceizBak

Reaction score
Popular opinion but I honestly believe had he known we'd make the playoffs..he would have stayed.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
It was time for him to go.
The Monday night gig came up and he made the right decision.

Reaction score
Witten would be by far the best TE on the roster right now .
He was still playing better than 90% of all the TEs in the league
He retired with too much left in the tank and would've been a big factor on this offense

Last year Witten was about the 15th best TE in the NFL, one of the worst after the catch. He was 35 last year, and it showed. He was done. He was absolutely not playing better than 90% of TEs in the league.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Well, here's the real deal, as of right now, we haven't done a damn thing. Yes we took our division, yes we beat the seahags in the WC game, and are now moving into the next round. But until we walk off the field having beaten whomever is there in the NFC championship game.....we are only a ship having gotten off the dock, the rough water aint in the harbor, it's out in the deep blue. I like all true fans believe our team is primed and should win out. That is way easier said then done, and in a word wishful thinking. I hope beyond hope were facing Drew and his army of Saints come next weekend, but my question is, are we prepared to stay supportive IF we fail to make it thru this weekends game in LA? I say the answer to that is a resounding YES. And no I am not casting doubt either, it is still my belief we go, we play and we KICK some ram booty! Cowboys by 7+!!!!!!!!

That's funny, I would have said a resounding NO @ staying supportive if we lose tomorrow night. I suppose there is that vocal minority thing. Heck that faction isn't even supportive when we win:muttley:

uvaballa

Reaction score
Witten is an all time great. Has retirement could have been a blessing in disguise. Cowboys finally figured out they don’t have enough weapons and went out and did something about it.

I was watching his highlights the other day and he was a beast over the middle. He probably should of had 20-30 more TDs. I honestly cannot tell you how many times he was tackled inside the 5 in his highlights.

Hardline

Reaction score
Last year Witten was about the 15th best TE in the NFL, one of the worst after the catch. He was 35 last year, and it showed. He was done. He was absolutely not playing better than 90% of TEs in the league.
He was staticisically the ninth best TE in the league. He in fact was out performing 90% of TEs or I wouldn't have posted what I did...
I was wrong He was 7th so my point still stands
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...&statisticPositionCategory=TIGHT_END&tabSeq=1

Last edited:

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Not bashing Witten, because every single NFL player enhances, by using "gear" causes hair loss and sometimes when you break from using "gear" the hair comes back. Just saying. But yeah, I'd say he has a rug. The dude needs to just leave it be. Too young for a rug.

Are you really insinuating that Witten used steroids? Lol

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
I’d say we’d have been better off replacing him before 2017. He was an all time great, but was a major offensive limitation at times. He wouldn’t take reduced snaps either, so we really couldn’t groom his replacement.

He also left us days after the draft, so that kind of rubbed me the wrong way.