Twitter: Jason Witten wants to play for Cowboys, willing to play for someone else

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Big Mac was talking about how Witten wanted to coach , then Witten comes out and says he wants to play ...:rolleyes:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That might be the only way McCarthy will accept him back with the team...on a very team friendly deal?

That might be right but then again, it might not be. I've posted on this previously. It depends on what Offense we are running. For example, if we are running a two TE Offense, you typically need a seam guy and a shorter, move the chains, blocking TE. If the later, then we don't have a better TE for that role then Witten and we won't find one either. I mean, if you look at McCarthy's entire career as HC, he's never had a TE who has caught more balls then did Witten last year, in what was a down year for Witten. If McCarthy would like to move on, I understand that but it doesn't mean that other teams will not be interested in Witten IMO. I think there will be other opportunities out there for him and I think he will be able to sign for better then minimum. Hell, we paid 4 mil for a TE who was top 10 last year. That's actually a pretty good deal for us IMO.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Two or three years of poor play AFTER you should have retired can erase the memory of an entire career of good play..............think it over Jason.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Just shows what a joke his initial retirement was. We are about to be in the 3rd season since he did it and he still wants to play :laugh:

ksadler1

Reaction score
Love Witten, but every time I watch his highlights I wonder why he's the only one they always show in slow motion...Time to clock out big guy...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If he’s willing to play for someone else he’s just looking to pad his stats. He’s the longest tenure Cowboy ever, it would be foolish to play for someone else at this stage in his career when he’s not half the player he was. He’s going to hang around until no one wants him. Apparently he doesn’t want to go out on his own terms.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It is hilarious that some of these post points toward Witten being a problem on this team last season. Witten is not even in the top 100 problems that this team needs to fix.
I'm not knocking his play last season so much as saying he's too engrained with this organization and a new regime doesn't need to be shackled to a declining HOFer. They need players hungry for playing time and success not being forced to accommodate a veterans wants, desires & declining abilities.

That "entitlement" is one of the top problems this organization needs to fix. Not directed just toward Witten but toward all players.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If he’s willing to play for someone else he’s just looking to pad his stats. He’s the longest tenure Cowboy ever, it would be foolish to play for someone else at this stage in his career when he’s not half the player he was. He’s going to hang around until no one wants him. Apparently he doesn’t want to go out on his own terms.

Why do you say this? Perhaps he wants to win a championship? I mean, it's not as if he said he was leaving to go play for somebody else because he's not getting paid enough or anything. He simply said he wants to play for the Cowboys but if that's not a possibility, he might go play somewhere else.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Why do you say this? Perhaps he wants to win a championship? I mean, it's not as if he said he was leaving to go play for somebody else because he's not getting paid enough or anything. He simply said he wants to play for the Cowboys but if that's not a possibility, he might go play somewhere else.

Do you honestly think he’s going to win a championship with the Giants? One report had him going to the Giants to be with Garrett. The Giants are farther away from a championship than we are with a young QB. Most of the championship caliber teams including the two that will be playing in the Super Bowl on Sunday have elite TE’s. Witten’s numbers are dwindling each season. He had a number of drops last season. He made no mention about wanting to win a championship only that he wants to continue to play. It’s a great honor to play for only one team your entire career and be the longest tenure player in franchise history and he wants to tarnish that by playing for someone else. If he keeps trying to hang around he won’t be going out on his own terms.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I love Witten, true HOFer, but at this point in his career I'd rather have a TE that doesn't hit the ground every time you touch his legs.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Do you honestly think he’s going to win a championship with the Giants? One report had him going to the Giants to be with Garrett. The Giants are farther away from a championship than we are with a young QB. Most of the championship caliber teams including the two that will be playing in the Super Bowl on Sunday have elite TE’s. Witten’s numbers are dwindling each season. He had a number of drops last season. He made no mention about wanting to win a championship only that he wants to continue to play. It’s a great honor to play for only one team your entire career and be the longest tenure player in franchise history and he wants to tarnish that by playing for someone else. If he keeps trying to hang around he won’t be going out on his own terms.

Giants could easily get real good, real quick. It kinda all depends on how their young QB develops. Giants, assuming Jones is the guy, have their young QB. They have their young RB. They have Shepard and Tate at WR, they have Engram at TE and they have the Forth Pick in the draft, which allows them to go any way they want, in terms of a pick. They could easily pick the best player in this draft at one of their need positions or, they could trade down and maybe still land that player. Certainly get the second rated player at a position of need and pick up more picks. They are in the sweet spot of the draft and they don't need skilled position players. They could land anywhere from 3 to 4 impact starters if they draft well. Plus, they are going to have a significant amount of cap to work with as Eli is coming off the books. I think you are underestimating the Giants here. In addition to that, Witten didn't have a full off season before coming in and playing last year so it's reasonable to think that if he gets that, he is going to come in better then he did last year, in terms of conditioning and simple reps. You say he had a number of drops last year but then again, he had a number of catches as well. You do realize that Witten had more receptions then anybody on the Giant's Roster last year yes? Do you also realize that he had a higher recption percentage then anybody on the Giants as well? The fact that you say Witten made no mention of winning but Witten has always been all about winning. He said it's the only reason he came back. He has always said it's about winning so I don't agree that he has not talked about that. He always does. Lastly, he would be going to a team that will run an Offense that he knows and to a OC that knows him. I mean, I don't really see the down side of that for Witten, other then the fact that he wants to stay in Dallas.

Lets remember here, Witten isn't making the choice to leave. That decision will be made for him. I, for one, am not going to tell the guy that he should hang it up if he's ready to do that. Right, wrong or indifferent, Jason Witten has earned the right to decide how long he wants to play.

I'd hate to watch him in a Giants uniform but it would be our own fault, if it were to happen.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Giants could easily get real good, real quick. It kinda all depends on how their young QB develops. Giants, assuming Jones is the guy, have their young QB. They have their young RB. They have Shepard and Tate at WR, they have Engram at TE and they have the Forth Pick in the draft, which allows them to go any way they want, in terms of a pick. They could easily pick the best player in this draft at one of their need positions or, they could trade down and maybe still land that player. Certainly get the second rated player at a position of need and pick up more picks. They are in the sweet spot of the draft and they don't need skilled position players. They could land anywhere from 3 to 4 impact starters if they draft well. Plus, they are going to have a significant amount of cap to work with as Eli is coming off the books. I think you are underestimating the Giants here. In addition to that, Witten didn't have a full off season before coming in and playing last year so it's reasonable to think that if he gets that, he is going to come in better then he did last year, in terms of conditioning and simple reps. You say he had a number of drops last year but then again, he had a number of catches as well. You do realize that Witten had more receptions then anybody on the Giant's Roster last year yes? Do you also realize that he had a higher recption percentage then anybody on the Giants as well? The fact that you say Witten made no mention of winning but Witten has always been all about winning. He said it's the only reason he came back. He has always said it's about winning so I don't agree that he has not talked about that. He always does. Lastly, he would be going to a team that will run an Offense that he knows and to a OC that knows him. I mean, I don't really see the down side of that for Witten, other then the fact that he wants to stay in Dallas.

Lets remember here, Witten isn't making the choice to leave. That decision will be made for him. I, for one, am not going to tell the guy that he should hang it up if he's ready to do that. Right, wrong or indifferent, Jason Witten has earned the right to decide how long he wants to play.

I'd hate to watch him in a Giants uniform but it would be our own fault, if it were to happen.

No point in getting into a lengthy discussion over it. In my opinion the Giants are a ways off. Witten should just go out on his own terms instead of hanging around until he can’t find a team.