1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

Twitter: Jay Glazer on Cowboys coaching rumors

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Dre11, Jan 24, 2022.

1. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

45,283 Messages
    23,846 Likes Received
    Jerry doesn’t tell his coaches how to coach but he probably has a lot of say on what offense and defense we run and he doesn’t allow his HC to draft players. They have input but Jerry has the final say on who we draft. They don’t get to pick some of the groceries as Parcells used to say. Nothing ever changes regardless the HC in Dallas which means they don’t have much control. They don’t get paid near as much money as other head coaches in the league. Terry Donahue was going to be the Cowboys head coach after Barry Switzer was fired but he backed out because Jerry offered him half what other coaches in the league were making. The players answer to Jerry he’s the one who controls their fate. The head coach in Dallas has a title but Jerry runs the show.

2. Mannix

Mannix Well-Known Member

5,825 Messages
    6,575 Likes Received
    Rich Kotite could have went 12-5 with our 6-0 NFC East head start.

3. KJJ

45,283 Messages
    23,846 Likes Received
    I would rather have the head coach have the final say on personnel than the owner, that’s how we won with Jimmy.

4. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

24,564 Messages
    21,158 Likes Received
    If Jerry is dead or too feeble to be involved maybe. Doubtful if Jerry is around where Payton wouldn't get the control he would want.

5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

106,334 Messages
    36,560 Likes Received
    I think HC has a say in it, I don't think Jerry is making the picks alone. Jerry paid McCarthy around league avg. and raked 18th not the highest but not the lowest. Clearly GM has big say on who we sign HC does not have to worry about a cap, GM does. I don't think coach is just a title in Dallas. If you do that is fine.

Brooksey likes this.
  6. Brooksey

Brooksey Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    5,061 Messages
    5,728 Likes Received
    Jimmy Johnson would be my exception

7. KJJ

45,283 Messages
    23,846 Likes Received
    Jerry doesn’t make the picks alone he said it himself, everyone provides their input but he has the final say.

8. KJJ

45,283 Messages
    23,846 Likes Received
    Tom Landry had the final say on the players the Cowboys drafted. Same with Bill Belichick. Everyone provides their input and the head coach should have the final say in my opinion.

9. Brooksey

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    5,061 Messages
    5,728 Likes Received

Most get caught up with Jerry talking to the media....I think he leans on McClay (VP of Personnel/Director) his scouts, and coaches more than people think, just like every other team.

How about leaning on Marinelli for the Taco and Trysten Hill picks...ouch.

10. Brooksey

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    5,061 Messages
    5,728 Likes Received
    Only for the few we mentioned (Belichick and Carroll) and a few others. Do you really think Joe Judge was the final decison maker in the Giants draft last year?

CowboyFrog likes this.
  11. Doomsday101

106,334 Messages
    36,560 Likes Received
    Yes and he is not the only GM who has final say. He had final stay on Ireland wanting Demarcus Ware while Parcells want Marcus Spears at the 11th pick. Jerry had final say and went with Ireland and Ware. Lucked out and got both but none the less you had a difference of opinion and GM made the call. To act as if Dallas is the only team where GM has final say is not true.

Brooksey likes this.
  12. KJJ

45,283 Messages
    23,846 Likes Received
    I have no idea how the Giants run things.

13. CowboyFrog

CowboyFrog Well-Known Member

6,745 Messages
    6,133 Likes Received
    But the winning coaches are the ones you want and they do have the say...Joe Judge is not a coveted coach to my knowledge..right?

14. UncleRico

UncleRico Well-Known Member

543 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    Again, I know you, like I, were a MM supporter but can’t tell if you’re being facetious here…

15. KJJ

45,283 Messages
    23,846 Likes Received
    I never said the Cowboys have the only GM that has the final say on players.

Doomsday101 likes this.
  16. Doomsday101

106,334 Messages
    36,560 Likes Received
    No doubt Jerry would be better served to say a little less, having said that all GM will comment on their teams to the press, none get the attention of Jerry. In large part because he is owner. I have said many times If I was in a position to buy a football team, I would not hire Jerry as my GM, on the other hand I think he is just an easy target for everything and it comes with the job. I can honestly say I think for the most part we have done good in getting quality players more so now that what we did in the past. I still feel if you bring in talent you give yourself a chance.

Brooksey likes this.
  17. Brooksey

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    5,061 Messages
    5,728 Likes Received
    I believe in letting people do their jobs and the job of the HC is to coach the team not be the scout, the gm and the coach.

18. Kingofholland

Kingofholland Well-Known Member

4,079 Messages
    4,205 Likes Received
    The McCarthy hire wasn't dissapointing to me. Proven coach that has had post season success. It just didn't come with a lot of excitement as he was a retread coach.

The issue with McCarthy I'm starting to pickup is some laziness. Sitting back letting his assistants do the work and the accountability factor.

19. CowboyFrog

CowboyFrog Well-Known Member

6,745 Messages
    6,133 Likes Received
    Fair enough but again the coaches who win the most have major say in all of that...and you also never see thier GM or Owner on TV/Radio giving weekly lineup statements.

20. Dre11

Dre11 Well-Known Member

14,543 Messages
    11,284 Likes Received
    Yet Lafleur with HOF Rodgers couldn't go 6-0 in an equal division