Twitter: Jay Ratliff released...Ending His 8-Year Run In Dallas

burmafrd

Reaction score
Jerruh needs to start working on convincing waters to come back next year since the first 3 rds are going to be all DL in the 2014 draft.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'd also add Harvey Martin and Ed Jones

Hey, those guys are welcome in any list of mine but they were both DEs. I think the poster was actually talking about DTs.

But like I said, those guys can be on my list anytime.

burmafrd

Reaction score
One further comment on all time dallas DTs

Just like Hollywood could have been a HOF player if he had stayed straight, so could have Leon Lett.

DFWJC

Reaction score
18 million guaranteed on the extension and not one game.

Then the tag on Spencer this year and no games yet either.

Can't even begin to imagine how much 20+million for this year could have bought this team.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Can't even begin to imagine how much 20+million for this year could have bought this team.

Yep. I honestly think that with that cap space, we would be the odds on favorite to represent the NFC. Oh well.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
There has never been any information that Ratliff had any history of mental illness so mentioning Bipolar is uncalled for.

It's been mentioned subtly by many. Ware has even responded to a comment about Ratliff saying "good Jay or bad Jay?" Heard it on a Dallas radio station today. That he could be battling some kind of illness.

That's not uncalled for. It's not a big deal if he has it. In fact, it would explain quite a bit.

Blackspider214

Reaction score

That's our genius GM for getting us into this mess.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It's been mentioned subtly by many. Ware has even responded to a comment about Ratliff saying "good Jay or bad Jay?" Heard it on a Dallas radio station today. That he could be battling some kind of illness.

That's not uncalled for. It's not a big deal if he has it. In fact, it would explain quite a bit.

It is totally unsubstantiated. So unless you can provide a link that legitimately gives us reason to believe he in fact is bipolar then you need to cease with that line of conversation. It is against the guidelines to post unsubstantiated rumors.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
they were talking DTs, not DE's.
Lilly and White are clearly the top DTs of the Cowboys all time
After those two there is a log jam:
Cole, Pugh, Dutton, Glover, Lett all pretty close.
Then I would put Rat and some others like Casilas, Maryland, Hennings.

You are on a roll. Nice list esp going back to Cole and Pugh. Larry Cole played primarily at DE but moved to DT when Lilly retired. But he still counts :)

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
It is totally unsubstantiated. So unless you can provide a link that legitimately gives us reason to believe he in fact is bipolar then you need to cease with that line of conversation. It is against the guidelines to post unsubstantiated rumors.

Ware did say that in this posters defense. But I think there could be something to it. Considering what's happened with Jones and the confrontation and this very strange relationship with the team the docs the trainers the media and the DWI. Not completely out of the realm of possibility and it's just a discussion.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No such thing as being underpaid and I'm not sure how one could consider that a competitive advantage. If it is, it sure hasn't shown up in the Win/Loss columns.

My only regret with Ratliff is that we played him out of position at NT when he was actually good. There is not a chance in hades anyone can convince me he was ever a true NT. What a waste of a perfectly good scheme and a perfectly good player.

If there is no under then there is no over but I get your meaning.

I also agree with moving him off the nose. I am thinking more and more that his physical situation is overblown and that his issues are emotional/mental though.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

Yet? There are no games to be had when you're on IR.

18M to Ratliff.

20M to Spencer over the last 2 years.

That's a lot of money.

I think this whole situation with Ratliff just smells funny. Something more to it than the injury. It's literally almost been a year. His last game was November 18th. Guys come back from ACLs, Achilles, and whatever else quicker than that. The only injury I can think of in recent memory that has resulted in more lost time is Peyton's multitude of neck surgeries.

I think this whole situation has a bitter-sweet kind of theme to it. On the one hand, there was a time where people were saying that Dallas couldn't possibly ditch Spencer because they didn't have anyone behind him or any sort of player to replace him (Aside from that being a horrible reason to overpay a guy and aside from countless other players being let go under similar circumstances, that was a VERY STRONG talking point on this board). Marinelli has shown that good coaching goes a long ways.

On the other hand, Jerry thinks good coaching is pretty much irrelevant to some extent and struggles with identifying good coaching from the start.

So what we have is a situation in which Jerry may rely on the crappy coaching he chooses, which may ultimately result in sucky decisions.

At least Dallas has a kick *** stadium and is all but guaranteed to have half of their schedule on primetime bill regardless of how good the team is. At least we have that.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Such insight.....

I know that you have been one of those talking about cap hell for the past several years. So how do you explain the Lee signing?

Would you define "cap hell" please?

I know it gets a lot of play but I'm suspicious that there are varying degrees of "cap hell" in play.

I'd like to know what you think it is.

links18

Reaction score

There is a difference between posting an unsubstantiated rumor and speculating about something. People on here speculate that Jerry is an alcoholic all the time even though there is no confirmed evidence of it.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
There is a difference between posting an unsubstantiated rumor and speculating about something. People on here speculate that Jerry is an alcoholic all the time even though there is no confirmed evidence of it.

Jerry has been seen drunk enough times for that to be less than idle speculation albeit not proven. If you wish to discuss this further then you need to PM either me or another moderator. Do not post unsubstantiated rumors about people's mental health.