Twitter: Jay Ratliff released...Ending His 8-Year Run In Dallas

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
It's more of a cost avoidance than a true savings.

Dunno about that, it wasn't going to cost any more than we agreed to pay him if we kept him.

You're right that it's not a true savings because we've lost the product, but I don't think the product was worth much anyway at this point.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Yes, let's put it to bed.

Ratliff was 29 when he got his extension, not 31. ((Technically he was 30 by the time it got to the league office)
He was born August 29th, 1981. Extension was first announced late August of 2011. It was official September 3/4....

All Pro is pretty friggin elite. Ratliff was coming off 3 straight pro bowls and an all Pro season when we extended him.

And he was just like MB3 in that few expected him to be able to continue to play that well for much longer. Too small and too reliant on his quickness which is first thing an athlete starts to lose as he goes past 30.
It was a bad contract as regards our future; the only arguement for it was that what Rat had already done rated it. Which was true. But you cannot build a championship team based that way.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
And he was just like MB3 in that few expected him to be able to continue to play that well for much longer. Too small and too reliant on his quickness which is first thing an athlete starts to lose as he goes past 30.
It was a bad contract as regards our future; the only arguement for it was that what Rat had already done rated it. Which was true. But you cannot build a championship team based that way.

Add to that that Lee's deal is incentive based with lower guaranteed money then his contemporaries and you can see the difference. He is on his way up and has a great attitude and work ethic.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
right, but that wasn't the comment said.

poster 1: we are already over the cap, does this 6.9 m in dead money ADD to it

poster 2: yes it does

me: no it doesn't. Ratliff was scheduled to count 8.2m. Now he counts 6.9. So, we saved 1.3m in cap space.

was the best strategy? Arguable, but I think yes it was. Dez and Tyron are both due conntracts in 2015. This move saves us 30m in cap space from 2015-2017.

How do we save in cap space when the 6.9 is counting against our cap? The original poster I replied to stated we were already in a hole for next season and asked if the 6.9 would add to our cap. I said it did. The 1.3 we are getting credited just ate in to the 8.2 hit; making it a 6.9 hit we are taking. Had we kept him through next season and released him then it would have been and 11 mil cap hit for 2015. At some point we were going to be done with Ratliff anyway, so it makes more sense to have released him now than wait. At least he's off the books for '15 when we will be negotiating Smith and Bryant.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I'd invest in a decent JC before I'd ever invest in Treasury Bonds right now.

LOL......

Not to belabor the point but mans like Ratliff should not get fancy with how they spend/invest monies.
TBs are safe. No one claims they will give you more than 4-5% return. But the monies are safe.
If Ratliff puts it all in T bonds he can buy orange and purple business suits and make it rain at nightclubs for 30 years and not run out of monies.;)

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Fans are largely whiny, selfish imbeciles. Ratliff may never play another down of football.
He was a GREAT player for us for years at an extreme bargain to the cap and fans can't dogpile this dude enough because he apparently has a serious injury and can't help us.

“@Ianfitzespn: Jay Ratliff's agent @MarkSlough told us that several teams have called & they are now NOT ruling out the possibility of playing this year.”

Matts4313

Reaction score
How do we save in cap space when the 6.9 is counting against our cap? The original poster I replied to stated we were already in a hole for next season and asked if the 6.9 would add to our cap. I said it did. The 1.3 we are getting credited just ate in to the 8.2 hit; making it a 6.9 hit we are taking. Had we kept him through next season and released him then it would have been and 11 mil cap hit for 2015. At some point we were going to be done with Ratliff anyway, so it makes more sense to have released him now than wait. At least he's off the books for '15 when we will be negotiating Smith and Bryant.

rough numbers here. We were like $25m over the cap. Ratliff was scheduled to count 8.2. He now counts 6.9m. Therefor we are now 23.7m over the cap. Hence, we saved 1.3 m against next years cap.

nothing was added.

Common Sense

Reaction score
rough numbers here. We were like $25m over the cap. Ratliff was scheduled to count 8.2. He now counts 6.9m. Therefor we are now 23.7m over the cap. Hence, we saved 1.3 m against next years cap.

nothing was added.

If someone says "Great, now all we have to do is restructure $23 million worth of contracts" I'm going to lose it.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
We have to structure 23 million dollars worth of contracts! :)

Matts,

Thanks alot for that breakdown on the cap. I get the bigger picture now.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If someone says "Great, now all we have to do is restructure $23 million worth of contracts" I'm going to lose it.

More like 30m worth of contracts to be under the cap enough to sign rookies and conduct business.

But we'll release one big contract, probably Miles, June 2nd and save some of the 30m that way.

Romo and Ware will get restructured for sure.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Add to that that Lee's deal is incentive based with lower guaranteed money then his contemporaries and you can see the difference. He is on his way up and has a great attitude and work ethic.

When your agenda leads you it is all so clear....

Your logic failed here terribly. Might as well man up and admit it.

Sean Lee is a comparable or worse bet right now compared to Ratliff in 2011.
Lee is much loved by the fan base but truth is if he gets hurt in the next few weeks it'll be another open season on Jerry as moron

At least Ratliff had earned his 10m SB. Lee has merely been a good looking young player who has struggled mightily with injuries and had played a mere 3 games in this new 4-3 system.

dallasdave

Reaction score

Thanks for the info, we will call you Adam Jr.:D

dallasdave

Reaction score

nothing was added.

Hey, what's the dogs name?

Matts4313

Reaction score
More like 30m worth of contracts to be under the cap enough to sign rookies and conduct business.

But we'll release one big contract, probably Miles, June 2nd and save some of the 30m that way.

Romo and Ware will get restructured for sure.

I'm on my phone right now, but I think sportrac has us at like 144m including rookie pool. So, we should be near/under after restructuring ware and romo.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
When your agenda leads you it is all so clear....

Your logic failed here terribly. Might as well man up and admit it.

Sean Lee is a comparable or worse bet right now compared to Ratliff in 2011.
Lee is much loved by the fan base but truth is if he gets hurt in the next few weeks it'll be another open season on Jerry as moron

At least Ratliff had earned his 10m SB. Lee has merely been a good looking young player who has struggled mightily with injuries and had played a mere 3 games in this new 4-3 system.

OK, I have an agenda to be predisposed to young players with potential. I'll take that.

Lee's deal is partially based in playing time, so if he gets injured then the risk is hedged.

Worse bet, really? 27 vs 30; on the rise vs in decline; and I have to believe that there was at least some indication of Rat's character flaws, of which you will find none on Lee's side.