Twitter: Jay Ratliff released...Ending His 8-Year Run In Dallas

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
nice attempt at trying to change the topic

here is what you said

what you lauded in your post is actually a horrible way to do business in the NFL

please show me the results from this so called "competitive advantage" since the start of FA and since jerry has been our GM

the only 2 i can recall would be haley and deion from almost 2 decades back (when it was not known that jerry would overpay his players, that only came later so we cant really ascribe those signings to this 'cache' that you think we have with FAs)

havent seen much evidence of this "competitive advantage" in the last 16-17 years

the teams that have done well are in fact ones that have done the exact opposite of what you recommend..... NE, GB, giants, steelers, you know, teams that have actually won SB chapmioships recently

You do not understand how rewarding performance might help a franchise? Really?

Are you really deaf to all of the NFL players talking about how Jones is a great guy to play for? People were stunned when we didn't get Asomougha because the cliche is that Jones always gets his man.

Alternatively, did you think things like the Forbe's list of greatest places to work for are meaningless. Do you not understand that one of the drawbacks to communism is that you get paid the same no matter well you do?

If you want me to come up with quotes from a player saying that how Jerry takes care of his players plays a part in their desire to play here then sorry I cannot do that because that is how your 'prove' something like that but the principle for it is inundated throughout American culture. People don't like Scrooge much less a Scrooge you just did good work for.

If you do not think that NFL players do not see that Jones will reward good performance the we will never see eye to eye.

As for our cap situation, we have been in 'cap hell' once and that was when we cut Sanders, Aikman, Irvin and Smith all in a short window. Smith just strung out the pain. We could try and talk about the percentage of cap space each of those took up and compared that to Ratliff's contract but I don't think you are much into specifics and prima facia it should be obvious they are not equitable. For the time those guys signed record contracts. Do you think Ratliff's extension was record breaking? Sure seems like it because of your hyperbole.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
A split that cost the Cowboys tons of cap space. He could have played and asked to be traded. Instead, he stuck to everyone involved.. The Cowboys, his teammates and the fans. No respect for someone who doesn't see anything wrong with cashing checks to sit on their couch.

Yea, I agree.

First he gets in Jerry's face and then he fakes an injury so he can sit on his arse and cash checks. The dude was not hurt, he was faking that groin injury just to milk Jerry because he though Jerry was calling him out in the lockerroom for being soft.

Good riddance you bum, go find another team you can fake injuries for and cash more checks. Yea, the cap hit will hurt, but I would rather eat $7 large then to have this bum on my roster.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Would you define "cap hell" please?

I know it gets a lot of play but I'm suspicious that there are varying degrees of "cap hell" in play.

I'd like to know what you think it is.

Well, I am not completely sure because typically the term is bandied about by people in response to Cowboys signings or cap situation at the end of a season.

If I were to define it, I would say that your cap budget was to the point where you could not resign players that you developed and wanted to keep. Some people might define it by not being able to make big free agency splashes as well.

visionary

Reaction score
You do not understand how rewarding performance might help a franchise? Really?

Are you really deaf to all of the NFL players talking about how Jones is a great guy to play for? People were stunned when we didn't get Asomougha because the cliche is that Jones always gets his man.

Alternatively, did you think things like the Forbe's list of greatest places to work for are meaningless. Do you not understand that one of the drawbacks to communism is that you get paid the same no matter well you do?

If you want me to come up with quotes from a player saying that how Jerry takes care of his players plays a part in their desire to play here then sorry I cannot do that because that is how your 'prove' something like that but the principle for it is inundated throughout American culture. People don't like Scrooge much less a Scrooge you just did good work for.

If you do not think that NFL players do not see that Jones will reward good performance the we will never see eye to eye.

As for our cap situation, we have been in 'cap hell' once and that was when we cut Sanders, Aikman, Irvin and Smith all in a short window. Smith just strung out the pain. We could try and talk about the percentage of cap space each of those took up and compared that to Ratliff's contract but I don't think you are much into specifics and prima facia it should be obvious they are not equitable. For the time those guys signed record contracts. Do you think Ratliff's extension was record breaking? Sure seems like it because of your hyperbole.

Once again with the "cap hell" strawman that I did not mention

So, bottom line is that you have no actual examples of this "cache of positive feelings from players" and the resultant so called "competitive advantage" that our team enjoys

I gave you several examples of teams that do it the opposite of what you suggested

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Once again with the "cap hell" strawman that I did not mention

So, bottom line is that you have no actual examples of this "cache of positive feelings from players" and the resultant so called "competitive advantage" that our team enjoys

I gave you several examples of teams that do it the opposite of what you suggested

If you do not assert the cap hell argument then what is the negative outcome? Bad moves that have no effect? Makes no sense.

I named no emotion such as happy, excited etc. You are trying to use a canned argument but the prerequisite for said argument is not there. Try again.

What I did was named several principles and examples of said principles. Your flippant dismissal does not just make them go away. You are not familiar with recruitment whatsoever is obvious.

You named a bunch of teams and did not name any specific moves they made. Of the top of my head, NE ended up making Mankins a top paid OL after going back and forth with him for a couple years. Looking further, they also payed Vince Wilfork a contract with near twice the guaranteed money Ratliff got. Wilfork is all pro so that is comparable. The Steelers gave Hampton $7m AAV at age 32. GB gave Pickett over $6m AAV at age 31. Reese and Mara promised to redo Umenyiora's contract and then didn't. I suppose you think we should institute a policy of dishonesty?

Now give me examples of all pro linemen from those teams that show those teams operating differently; I already brought up Mankins. Skill position players don't count.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Ratliff also saved us 4.2m on this year's cap by restructuring and getting released. If they had cut him in the spring they would have only saved 1m(but no dead money for next year). This helped get Lee extended and Waters signed. He will have a cap hit of 6.9m next year, but there are plenty of contracts that can be re-done to make tons of room. Best case was still Ratliff playing DT this year and being a force in the 4-3. It didn't happen, time to move on.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Anybody listen to Talkin' Cowboys today about the Ratliff injury?

Broadas seemed to think that Ratliff was waived injured to preserve a case of nonperformance. I agree.

I've never heard of a player not showing up for rehab. I've never heard of a player yelling at the owner. I've never heard of so much confusion about an injury. I've never seen a team behave like the cowboys regarding the draft and free agency if they thought it was a one year injury. I've never heard of a player fully participate in minicamp 5 months after a one year injury. Of course the player had wreck and dwi and ends up with an injury more severe than the team anticipated. I've never heard of a player hurt himself in a conditioning test to where he was out for 13 weeks. Of course that player was seen running by media pretty much full go days after the test.

But by all means lets create some more threads congratulating Jay for his great years of service. The truth is that he at the very least has torpedoed this year by not revealing his condition.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Ratliff also saved us 4.2m on this year's cap by restructuring and getting released. If they had cut him in the spring they would have only saved 1m(but no dead money for next year). This helped get Lee extended and Waters signed. He will have a cap hit of 6.9m next year, but there are plenty of contracts that can be re-done to make tons of room. Best case was still Ratliff playing DT this year and being a force in the 4-3. It didn't happen, time to move on.

No team even Jerry would restructure a contract for a player they did not think could play. Jay did the Cowboys no favors on his way out the door.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I would think that the Cowboys aren't saying much because they are going to go after their money they paid Ratliffe. I have said before that this sounds like a a case where performance or not living up to the terms of the contract is involved. I hope Jerry goes after the money and gets at least some of it back.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I would think that the Cowboys aren't saying much because they are going to go after their money they paid Ratliffe. I have said before that this sounds like a a case where performance or not living up to the terms of the contract is involved. I hope Jerry goes after the money and gets at least some of it back.

I would like to see that happen.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
not going to happen. This is not a normal business. This is football. Injuries are a part of the game. I get that ANY of us would be upset to pay somebody and get nothing in return.....but that is because none of us are running a football team. Because Jerry paid Ratliff a bunch of money....Jerry thought that woud make him "heal" faster. But it simply does not work that way. This situation was doomed from the moment Jerry "questioned" how hurt he was and/or his desire to get out there. You would think Jerry....being around this game for as long as he has been....would understand that you don't do that. But like a lot of things that have plagued this franches for 15+ years...that is Jerry being Jerry.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
It definitely will be a legal issue. The issue of whether Ratliff's injury was a full muscle tear from the bone should be easy to prove. Most importantly they should be able to say when it happened if it happened at all. I'm sure the team and Rat's doctors have the MRIs to prove or disprove. Also, there is the issue of Ratliff eschewing team doctors and Valley Ranch and going his own way. Ratliff was missing and whereabouts unknown for nearly two months this year. The details of the contract might have something to say about that. MAybe the muscle tear was related to the DWI crash which would be a huge victory for the Cowboys.

I'm hoping Jerry Jones wins big and the Cowboys are off the hook for a lot of the money. That would be a victory for the Cowboys as far as the cap goes and all their fans.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It definitely will be a legal issue. The issue of whether Ratliff's injury was a full muscle tear from the bone should be easy to prove. Most importantly they should be able to say when it happened if it happened at all. I'm sure the team and Rat's doctors have the MRIs to prove or disprove. Also, there is the issue of Ratliff eschewing team doctors and Valley Ranch and going his own way. Ratliff was missing and whereabouts unknown for nearly two months this year. The details of the contract might have something to say about that. MAybe the muscle tear was related to the DWI crash which would be a huge victory for the Cowboys.

I'm hoping Jerry Jones wins big and the Cowboys are off the hook for a lot of the money. That would be a victory for the Cowboys as far as the cap goes and all their fans.

They are already off the hook. They saved 4.2m off this year's cap and 1.4m off next year's cap. They will never recoup anything that was already paid. He got injured and then re-injured. It would impossible to go back and say exactly when everything happened and how. The NFLPA is even suing the Pats trying to get some of the money owed Aaron Hernandez, who may have murdered people.