Jaylon contract theory mentioned on The Fan

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
What the heck... I'll play.

Jaylon's nerve almost certainly isn't the issue. What happens with drop foot is, under extreme trauma, nerves can "shut down" to protect themselves. It takes months for them to even start waking back up, and then years for them to heal all the way from the foot to the site of the injury. We saw this from 2016-2017. The nerves are usually never as fast as they once were before, but "never as fast as they were before" was 2018 Jaylon. Once the nerve is awake, it won't go back to sleep again unless it's hit by some similarly extreme trauma. Short of another huge knee injury, he's not going to sustain enough damage to go back to having a drop foot.

What I am kind of wondering is if his ACL and LCL are OK. In the freakout over Jaylon's nerve damage, a lot of people overlooked the fact that he tore 2 out of the 3 ligaments in his knee, and those both have a habit of cropping up later. They also make future injuries in the same spot more likely.

Odds are that Jaylon's knee isn't degenerative, most ACL injuries aren't. But that being said, his knee got pretty screwed up, so it's not entirely out of the question. The nerve is almost certainly not degenerative - degenerative nerve conditions look more like Parkinson's than a football injury.

My best guess is he's dealing some knee pain or complication that the team wants to keep off the injury report so he doesn't get targeted. But if this lasts throughout the season, then I'd wonder if his bad knee may be going arthritic Todd Gurley style.

Last edited:

Batman1980

Reaction score
They let Leary go over something like this and they haven't found a proper replacement since.
I doubt Jerry gives money to guys that tell him he's about to go into gimptitude.

Connor Williams is better than no lateral agility Leary.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Back in 2016 according to Dr. Dan Cooper, the issue wasn't degenerative. Smith's leg structurally healed, but there was a chance his nerve would not fire to 100% though he called the chances then "Very good" that it would.

As of last year his nerve had fully healed, there's no reason it'd go back the other way from what Cooper said then, so unless there's some odd new wrinkle that no one talked about yet, I'm not sure I buy this.

Smith's issues may be more mental than physical. He may need a few games to work the kinks out of how he's overcompensated in the past for the injury. He looked like he needed it last year too.

I'm an exec for a publisher and my company's finishing up publishing a book from a Sports Medicine mental health professional that's 250 pages of case studies and stories about just that thing. Sometimes the hardest thing with a sports injury is training the athletes out of bad habits they earn while injured, especially long term. It's not something that gets fixed overnight and there can be regression especially after off seasons. His book primarily deals with Soccer and the NBA, which he has worked in, but I imagine his stories have a lot of similar ones in the NFL.

Ah. Something actually well thought out rather than whatever it was that Mike Bascik pulled out of his rear.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
105.3 The Fan only has so much to talk about during the week. They throw stuff against the wall and see what will stick.

Don’t take the bait, lol.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Jaylon took a below market deal so he could launch his sunglasses line with backing from the team. He’s already working on his post-NFL career because he’s smarter than your average player.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If his knee was regressing the Cowboys doctors would know about it.

phildadon86

Reaction score
That's the point. Jaylon didn't tell him supposedly.
Lol. Come on man. You think he isn’t getting a doctor looking at his knee before signing? I think the doctors know more about jaylons knee then Jaylon does.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
have seen quite a few plays he appears to be on his tip toes running...could be something unfortunately

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Don’t know what it is and I’m not giving any credence to this theory but he is not running properly and fluidly. Something is obviously going on and I suspect we will soon find out. He will either begin to play like last season or he will likely be shut down for some period of time. Either way we will find out he had some minor issue that is cleared up or it’s a major issue that needs time to heal. They simply can’t leave him out there much longer not being able to run and cut at full speed.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I will say this. It’s kind of weird that out of no where Joe Thomas played 36 snaps against the dolphins. But going back to jaylon this has been going on since preseason. I remember him looking like he tweaked something. His movement is just not to where is was last season.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That was a discounted contract?
This. Everyone acts like he took some great hometown discount or whatever...

...I think he's overpaid. He's not one of the elite LBers in the league, but he's paid like it.