Twitter: Jaylon graded as our best defender yesterday

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
While we all joke about LVE and Smith being complete trash it goes beyond reading plays wrong. The DL plays a huge roll in making the rest of the defense look good. Unfortunately for the LB's the DL is getting blown off the ball and exposed making their job twice as hard.

This however is not taking any blame away from LVE & Smith
Smith is by far the least knowledgeable LB in football
LVE is one good hit away from ending his career

In this defensive scheme the LB's have to take on a more active role as far as taking on and shedding blockers in the middle. Both Smith and LVE are used to being "protected" by the DL and flowing free to the ballcarrier.

I think both of them struggle with the change. The best solution is changing the scheme to suit the players; not trying to make players fit into a scheme they don't fit. I think Mike Nolan is more to blame than Jaylon and LVE because we've seen both perform at a high level prior to this year.

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
If I'm not mixing my timeline up here wasn't Nolan running this same type scheme in BMore and had Ray Lewis (HOF LB) looking like he was over the hill and had lost a step. I can remember Ray campaigning for a switch back to the 4-3 scheme where he could have two big DT's back in front of him to give him the ability to run to the ball and hit. If I'm not mistaken that's what they did and Ray ended up finishing his career in the Super Bowl. I just think what Nolan is asking this team to do on Defense is a travesty and doesn't play well to the current roster at all.

MTerrazzano

Reaction score
I truly believe Jaylon has declined the past two seasons, and my speculation is the surgically repaired knee. The knee may be regressing, which leads to poor technique, lack of leverage and planting on the leg, which leads to needing to run around blockers and chase from behind. If Jaylon ever hit the open market, I seriously wonder if he’d even pass a teams physical.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Besides his whiff and spin-move out of the hole on the Cincinnati run play, I thought it was one of his more complete games of the season.

I thought in real time the pass he tipped would've been picked by the corner sitting on the route on a bad throw, but it was still a nice play. Won't take that away from him.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I’ll say it again. Anyone who knows or even just reads about football knows that you cannot judge LBs when they play behind a garbage DL. LBs are not intended to shed OL blocks on every play. In his best year two seasons ago, I don’t recall a single fan saying he was overrated or overpaid. In that same year, fans watched LVE dominate and proclaimed that we had among the best LBs in the league and were set with these young studs. I still see both of them giving great effort, but you cannot expect LBs to constantly make their way around and threw OLmen who are at the second level and also make plays at the LOS. I’m all for drafting another starting caliber LB for competition, but I’m not going to judge these guys yet because if they were playing behind the Washington or Philly DTs, I believe they would still look like studs.

Amen. Its comical how many people see one play and then spend a week posting "he sucks and he should be cut and no one would take him off waivers".

Bob Sturm does a weekly defensive breakdown and has HS coaches do film review ahead of time to put together his column. He has shown over and over where the scheme or the DL play put Jaylon in a no-win situation. But half the posts here are "cut that bum".

Kaiser

Reaction score
In this defensive scheme the LB's have to take on a more active role as far as taking on and shedding blockers in the middle. Both Smith and LVE are used to being "protected" by the DL and flowing free to the ballcarrier.

I think both of them struggle with the change. The best solution is changing the scheme to suit the players; not trying to make players fit into a scheme they don't fit. I think Mike Nolan is more to blame than Jaylon and LVE because we've seen both perform at a high level prior to this year.

Agree, I think its also a combination of things. The scheme is wrong for their skills, the players don't know it as well as they should, the DL gets killed and the LBs are forced into a match up against an OG that they will never win.

Then when the Titanic is sinking, guys like Jaylon will free lance too much and get burned trying to make up for all the other problems. Jaylon has taken a step backward this season, but the other things are bigger factors. Any Will in the NFL will lose when they have to take on an OG, but at least with Jaylon he has above average speed to make other plays on the field.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Nothing is going make me unsee the low football IQ plays #54 has stacked up this season.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Sorry Marcus, Tackle stats ≠ A Grade

Jaylon is king of running down tacklers from behind after they've gained 12 yards.

He and Vander Esch need new coaching -- or replacement.

In Fairness: I didn't watch the game, so don't know how he really played. Voch did rip into him.

Seriously, he needs to put the actual grade to provide actual context.

RS12

Reaction score
Color me unimpressed. That wasn't exactly the 81 Chargers they went up against yesterday.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Since we we arent going anywhere this year anyway, spend the next game watching Jaylon play each play......its very entertaining to say the least, it helps me get through the games.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Ask yourself this question: If you were a GM, what would you offer in a trade for Jaylon Smith at $9M/yr?

Anyone giving up a 3rd round pick for him? I doubt it.
Anyone giving up a 4th round pick for him? I doubt it.
Maybe 5th.

What players would teams be willing to trade for him?

If the payer has little trade value, what does that tell you?

Silly

Reaction score
I don't know... Looks like the D had a good day.. Not really a good time to dump on Smith.

fivetwos

Reaction score
He was playing ok at a point which I think was around the Giants game this year.

Maybe two good games.

He just looks very lost, and/or not sure, and/or playing with some sort of unexplainable abandon...I dont know.

What I DO know is this... the next time this team wins.....he wont be on it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I’ll say it again. Anyone who knows or even just reads about football knows that you cannot judge LBs when they play behind a garbage DL. LBs are not intended to shed OL blocks on every play. In his best year two seasons ago, I don’t recall a single fan saying he was overrated or overpaid. In that same year, fans watched LVE dominate and proclaimed that we had among the best LBs in the league and were set with these young studs. I still see both of them giving great effort, but you cannot expect LBs to constantly make their way around and threw OLmen who are at the second level and also make plays at the LOS. I’m all for drafting another starting caliber LB for competition, but I’m not going to judge these guys yet because if they were playing behind the Washington or Philly DTs, I believe they would still look like studs.
mostly true but LVE and JS have been taking the wrong first few steps ie bad reads to what hole to cover we saw it they have admitted it..far too many f those rush far to quickly the wrong direction..

not sure instinct can be taught but for whatever reason some of the really big runs could have been 5-10 yard gains but both of them took the wrong hole and got caught in the wash..

i realize they arent quite as bad as made out o be here but mistakes are being made..

hopefully with better DTs 2021 they get a better grade..

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Sorry Marcus, Tackle stats ≠ A Grade

Jaylon is king of running down tacklers from behind after they've gained 12 yards.

He and Vander Esch need new coaching -- or replacement.

In Fairness: I didn't watch the game, so don't know how he really played. Voch did rip into him.
Been watching the LBs play like that all year. They don't fill gaps, they retreat and make contact 8 yards downfield.

cern

Reaction score
Seriously ? So Jaylon running away from and around opposing players and running himself out of plays is him trying to fight off blocks huh ? And the only time he shows any speed is when he’s trying to get away from contact.
You see what you see. Same for me.