Twitter: Jaylon graded as our best defender yesterday

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
In this defensive scheme the LB's have to take on a more active role as far as taking on and shedding blockers in the middle. Both Smith and LVE are used to being "protected" by the DL and flowing free to the ballcarrier.

I think both of them struggle with the change. The best solution is changing the scheme to suit the players; not trying to make players fit into a scheme they don't fit. I think Mike Nolan is more to blame than Jaylon and LVE because we've seen both perform at a high level prior to this year.

Jaylon’s issues predate this season and Nolan’s scheme.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/jaylon-linebacking-hijinks.458428/#post-10215833

Last edited:

ICP

Reaction score
While we all joke about LVE and Smith being complete trash it goes beyond that. The DL plays a huge roll in making the rest of the defense look good. Unfortunately for the LB's the DL is getting blown off the ball and exposed making their job twice as hard.

This however is not taking any blame away from LVE & Smith
Smith is by far the least knowledgeable LB in football and constantly guesses wrong 90% of the time. Has no lateral movement and runs with a diaper full of ****
LVE is one good hit away from ending his career
Good Lord that was funny, and sadly.... True

Cmac

Reaction score
Can't be right.....has to be LVE or SLee…..the guys that are free of criticism.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Lamar Jackson is trash. If the ravens extend him it might be a worse decision than extending Flacco.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
i said as much yesterday. he hasn't been that bad. just the perception of some. he's had a lousy d-line in front. lousy backfield for the most part. ergo, opposing offenses choose to run, run, and run against the cowboys. since the front 4 don't do anything, our lb's, including jaylon, have to fight off blocks and make tackles. not the easiest thing to do.
Yup. He really struggled a couple games mightily. He was just up their guessing at holes and guessing wrong.
Why? largely because he hasn't had a consistent LB partner and the DTs are 2 gapping without winning.
The edges not named DLaw offer next to zero contain.
The team run fits are just horrible.
In the now infamous play Sunday where he vacates the ball carrier lane to rush to the WIDE OPEN Hole beside him you see the schematic issues. That hole he flees toward has no defender within in 5 yards of it and if the RB had seen that and hit it goes for 20. But Jaylon looked terrible(his spin to shed technique is laughably bad) on the play and people got their jokes off without realizing just how telling that was of the schematic issues.

A DT that 2 gaps has to be able to stand up his OL and then shed it and handle both holes. It is VERY hard to do and only the strongest guys with good terhnique can do it well. What Dallas has at DT is mostly guys who get pushed straight back into the LB and the LB has to jump around them to a hole. Dallas has been drafting one gap ball get off guys for 8 years. Now they have a totally new technique and the vet DTs they brought in were a huge swing and miss. They have a cock NT in AWoods and a rookie R3 guy in Gallimore in their just trying to survive. Not sure why they play the 280 pound 1 gap 3T in TC at all other than lack of other options. In this scheme he's physically a big DE.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are stats for everything, use your eyes, trust your eyes.

conner01

Reaction score
Let me say this- Smith and LVE are both very talented players.

But I've never seen two linebackers on this team look like they're running around without a clue as to what they are doing in all the decades I have been a fan. Maybe they start to turn that around now.
Makes you wonder how it’s possible both forgot how to play and kinda makes you wonder if the scheme is the issue

conner01

Reaction score
In this defensive scheme the LB's have to take on a more active role as far as taking on and shedding blockers in the middle. Both Smith and LVE are used to being "protected" by the DL and flowing free to the ballcarrier.

I think both of them struggle with the change. The best solution is changing the scheme to suit the players; not trying to make players fit into a scheme they don't fit. I think Mike Nolan is more to blame than Jaylon and LVE because we've seen both perform at a high level prior to this year.
Nolan’s scheme sux
Both jaylon and LVE aren’t built to take on 300 lb blockers

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I tend to think the people that claim he's terrible are just overreacting. But this is the opposite extreme. Smith is an average NFL LB at this point, just highlighted more because he gets paid a ton. If he were making $750K not many would really care or focus on him.
Not everyone is obsessed with their salary amounts. Garbage play is garbage play. There's no overreaction, Smith would be a barely average LB regardless of what he makes. Armstrong gets 750K and he's not very good at all.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Makes you wonder how it’s possible both forgot how to play and kinda makes you wonder if the scheme is the issue
What about last year tho - The difference from 2018 to 19 was night and day.

What stands out from 2018 was how fast they were filling the holes - their quickness to react - everyone was saying what great instincts they have.
I remember thinking - do these guys have the other teams playbook - it looked like they knew where each play was going, especially in that game against New Orleans.

Then 2019 - what happened, I know LVE got hurt but before the injury he wasn't lookin that great. Did they read their press clippings and not work as hard?

It sure seems like they didn't work as hard in the film room...

2020 - yes there's a point to be made about not having good DTs and playing in a new scheme but those guys are running around like chickens with-out heads,
ever see how hard they bite on play-action.

IDK but LVE and Smith are no where near the players that we saw a couple of years ago, whatever the reason someone better figure it out.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
What about last year tho - The difference from 2018 to 19 was night and day.

What stands out from 2018 was how fast they were filling the holes - their quickness to react - everyone was saying what great instincts they have.
I remember thinking - do these guys have the other teams playbook - it looked like they knew where each play was going, especially in that game against New Orleans.

Then 2019 - what happened, I know LVE got hurt but before the injury he wasn't lookin that great. Did they read their press clippings and not work as hard?

It sure seems like they didn't work as hard in the film room...

2020 - yes there's a point to be made about not having good DTs and playing in a new scheme but those guys are running around like chickens with-out heads,
ever see how hard they bite on play-action.

IDK but LVE and Smith are no where near the players that we saw a couple of years ago, whatever the reason someone better figure it out.

Precisely.

The guys trying to blame it on scheme are just trying to find a convenient excuse for his play. Jaylon was bad last year in Maranelli’s scheme. Again, the current scheme may be problematic as a functioning scheme, but Jaylon’s individual play is deficient. If folks want to throw LVE in there too that’s fine, but if I’m choosing the better of two evils I’ll take LVE every time.

KDM256

Reaction score
Can't be right.....has to be LVE or SLee…..the guys that are free of criticism.

Exactly must be a typo, because no way I refuse to believe the Cowboy's favorite China Doll in Sean Lee isn't out there making plays and coaching up the defense on the field like CZers claiming every offseason.

Availability is a skillset and for 6 games & 7 tackles, no secret this dog can't hunt anymore.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
i would like to know what his TFL average per game is ....as a linebacker in this scheme or any scheme, you are supposed to be the highest tackler each week since the DL have to take on the linemen and leave the backers free to tackle. Anyway, i am just tired of dumping on this guy...its not his fault Jerry picked him and then threw all this money at him. You would take it too. But he does suck and we need to find a stud to replace him asap. LVE is also questionable at this point after his major injury.