Twitter: Jaylon has played 2287 defensive snaps without an INT

Kaiser

Reaction score
Yes. If we had a motivates Ro McClain then Mike would be set.

If LVE is 100% healthy and continues to get stronger/able to take on trench blocks I wouldn't mind seeing him eventually switch. TBD there though.
It's like size size LVE would-be a no brainier but he's not there yet, especially in this scheme

Can you imagine a fully healthy and motivated Rolondo McClain and David Irving on this defense? Man...

I like LVE at Will, he has better ball skills and covers more ground. Physically he is a freak of nature in his size but that will be true at any position. I posted this last year but when I went to Oxnard for training camp, on the first play I saw him line up in the first team defense I kind of a did a doubletake like "Why do they have a DE standing at the Mike". It literally took me a second to realize it was LVE.

stiletto

Reaction score
I like Jaylon and have been disappointed in his play this year but I almost feel I gotta see him with another set of coaches before giving up. I'm not sure ours know what the hell they are doing...

kumizi

Reaction score
He's been garbage this year. That contract looks like a huge mistake.

Inb4 someone tells us the number of tackles he has.

coult44

Reaction score
since when do LBs have INT stats anyway? easier

how many do our entire DB group have over the last 3 years... ill wait..

LBs arent likely to or expected to get picks.. some more troll posts?

The Cowboys are -13 in turnover differential in the last five years. You will never be a real contender with that type of number. No, the DB’s aren’t any better, but the LB’s have to contribute to that number.

As far as Jaylon go’s, he is a very low tier linebacker who robbed the Cowboys of the money he got in his new contract. I don’t know if it’s a physical thing that everyone has covered up, or if he’s just that bad but if you don’t watch any player on the field except for him in a game , you will be blown away by how many bad plays he makes. On 2 out of 10 plays does he make the correct play. I like Jaylon as a person, but he might be the worst starter on the team.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
The Cowboys are -13 in turnover differential in the last five years. You will never be a real contender with that type of number. No, the DB’s aren’t any better, but the LB’s have to contribute to that number.

As far as Jaylon go’s, he is a very low tier linebacker who robbed the Cowboys of the money he got in his new contract. I don’t know if it’s a physical thing that everyone has covered up, or if he’s just that bad but if you don’t watch any player on the field except for him in a game , you will be blown away by how many bad plays he makes. On 2 out of 10 plays does he make the correct play. I like Jaylon as a person, but he might be the worst starter on the team.

His skillset is terrible for MLB. Can't change direction, can't take on blocks, bad angles. He simply isn't physical enough. He's clearly a Will.

zerofill

Reaction score
Jaylon just following the tradition our defense has for years now.....0 Turnovers!!!

Kris Richards for HC baby!!!!:omg:

Only thing I have seen amazing about Richards is his intensity, to fire people up.. but I don't know if I have even seen him in that way this season. He may be knowing a better offer is coming.

Jaylon should have at least 2 INTs a season... top middle linebackers get a couple a season often...
I mean he leads in tackles, but... you can lead in tackles with an offense running all over you.

What happened to them sending him straight through the middle on a blitz? Seemed to start having success with that at one time. Unless somehow I missed them trying to do that. But, I don't think I have.

Oh, wait!!!! I forgot it is is Dallas.... if something works, you change what is working at that moment, because it throws the other team off... :facepalm:

zerofill

Reaction score
I would say blitzing and attacking the pocket is a strength.

can’t have your MLB do that every play though.

Yeah, like I was just saying... before I saw this. That is his strengths in my opinion. He is fast... blitzing up the gut, when they did that, he made some great plays at times. Even though I remember a few of those were screwed over by other penalties. But, they don't seem to be doing that with him anymore. These coaches try to change stuff up that works all the time. Fundamentals, is some foreign friggin language term to this entire staff. They are constantly trying to run stunts, and crap that doesn't work. How about trying to just settle down, and run some basic friggin football defense, with proper execution?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Meh, this team as an entire unit seems to be allergic to interceptions. Not trying to completely stick up for Jaylon but there is a bigger theme going on here. It's obvious scheme and/or coaching is lacking.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Yeah, like I was just saying... before I saw this. That is his strengths in my opinion. He is fast... blitzing up the gut, when they did that, he made some great plays at times. Even though I remember a few of those were screwed over by other penalties. But, they don't seem to be doing that with him anymore. These coaches try to change stuff up that works all the time. Fundamentals, is some foreign friggin language term to this entire staff. They are constantly trying to run stunts, and crap that doesn't work. How about trying to just settle down, and run some basic friggin football defense, with proper execution?

I’m not even sure about that as his strength. He gets high and tied up with blockers when he tries and shoot the gap. I do think his strength is running in straight lines trying to beat a guy to a point (ie. DeShaun Watson at the goal line). That said, the game isn’t often played in straight lines, so you see his deficiencies exposed often.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Disagree the LB getting a pick or two is a bonus but nowhere near the top of their actual assignments..

might want to focus on them not getting ran over by RBs and limit TE production in the rare times they are in coverage.. etc

its the DBs job to get picks and well they are horrible..

Proof

Reaction score
The years we have played this defensive scheme we have had few turnovers. It is what it is.

i just don’t get why they don’t get a few by accident. Seems impossible honestly

robjay04

Reaction score
That was under Marinelli's cover 2. He hasn't run that here.

This system is supposed to be a Seattle knock off, right?

And that is even before Richard showed up.

Still...all the systems this defense is based off of are typically top half in the league in terms of turnovers. This team is just cursed in that regard or we are just very bad at drafting secondary players with ball skills.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Teams are scared to throw his way...

Sorry if that joke has been used.

quickccc

Reaction score
We're paying Jaylon to be like Bobby Wagner and Kuechly. If he's the Mike. So 3-5 per season.

There's levels to this. We're not paying him the big bucks to be a jag middle linebacker.

The organization is misjudging Jaylon's ability as an impact LB, especially in generating turnovers in the way of INTs, he's just not that kind of LB, ..he's just not that instinctive in that area.

the Luke Kuechly comparisons at draft time was ridiculous as much as Michael Irvin prefer to bark and cheerlead for it.... if Jaylon does create any turnovers, it's gonna
be in his physicality to strip tackle-fumbles and his pure collision as he can really lay a sounding wallop upon arrival once he's built up that straight line speed.

But if we are expecting him to be Bobby Wagner, Kuechly, or even a Jordan Hicks (cardinal LB who continues to be a master of turnovers) ..forget it - Jaylon is just not that kind of playmaker.
He's not near that impactful in the pass coverage. And he does his best work when he's moving forward, and when a coach can best scheme his blitzing skills.
and that's when i'm not sure we are always utilizing that area in the best design and way here. ..and that's Richards' task.
When Sean Lee was playing middle LB, he was easily one of the better middle LBs at creating INTs. Superb at dropping, anticipating and jumping passes for INTs. But that's long history.

- I actually think LVE would work best in the middle, dropping in the passing lanes and getting the INT picks. His instincts, movement skills and incredibly height/wingspan
would get his hands on that many more plays on the balls.

But recently re-signed Jaylon is always gonna be somewhat of a liability in coverage, and he's simply not gonna get INTs.
- And for those wanting him moved outside LB. He just doesn't have the lateral quickness and movement for that role, and he would be that much more exposed in coverage, imo.

quickccc

Reaction score
This system is supposed to be a Seattle knock off, right?

And that is even before Richard showed up.

Still...all the systems this defense is based off of are typically top half in the league in terms of turnovers. This team is just cursed in that regard or we are just very bad at drafting secondary players with ball skills.

It was ... but we also have to have the ball hawks to make it function and operate like the Seahawks.
Players make the system work, ..not the system making the players work. We just don't have ball hawks across the board as the 2002 Bucs or Marinelli's Bears crew.

We have two starting CBs that just wont give us INTs, that's gonna play into a huge factor in not re-signing Byron Jones, who could likely have a mere 2 or 3 INTs in a 12 year career.
We have safeties who will likely combine for 4 INTs in the last two years starting.
and LVE is the only LB that could likely come up with an INT,.. which are no longer a Sean Lee item since the move from middle LB.

and BTW, the INT issue is also why i'm still somewhat leary of 1st round trade for Jamal Adams in the offseason, he can get you blitzing sacks, but will he get you INTs in the deep secondary ?
(ala Minka Fitzpatrick)

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
since when do LBs have INT stats anyway? easier

how many do our entire DB group have over the last 3 years... ill wait..

LBs arent likely to or expected to get picks.. some more troll posts?
It matters when you are paid like he is. We can sit here and say that we don't expect LBs to make INTs, but we certainly should expect them to break up passes in today's game. He has 3 PDs this year...Eric Kendricks has 12. Jaylon only had 4 last year, Cory Littleton had 13.

Some of that is scheme and just opposing, but Jaylons INT and PD stats are reflective of the bigger overall issues with him, which are that he is poor in space and doesn't play with any vision or feel for the game.