Jaylon looked terrible today

Verdict

Reaction score
I think the linebackers (Jaylon and LVE) are looking rough because they don’t know what to expect from the DTs in front of them. I think they are OK physically.

The DTs outside of Woods are not very strong at the point of attack.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I think the linebackers (Jaylon and LVE) are looking rough because they don’t know what to expect from the DTs in front of them. I think they are OK physically.

The DTs outside of Woods are not very strong at the point of attack.

Make that trade old jerrah!

cern

Reaction score
And a forced fumble.

I dont think jaylon is off to a great start, but to me the greater concern is LVE. He's not had - at least yet- the 2nd year jump I'd hoped. And that is concerning, because I bough his Jersey, ******!
Our early leads are causing teams to throw a lot. That makes it tough on lb's. I agree about lve.

keysersoze

Reaction score
LVE had a really nice play on the first series IIRC where he knifed through the line for a TFL.

I have no idea what Jaylon is doing here (he’s done this on similar plays this year as well):

He got faked out on a spin move. But caused a fumble in the process. Every linebacker has been a victim of the spin move and that’s why running backs use it so much. It’s quite effective.

As to the first part of your post.. LVE is the one who’s actually playing subpar as compared to last season. Jaylon is outplaying him by far. Since you’re making comparisons of the two. You’re a stats guy. Go check the stats!! SMDH.

keysersoze

Reaction score
Context is key. Middle linebackers are gonna get their tackles regardless. Whether it's for loss or 5-10 yards past the line of scrimmage.

My point is his lateral movement looks like it did pre-2018. Dude is slippin & sliding all over the place.
So what’s LVE’s issue?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
He got faked out on a spin move. But caused a fumble in the process. Every linebacker has been a victim of the spin move and that’s why running backs use it so much. It’s quite effective.

As to the first part of your post.. LVE is the one who’s actually playing subpar as compared to last season. Jaylon is outplaying him by far. Since you’re making comparisons of the two. You’re a stats guy. Go check the stats!! SMDH.

I remember Chuck Foreman for the vikes use to do the spin move alot back in the early 70's. He was the first I saw using it back then.

kumizi

Reaction score
I’m honestly worried about our LB core. They were supposed to be the heart of our defense, but they’re routinely getting gashed. Jaylon looks gimp and lost, LVE is uncharacteristically missing tackles, and Lee looks like he’s already retired.

I’m not sure why Joe Thomas isn’t getting more reps

Yessssssss of course it’s great we’re winning... that doesn’t mean there aren’t still valid concerns worthy of discussion
Was listening to The Fan earlier and they said Joe Thomas was in on a few plays for Jaylon he wouldn't normally be in for. Something is definitely up with Jaylon.

keysersoze

Reaction score
I remember Chuck Foreman for the vikes use to do the spin move alot back in the early 70's. He was the first I saw using it back then.
My point exactly. It’s been used for decades because it’s effective. To point out a play like that as evidence of any player’s decline or lack of skills is ignorant. To say his drop foot somehow reversed healing is just as dumb. If I remember correctly Jaylon had some type of knee, leg, or ankle issue in the spring or summer, right? And I do believe it was the good leg that was giving him discomfort. No. I’m not searching for a link so don’t ask. Lol. But if people would watch the games closely they’d see he is in fact favoring the leg that was not repaired. But hey! People see what they wanna see.
Never mind he’s leading the team with 27 total tackles which is on pace for a 144 Tackle season. SMDH. Some people get on the Internet and just say anything. No matter how silly it is.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score

Lmao they're both playing bad but LVE isn't constantly getting juked out of his shoes and looking slow as molasses. There's something wrong with Jaylon.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The eyes do not deceive. Jaylon has indeed been terrible this year. He is currently ranked 62nd at LB on PFF with an overall grade of 49............ maybe he'll get better against better teams.

quickccc

Reaction score
As much as I like Jaylon, he's looked really off this season. I don't think I've ever seen a linebacker get so much praise, while missing so many open field tackles. He looks like he's favoring his good leg and overextending every angle.

Even on the forced fumble, he overextended, slipped, and barely got a finger on the ball. He can run fast in straight lines, & pass rush, but his lateral movement is just so off.. It's obvious his dropfoot is still an issue.

if Jaylon still had drop foot, I would think he still would be wearing a brace, wouldn't he ?
I think the drop issue is behind him, the only thing i'm hoping is the knee does not somehow become arthritic.

I do wonder if the Cowboys have concerns with his lateral range and reverse field coverage ?
As a result are the coaches planning to sub Joe Thomas in the coverage packages while Jaylon assumes
more of a blitz package role ? Thomas has been seen subbing for all of the LBs at one point or another. (keep starters fresher?)

as a starter, if Jaylon is not trusted to handle himself in coverage, that's a major concern with me as they just re-signed him to
a pretty big contract. and imo, i have questions about " star" players we have to scheme and hide his flaws, because he's limited.

I can't say he's disappeared as you still see his tackle numbers, and he did force a huge strip fumble turnover vs Miami to halt a scoring drive
but I do want to see more splash plays from such a hyped player, such as sacks, hurry- pressures, fumble strips, tackles for losses.

i'm in agreement that he's a forward oriented player that could be similar to ex-NFL LB Lavar Arrington as a terrific run and hit specimen,
once he gets momentum going forward, he'll bring a concussive collision upon impact. but does he also have Arrington's flaws and limitations
as a run defender and pass coverage. and forget the Luke Kuhley comparisons (per Michael Irving) Jaylon doesn't come even close to
playing the passing lanes for INTs as Kuehly does. Great athlete and specimen, but I still have questions about his overall instincts.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I think it is the scheme at the moment. they seem to be playing it pretty safe on defense, knowing the other team we have played so far really couldn't threaten us. They are playing soft coverages when we get the big lead and Jaylon isn't moving forward, he's moving backwards. I think once we start having some closer games that you will see a different defense, one that is attacking the line of scrimmage like last year.

I'm also concerned that LVE's tackles have gone from 10 to 5 to 6 in the 3 games. 9 solos to 3 solos to 2 solos. What's he doing out there other than not tackling people?

keysersoze

Reaction score
Lmao they're both playing bad but LVE isn't constantly getting juked out of his shoes and looking slow as molasses. There's something wrong with Jaylon.
LVE has been juked, whiffed on tackles and been burned in coverage. But I guess you missed that huh?

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
LVE has been juked, whiffed on tackles and been burned in coverage. But I guess you missed that huh?
Not to the extent Jaylon has. I already noted multiple times in this thread that LVE hasn't played well either. But does LVE look as bad as Jaylon did when he still had dropfoot? Because that's what Jaylon looks like right now, pre-2018 peg-leg version.

It's clear to me that you're a jaylon fanboy and you feel a certain way because he's being criticized more than LVE. I hate when fans of this team latch onto certain players and defend them when criticized.

keysersoze

Reaction score
Not to the extent Jaylon has. I already noted multiple times in this thread that LVE hasn't played well either. But does LVE look as bad as Jaylon did when he still had dropfoot? Because that's what Jaylon looks like right now, pre-2018 peg-leg version.

It's clear to me that you're a jaylon fanboy and you feel a certain way because he's being criticized more than LVE. I hate when fans of this team latch onto certain players and defend them when criticized.
Jaylon is most likely playing while hurt. As me and another poster pointed out, he hurt his leg, knee or ankle a little while ago in camp or during the preseason. I forget when exactly. But it’s not the repaired knee and hopefully it’s nothing serious that will linger all season.
Now again I ask you. What’s LVE’s problem?