Video: Jaylon Smith 88 of top 100

Proof

Reaction score
#88 on what would be considered a down year and still made the pro bowl....

Don't get the hate on this board for Jaylon who did everything in his power to get back to playing football at a professional level after a serious injury. Pretty much beat all odds and made himself a top 100 Pro bowl caliber player according to his peers.

You would think such accomplishment would make him a fan favorite among Cowboy fans, different breed this day and age..

i can’t remember seeing our fan base turning on a player faster before, save Dez.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Don't get the hate on this board for Jaylon who did everything in his power to get back to playing football at a professional level after a serious injury. Pretty much beat all odds and made himself a top 100 Pro bowl caliber player according to his peers.

You would think such accomplishment would make him a fan favorite among Cowboy fans, different breed this day and age..
Youd also think that same thing would make him at least somewhat humble.

LOL.

Silly

Reaction score
He’s #1 out of 100 in celebrating injuries or a tackle after 5 yrds...and being run out of a play. He’s awesome.

That has been the style ever since Garret was made a coach in dallas. Maybe big mike will change that?

mrmojo

Reaction score
Well he is #1 in branding.....better to be popular than good in today's NFL.

Qcard

Reaction score
Completely missed thread.. double posted me donkey:facepalm:

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score

“You would think such accomplishment”, the fact that you think making this list and the pro bowl are “accomplishments” is hilarious. Jaylon avoids contact and takes the worst angles. It’s not fans fault we don’t worship him, we’ve been seeing this guy underwhelm his whole career. Guy has the lateral movement of a snail.

KDM256

Reaction score
“You would think such accomplishment”, the fact that you think making this list and the pro bowl are “accomplishments” is hilarious. Jaylon avoids contact and takes the worst angles. It’s not fans fault we don’t worship him, we’ve been seeing this guy underwhelm his whole career. Guy has the lateral movement of a snail.

Okay I'll bite.. Underwhelm his whole career? Dude Jaylon has been in the league for all of 3 seasons. Out of those 3 seasons, Jaylon had 81 tackles his rookie campaign, 121 tackles in 2018 and accumulated 142 tackles this past season and you think this kid avoids contact? Now that is what I call hilarious. I don't know too many players who finish top 5 in the NFL in tackles that avoids contact.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
Okay I'll bite.. Underwhelm his whole career? Dude Jaylon has been in the league for all of 3 seasons. Out of those 3 seasons, Jaylon had 81 tackles his rookie campaign, 121 tackles in 2018 and accumulated 142 tackles this past season and you think this kid avoids contact? Now that is what I call hilarious. I don't know too many players who finish top 5 in the NFL in tackles that avoids contact.
He avoids downhill contact. Literally a majority of his tackles are from behind, 5-15 yards down the field. Tackles don’t mean **** when your defense is being whipped up and down the field.

The existential problem with the tackle statistic is that not all tackles are created equal. The lack of appropriate context saps almost all use from the measure.

Furthermore, the tackle statistic rewards those playing in a poor defense or at a particular position, based on nothing more than receiving extra opportunities. A safety playing behind a weak front might rack up meaningless tackles at the second level, while a middle linebacker is naturally around the football more. While tackles can show who is around the football most, the stat is completely unable to tally legitimate impact. Defenses who are getting beat up all game, have more opportunities for higher tackle numbers.

Jaylon has been underwhelming. Just much as post-rookie season LVE . Stop being a homer.

Valkyr

Reaction score
As an aside, TJ Watt #25

tenor.gif

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really think he’s playing out of position given his current physical limitations. He’s explosive when pursuing in one direction. His problems come when he has to change directions and move laterally. I think if you lined him up as a 3-4 OLB he could be a double digit sack guy. He’s proving he has tremendous closing speed when he’s blitzed.

They moved him to OLB this year.

New DC Mike Nolan run a hybrid 4-3/3-4 defense.

Nolan likes to have hybrid DE/LB types that are similar to 3-4 OLBs.

pitt33

Reaction score
He looks good until you see the 22 view and watch him struggle to make cuts. Hope he comes back strong this year.
People need to realize Jaylon Smith isn’t going to get any better than this current version. It would have been great to see the Notre Dame version. But then again, if that was the case he wouldn’t be a Dallas Cowboy.

Paradox

Reaction score
In 2018 he was playing for the extension. After he got paid he wasn't looking to risk anything with his leg, hence the shoddy 2019 performance. Now that he's had an entire off-season to swallow the criticisms, my guess is he'll be back with a vengeance. I expect to see more risks and less fancy pants maneuvers. He's a great blitzing LB who's still fast and hits hard. Being reactive is not his bag anymore, as has been thoroughly discussed here. McCarthy surely knows this and will use him accordingly.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
He definitely didn't play well last year but neither did anyone on the defense outside of D Law and Quinn. Let's hope they can all improve.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
He definitely didn't play well last year but neither did anyone on the defense outside of D Law and Quinn. Let's hope they can all improve.
People keep saying Quinn played well. He did one thing, and one thing only, well. Rush the passer. He was a dumpster fire against the run.