Jaylon Smith has been exposed

perrykemp

Reaction score
he played really well last year, what’s wrong with being excited about a player on your team playing well?

He <was> good last year, no doubt.

Reminds me of how excited we all got in 2012 when Bruce Carter exploded for a fantastic 2nd year.

He sucked in years 3 and 4 and didn't even get a 2nd contract.

Teams figured out he was fantastic (along with Sean Lee) and running sideline to sideline but sucked at taking on blockers and runners straight on.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They showed a shot of thim from overhead running and cutting and all I could think of was...what is wrong with the way he's moving. FWIW

Proof

Reaction score
He <was> good last year, no doubt.

Reminds me of how excited we all got in 2012 when Bruce Carter exploded for a fantastic 2nd year.

He sucked in years 3 and 4 and didn't even get a 2nd contract.

Teams figured out he was fantastic (along with Sean Lee) and running sideline to sideline but sucked at taking on blockers and runners straight on.

I think that a point of distinction though is that Jaylon was also previously really good (Butkus award winner) so it's not as if we should have expected a precipitous drop-off. Seemed like he'd worked his way back to that previous "best LB in the country form". And I'm sure a huge majority of us were really thrilled and happy for the kid.

lockster

Reaction score
To be fair, every opinion from a fan is an armchair opinion. None of us are playing, coaching or covering the team and game for a living.
Yes, which means his opinion about armchair experts was an armchair opinion too, which shouldn't be listened to. :). His statement is a self refuting statement. Glad you picked up on that. Lol. To be straight about armchair opinions, how does one decide they are less knowledgeable than someone who coach's, and especially the coaches whose team is 6 and 7. Lol. You don't have to be skydiver to know that if Ur parachute doesn't open , you are going to die! Lol. Logic is a subject that no longer taught in school and it shows in society, in places like this forum. :)

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
he played really well last year, what’s wrong with being excited about a player on your team playing well? Having an opinion doesn’t =/= being an armchair expert anymore than disagreeing with said opinion. Our fans are a bunch of in-fighting weirdos

He had a good year overall last year but some of the glaring issues people are seeing now were there last season too.

I think most people including myself rationalized it by saying he’s still getting his legs under him and learning how to play professional football. His arrow appeared to be going up. He’s regressed dramatically this season.

kskboys

Reaction score
On one play, the ball carrier cut inside him. Instead of planting his foot and cutting back, Jaylon kept running. Looked like a semi trying to turn.

Just one play I saw.

snapper

Reaction score
Like the guy alot but I have noticed some things about him..

Last night they isolated him in pass plays. At one point they threw at him until they scored.

Each time he was beaten but their QB was inaccurate each time..not Smith providing good coverage.

Jaylon is fine if the offensive player is square up on him, but if the offensive player is going off on an angle..Jaylon has to turn and pursue. He's slow doing this.

He is better when Wolf Hunter is playing. He covers for Jaylon alot.

Also he runs much better going to his right and not left. I assume this is due to his surgery. Do not know.

So as I said..I like him alot but not sure he will ever be a complete lber again.

Everyone player on the Cowboys has been exposed.

Wouldn't it be great if the Cowboys coaches actually tried to disguise their liabilities, personnel wise, both of offense and defense? At the same time, wouldn't it also be great if they actually schemed against the other team's personnel weaknesses?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I love how this board crucified anybody who said Smith was not suited to play the position he is playing and now the board is throwing him under the bus. He's not as good as everybody claimed and those who tried to point that out will not get any apologies for telling the truth and getting treated horribly for it. He is not as bad as some are making him out to be now and those who will, likewise get treated horribly for point that out will also never see any apologies when they are eventually proven right.

Another day on the board I guess.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
If I had the skills I would put together some tape of him from yesterday. It would be so much embarrassing material in one game it would seem like a careers worth.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
Like the guy alot but I have noticed some things about him..

Last night they isolated him in pass plays. At one point they threw at him until they scored.

Each time he was beaten but their QB was inaccurate each time..not Smith providing good coverage.

Jaylon is fine if the offensive player is square up on him, but if the offensive player is going off on an angle..Jaylon has to turn and pursue. He's slow doing this.

He is better when Wolf Hunter is playing. He covers for Jaylon alot.

Also he runs much better going to his right and not left. I assume this is due to his surgery. Do not know.

So as I said..I like him alot but not sure he will ever be a complete lber again.

His gait sideline to sideline is awkward. Runs a little like someone walks when their foot is asleep.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I just don't understand why jaylon isn't paid much more ? !

much much more !... Its not like we have a cap !?

"we can always figure out ways to pay players and move the cap. "

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
He is a liability on the field.
I assume becuz of the extension they feel he will eventually improve.

I hope so and Wolf Hunter.

They need him alot as well. They play better when they pair up.

Sort of like Dak and Zeke. One without the other is glass half empty.

:p

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I love how this board crucified anybody who said Smith was not suited to play the position he is playing and now the board is throwing him under the bus. He's not as good as everybody claimed and those who tried to point that out will not get any apologies for telling the truth and getting treated horribly for it. He is not as bad as some are making him out to be now and those who will, likewise get treated horribly for point that out will also never see any apologies when they are eventually proven right.

Another day on the board I guess.

In fairness, you also said the Warriors and Durant would never win because nobody would want to pass the ball.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
When a new coaching staff comes in that has no connection to him (drafting or rehabbing him), I see them cutting ties. His weaknesses will only get more and more glaring like it did for safety Roy Williams. Unless someone is coming in a direct line to him he's useless.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
Send him to Buffalo along with fat boy Elliott for a mid round draft pick. They like are players that suck