Jaylon Smith has been exposed

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Look guys, the problem with Jaylon is he has limited lateral flexibility in his knee. He either cant or he is scared to let his knee experience any significant lateral torque, which mainly happens when you change direction sideways very quickly. He is scared the knee will not hold up and something will tear, most likely another ligament, or he knows his knee will not hold up and will get injured. Either way is not good.

That is why you see him mostly running straight ahead or if he is running sideways, he continues in the same direction. He cannot stop, plant, change direction, accelerate, stope, change direction again, ect.....As a result, teams are going after him and will continue to go after him in coverage because they know he cant stay with receiver.

He really needs to come off the field on 3rd downs if nothing else.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Like the guy alot but I have noticed some things about him..

Last night they isolated him in pass plays. At one point they threw at him until they scored.

Each time he was beaten but their QB was inaccurate each time..not Smith providing good coverage.

Jaylon is fine if the offensive player is square up on him, but if the offensive player is going off on an angle..Jaylon has to turn and pursue. He's slow doing this.

He is better when Wolf Hunter is playing. He covers for Jaylon alot.

Also he runs much better going to his right and not left. I assume this is due to his surgery. Do not know.

So as I said..I like him alot but not sure he will ever be a complete lber again.

Jaylon hasn't looked right all season. It's gone from a physical issue to a mental issue. He's just not showing the same aggressiveness he did last year. I wonder if he's just getting worn down. 100% of defensive snaps last 5 or 6 games.

It's funny about the coverage issue. What really set him apart as a prospect was his man coverage ability. Fluid, agile, fast, but good size.

Walker has been saying he think Jaylon looks heavier, and that has affected his agility.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
To his credit they got the mismatch they wanted. When they finally scored, it was their #1 reciever on a linebacker. I'll take Amari against any linebacker in the NFL in that situation.

Yeah, I wouldn't give Jaylon grief about failing to cover a WR in man coverage. How about maybe the DC doesn't make him man cover WRs instead?

"We do what we do! Next man up!"

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Jaylon has been exposed to care more about things like 2 phones and leading the division. I can't post the Athletic article but is basically talks about how laid back he is about these losses while guys like Quinn are peeved.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His coverage actually wasn't bad on those plays. He was right there. It took 3 throws, and at least one of the 1st two was a good throw ( I don't remember the other one).

The biggest area where Smith has been exposed is that he is not a tough run stuffer at MLB. Both he and LVE are great pursuing from sideline to sideline, but fighting through blocks in traffic is not their strength.

Mannix

Reaction score
If you are gonna call this guy out, at least call him by his correct name....AGAIN, it's Jaclyn Smith!

quickccc

Reaction score
The whole Defense was exposed and ran over. Listening to Aikman at the beginning of the game and was talking about how bad the bears line is and our Defense should feast all night. By the 3rd quarter he was in shock at how bad they were playing. Lol.

as what it's seemingly, virtually every team's opposing OL is taking advantage of our front seven, ..that's been the huge problem. We've added Quinn, ...we've added Bennett, and yet
teams are still wearing out and out physical-ing our defensive front.

We're getting out-schemed, we're easily to fool by misdirection, we over pursue, we cannot sustain gaps, we cannot get off blocks, we have questionable sub-rotations and sideline our best
players at the wrong opportunistic times, and we eventually just seem to wear down.

what does it tell you when you have teams that don't even normally run the ball well... all of a sudden, run the ball well against us ?

the Pats don't run the ball well.. but they manage to run the ball against us.
the Bills run the ball well against us .... the Bears are certainly not a run ball team, they are usually among the worst, and Nagy often abandons the run, but guess what - we are so vulnerable
and weak, the Bears run all over us.

and it's not just rushing the ball, it's not why we cannot generate a pass rush through the game, but we ever struggle against screen passes, RB, TE, or an WR bubble screen.
sloppy tackling, lack of discipline in gaps and assignments, lack of gang swarm, and it's wearing and showing more and more with each passing game.

quickccc

Reaction score
I think Jaylon is going to be a guy that will have to be well schemed and surrounding by a very strong cast with that combined to best hide his biggest flaws and minuses, while also
maximizing what he could do best.

In a forward moving role and task, simply his keys and responsibilities and allow him to flow down the line in pursuit and into the line head up and as a blitzer - both inside and outside,
not just up the middle, (and i'm not liking the way Richard is designing his blitzes,BTW) I;m looking for him to get him a more free run at the QB, taking on a RB rather than vs an interior OG,

If he gets the right DC, and we " finally " get the right scheme, and the right, ideal, interior guys upfront that can disrupt and best allow these LBs to flow without so much
interfere from the OL, then that will be monster help to all of these LBs. - rather continuing fooling with these Antwuan Woods, Maleik Collins, Covington, Crawford, Ashford, Haydens, etc, etc,
that we have to continuously endure under Rod Marinelli

Dunno if Jaylon will ever improve enough to where he is a true difference maker. He's not a Derrick Brooks, Luke Kuehley, or even a Jordan Hicks, imo.
Not a natural turnover creator, not natural in coverage, just not naturally instinctive to me- another reason why we can be fooled so often on misdirections and screen passes.
i'm not even sure he's really going to be a true leader, but he's here and we've committed to him long term and we have to maximize how we can best use him.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Jaylon hasn't looked right all season. It's gone from a physical issue to a mental issue. He's just not showing the same aggressiveness he did last year. I wonder if he's just getting worn down. 100% of defensive snaps last 5 or 6 games.

It's funny about the coverage issue. What really set him apart as a prospect was his man coverage ability. Fluid, agile, fast, but good size.

Walker has been saying he think Jaylon looks heavier, and that has affected his agility.

I'd agree with this. Early in the season, I think it was something physical. He'd be back in deep zone, teams would throw a hitch or crosser underneath him, and he just, could, not, drive forward and tackle the receiver. He'd stumble towards them and try to grab them but just whiff.

I haven't seen the stumbling thing the last couple weeks, but he seems really hesitant to engage, In 2018, that man headed downhill on a mission. Now it always feels like he's a step behind the offense.

quickccc

Reaction score
Look guys, the problem with Jaylon is he has limited lateral flexibility in his knee. He either cant or he is scared to let his knee experience any significant lateral torque, which mainly happens when you change direction sideways very quickly. He is scared the knee will not hold up and something will tear, most likely another ligament, or he knows his knee will not hold up and will get injured. Either way is not good.

That is why you see him mostly running straight ahead or if he is running sideways, he continues in the same direction. He cannot stop, plant, change direction, accelerate, stope, change direction again, ect.....As a result, teams are going after him and will continue to go after him in coverage because they know he cant stay with receiver.

He really needs to come off the field on 3rd downs if nothing else.

which that would really immediately present and becomes a very big problem, seeing that you just paid a huge, long term contract to a player that you're either not wanting or cannot trust him being an every 3 down LB.

Maybe the Cowboys could have waited until after his restricted season which I think was year 2020 to see what he would further become, but they obviously were convinced enough
from off his 2018 pro bowl season that they believe they saw all they needed to see to be convinced he is a cornerstone LB for the franchise for years to come and he will get even better than what he was in his first full year as a full time starter.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Could be about the weight.

Zeke has similar issue.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's interesting that all of our once promising Linebackers are looking so horrible. Maybe they should have hired a LB coach instead of moving bloom over to coach these guys.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'd agree with this. Early in the season, I think it was something physical. He'd be back in deep zone, teams would throw a hitch or crosser underneath him, and he just, could, not, drive forward and tackle the receiver. He'd stumble towards them and try to grab them but just whiff.

I haven't seen the stumbling thing the last couple weeks, but he seems really hesitant to engage, In 2018, that man headed downhill on a mission. Now it always feels like he's a step behind the offense.

Jaylon used to run to the sidelines like he was shot out of a cannon. Like a RB. Downhill.

On coming forward in zone, I saw his left foot clearly catch as he was coming forward and had to break right. Looked exactly like "drop foot" sounds like. As his knee bent his ankle didn't flex upward to keep his toes from contacting the field first.

I wonder if he's still wearing the orthotic. If he's not, he should be. He's not right.

Much like Collins' footware problem, we'll find out in year or two that Jaylon wasn't wearing the orthotic though he was still having dropfoot issues.

It's only lately that I've seen a lack of drive to the ball, which I've taken as either just loafing or a lack of trust that he could break down properly. I don't know that he can't, only that he doesn't. If he simply can't drive, that would be a new physical problem. What I did see early on was a hitch in his running gait when he did try to drive earlier in the season.