Video: Jaylon Smith Injury Guarantee clause?

John813

Reaction score
Cowboys are stuck with Jaylon for another year. Like it or not, that's just the way it is. His guaranteed money makes it no sense to cut him. Unless the Cowboys could trade him.

A year from now, completely different story.

Even a year from now his base salary will guarantee on the 5th day of the new season so any cut will have to be asap and take a dead cap hit of 6.8mil

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Cowboys are stuck with Jaylon for another year. Like it or not, that's just the way it is. His guaranteed money makes it no sense to cut him. Unless the Cowboys could trade him.

That's not true. Look at the cap savings if you designate Jaylon Smith as a post June 1st cut. We can definitely dump him this offseason, just not until June or later.

blueblood70

Reaction score

exactly and with new DC and defensive staff all believe like i do that with a much improved DL and a healthy LVE and a scheme that will not have the likes of all our LBs looking lost because the center of our Dl was so bad they simply go stood up and left holes all over for a back or running qb to decide last second to choose whatever hole he wanted..no push no movement , allowing 2nd level Ol blocking LBs ..no one can truly judge the play of LBs until we see them with better talent scheme to fit their skillset..at one point all 3 of our LBs looked great this year they looked lost..im sure the truth lies somewhere ion between and we cant eat 7mil to appease fans. They will get shot at rebound year as will the entire team, there weren't many bright spots in 2020 , so fans need to chill the freak out. on all the cut posts.

John813

Reaction score
That's not true. Look at the cap savings if you designate Jaylon Smith as a post June 1st cut. We can definitely dump him this offseason, just not until June or later.

Some times the calculators don't take into account guaranteed salary that will trigger in the future, until they actually trigger. So in Jaylons case in 21 and 22 his base salary fully guarantees this and next year on the 5th day of new season.

Edit:

So therefore, if he's a post June 1st cut, you're eating his 21 salary + the prorated Signing bonus for 2021 this year. Then in 2022 you're eating the remaining accelerated prorated bonus money.

9.8mil dead in 2021 and then 6.8mil dead in 2022 if post June 1st cut.

Edit #2. Now, if the Cowboys designate him as a June 1st cut on the 4th day of the season(and he can clear a physical), that may be the loophole to cut him, save on the accelerated prorated bonuses for this year and avoid paying him the guaranteed salary. He technically is off the roster when he is cut even though we won't get any cap savings till June 1st

Last edited:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

You save like $5m by designating him a June 1 cut. Dead money is only 2.6m.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
In the video it’s stating we won’t save anything even if post June 1 cut because of his injury guarantee. So we cut him we save nothing and bite the bullet on his cap hit.

now Idk what to believe since we don’t know about the contract fully

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
not happening..book it

I am curious to see what the new DC and scheme will do, not just for Jaylon, but for LVE, DLaw, Gregory as well.
Get Diggs some help, especially at S. And see how ell it improves. Yes need a DT, but I think Gallimore, and the way Hill was starting to play will be better also.

Sorry haters, I do not mean to, well, actually I mean to rain on your negativity forum.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Some times the calculators don't take into account guaranteed salary that will trigger in the future, until they actually trigger. So in Jaylons case in 21 and 22 his base salary fully guarantees this and next year on the 5th day of new season.

Edit:

So therefore, if he's a post June 1st cut, you're eating his 21 salary + the prorated Signing bonus for 2021 this year. Then in 2022 you're eating the remaining accelerated prorated bonus money.

Edit #2. Now, if the Cowboys designate him as a June 1st cut on the 4th day of the season(and he can clear a physical), that may be the loophole to cut him, save on the accelerated prorated bonuses for this year and avoid paying him the guaranteed salary. He technically is off the roster when he is cut even though we won't get any cap savings till June 1st

Well. Damn it. Lol

blueblood70

Reaction score
I am curious to see what the new DC and scheme will do, not just for Jaylon, but for LVE, DLaw, Gregory as well.
Get Diggs some help, especially at S. And see how ell it improves. Yes need a DT, but I think Gallimore, and the way Hill was starting to play will be better also.

Sorry haters, I do not mean to, well, actually I mean to rain on your negativity forum.
like i said many players on this team had their worst seasons and it was obvious between massive amounts of injuries and poor play around them , it apparent to hold back judgment until next season..yes hill and gallmore payed better but we need a blue-chip guy up there as well, hopefully the draft and FA will be good for the defense this year..

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

Edit:

Glad I read Edit #2 before I had to type all that out lol. Those guarantees won't trigger, which is the exact purpose of the "designation" rather than actually waiting until June 1, from a cap perspective.

It doesn't mean you can go ham in March, but it gives you a lot more flexibility in the second wave of FA or if you have Dak tagged, you get a little bit of room in June.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Glad I read Edit #2 before I had to type all that out lol. Those guarantees won't trigger, which is the exact purpose of the "designation" rather than actually waiting until June 1, from a cap perspective.

It doesn't mean you can go ham in March, but it gives you a lot more flexibility in the second wave of FA or if you have Dak tagged, you get a little bit of room in June.

Ok, so then we're all back to agreeing that we can cut him this year and save the money as I mentioned?

Someone just tell me how to get Swiper off my 53, that's all I want to know.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Ok, so then we're all back to agreeing that we can cut him this year and save the money as I mentioned?

Someone just tell me how to get Swiper off my 53, that's all I want to know.
Designate him as a June 1 cut before the 5th day of the league year.