Video: Jaylon Smith Injury Guarantee clause?

cern

Reaction score
i know squat about his deal, but given how bad our lb's are, no way we're going to cut him. not a snowball's chance in hell. even if he's just used on passing downs and as a blitzer, he serves some usefulness.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
If you could either pay someone 7 million to take a giant dump on your living room floor or pay them 7 million dollars to disappear forever which would you choose?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Ok, so then we're all back to agreeing that we can cut him this year and save the money as I mentioned?

Someone just tell me how to get Swiper off my 53, that's all I want to know.
"yours" lmao.. right let me know when you got 10 billion to buy the DC and make the decsions..

you are asking the wrong people, the people that can answer this with 100% certainty will not take your call, thats for sure..:facepalm::muttley:

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Cowboys are stuck with Jaylon for another year. Like it or not, that's just the way it is. His guaranteed money makes it no sense to cut him. Unless the Cowboys could trade him.

A year from now, completely different story.
Stuck? Jaylon was our most productive defensive player for the 2nd season in a row....with terrible coaching both seasons.

Sorry I have been holding back on defending Jaylon because I hated everyone on defense during the season. But Nolan was straight garbage and stupid for trying to completely change a defense entirety with basically no off-season.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
It’s gonna be awesome when he swipes his way out the tunnel and into his starting spot.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
If you could either pay someone 7 million to take a giant dump on your living room floor or pay them 7 million dollars to disappear forever which would you choose?
If you cut him, then LVE will have to be in on 150+ tackles and no way his body holds up. Either that or our DBs will be hitting 100 tackles because our current DT's do absolutely nothing to keep OL from reaching the 2nd level.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
"yours" lmao.. right let me know when you got 10 billion to buy the DC and make the decsions..

you are asking the wrong people, the people that can answer this with 100% certainty will not take your call, thats for sure..:facepalm::muttley:

I come here to roleplay being a GM of the Dallas Cowboys or to be an amateur sportswriter about the Dallas Cowboys

So yes. It's my roster. Lol

817Gill

Reaction score
KJ Wright played well this year and is a FA. Would love to drop Smith and pick up Wright. Has experience in this defense and is still a high performing vet. Draft a LB in the first 3 rounds to groom and we are rolling.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If you cut him, then LVE will have to be in on 150+ tackles and no way his body holds up. Either that or our DBs will be hitting 100 tackles because our current DT's do absolutely nothing to keep OL from reaching the 2nd level.
Good linebackers take on and defeat second-level blocks. I don't understand this board's obsession with this. Gap assignment football means the LB plays half of the blocker. It is fundamental stuff, and any professional LBer should be able to do it. Sean Lee is an HoF talent because of it. Here's what good LBers do against untouched OL on the second level

Williamson running right past it and shooting the gap:

Harrison in the gap-side shoulder and blowing up the play - fundamental:

The problem with the Cowboys' linebackers is that they have absolutely 0 eyes and no ability to shed (though LVE has done it at times). This is why they constantly get killed on misdirection. But the idea that NFL linebackers just run free is totally false. Teams do not care about run plugging DTs, they care about stopping LBers from running.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Given that Smith is more or less cap neutral as a June one designation it doesn't make sense to cut him right away.

now the moment that somebody steps forward to take a starting spot you cut him in a heartbeat.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Good linebackers take on and defeat second-level blocks. I don't understand this board's obsession with this. Gap assignment football means the LB plays half of the blocker. It is fundamental stuff, and any professional LBer should be able to do it. Sean Lee is an HoF talent because of it. Here's what good LBers do against untouched OL on the second level

Williamson running right past it and shooting the gap:

Harrison in the gap-side shoulder and blowing up the play - fundamental:

The problem with the Cowboys' linebackers is that they have absolutely 0 eyes and no ability to shed (though LVE has done it at times). This is why they constantly get killed on misdirection. But the idea that NFL linebackers just run free is totally false. Teams do not care about run plugging DTs, they care about stopping LBers from running.

Teams want to do no more than combo block on defensive tackles. That last clip showed what a defensive tackle can do if he can survive the combo. In that case he took on the initial punch and then just squeezed the offensive guard into the running Gap.

Had the linebacker not taking on the fullback the guard still would have been in the way from that squeeze.

It's a symbiosis and what I don't understand is why people are all or nothing. defensive tackles help linebacker play because it's easier to make reads when they're holding the point of attack and not getting shoved back into the second level. Then of course if you can force double teams that makes it even easier.

I'm with you 100% on the linebacker's not using one arm technique or double arm extension or trying to juke or pretty much anything other than the run wide technique to take on blockers. I've seen them both do it though is the issue. I cannot explain what's going on with Smith because it's like he just decided he didn't want to take on blocks anymore.

When Bucky Brooks talks about the lack of accountability on the defense under Mike Nolan I think that that needs to be exhibit a for that argument.

Between that and Vander esch's health linebacker is a huge need. Lbe doesn't run that well either which is a concern.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I would not count on LVE either. I would not give up on him yet though as he is still on a rookie deal but he is not reliable. I would keep Thomas on a cheap deal if possible. Bernard and Gifford need to show that they can help out or send them packing. I would draft at least one LB high and grab 2 more late round picks or undrafted guys. I would much rather roll with a bunch of young and hungry unknown guys that continue with the Jaylon Smith insanity.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I use to think Smith's teammates were always telling him before games to " BREAK A LEG " for luck, then I realized they meant Break a Leg because they were hoping he would break his leg because he's so dam lousy and has been the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cowboys are stuck with Jaylon for another year. Like it or not, that's just the way it is. His guaranteed money makes it no sense to cut him. Unless the Cowboys could trade him.

A year from now, completely different story.

And I'm fine with that. We've got too much to do on defense to worry about replacing Jaylon. Fix the clear holes around him, see how he plays and then cut him after next season if it's bad.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

My main worry with Jaylon all season was seeing his remaining years guaranteed for injury, since that was obviously the only way *anyone* would be giving him that much money for the next 2 years.

And now he has hemorrhoid surgery and can't pass the physical so he's automatically guaranteed? Nice.

When is Jerry going to get tired of being punked by players? Ever?

Purple Drank. DLaw. This looks like Punked by Jaylon, The Sequel, after he came to the team with a "team friendly" early deal followed by his leg regressing all year.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Maybe Quinn can make him at least serviceable...but I doubt it. I don't like him. Too many times he seems to be avoiding contact

DCwarrior

Reaction score
He could provide some decent depth if we keep him. Let him rush the passer on passing downs. Need a couple LBs that is not injury prone from draft and FA.

Cmac

Reaction score
....but we have SLee right? He hasn't retired......yet.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope it gets Jaylon a bus ticket. He was gimpy, and increasingly so, all 2019. For Jaylon, it's the leg, not the scheme.

He looked slow, and looked overweight to me. He needs to get in better shape.
I am wiling to see what happens this year, because I know he will be on the team.
So all of these dump Jaylon threads and posts will be repeated. I will try to stay out of them at this point. Just as I try to stay away from most Zeke threads, and many Dak threads.