Video: Jaylon Smith interview get your hate ready

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I think you mean the year before that..... they peaked LVE's rookie year which was 3 seasons ago.
Smith was clearly better last season. But I don't disagree, the year before was better then this past season. The point remains.

What's the common denominator?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I keep saying it but I don’t care about Jaylon’s dumb sound bites, untimely celebrations, or off the field endeavors.

I only care about what he does on the field and he’s horrible.

We don’t necessarily need Micah Parsons to replace him; any 3rd/4th round linebacker that plays with the required physicality, understands his assignments, and has a modicum of instincts would do.

Last edited:

Redline360

Reaction score
He reminds me of that coworker everyone has that is completely useless and shouldn't have a job but is buddy buddy with supervison / management.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I like Jaylon, he seems a very decent dude... but man he needs to avoid interviews and any undue attention.

Otherwise just stick to " we weren't good enough last year and we will be better in 2021" next question.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Because Garrett was al talk and no action.

I don't think Quinn would text Jaylon, he'd say it to his face, and if Jaylon was as disrespectful with his response, Quinn would try to choke him out Homer Simpson style.

Quinn is not the greatest in-game technician, but he's much more of hands-on (pun intended) coach.
True, but I wouldn't put it past Jerry to clip his wings as far as benching him.

It makes Jerry look bad and an assistant coach isnt gonna do that.

From Smiths POV, I realize he already thinks he is great because his awful play is met with positive reviews from the walking ego, and also he is set for life financially.....but if he doesn't step up his game this year his life of being a celebrity Dallas Cowboy and making eight figures is over with.

Matter of the combo of him realizing it and Jerry allowing Quinn the authority he needs.

I'm happy you're comfortable with Quinn and like his methods and ability BTW. Gives me a bit more hope. Seriously.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
True, but I wouldn't put it past Jerry to clip his wings as far as benching him.

It makes Jerry look bad and an assistant coach isnt gonna do that.

From Smiths POV, I realize he already thinks he is great because his awful play is met with positive reviews from the walking ego, and also he is set for life financially.....but if he doesn't step up his game this year his life of being a celebrity Dallas Cowboy and making eight figures is over with.

Matter of the combo of him realizing it and Jerry allowing Quinn the authority he needs.

I'm happy you're comfortable with Quinn and like his methods and ability BTW. Gives me a bit more hope. Seriously.

I actually think there was a better chance of Jaylon getting benched under Nolan.

New coaches are like women that think they can fix broken men. I think Quinn will give Jaylon a long leash to the detriment of the defense and team in general.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I actually think there was a better chance of Jaylon getting benched under Nolan.

New coaches are like women that think they can fix broken men. I think Quinn will give Jaylon a long leash to the detriment of the defense and team in general.
Yep....the sales pitch that gets Jerry every time.....I'll fix that stiff you gave all that money to and take the heat off.

Coaches gotta eat too I guess

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He basically said that you can crit his play, but no one knows what the player's assignments were on each play and that they weren't getting the job done collectively.
He said the beginning of the year they were out of sync, which contributed to Dak's record (their question) and they steadily got better as the year went out.
Dak is their QB and that's it, as far as he's concerned.
Then it was silly stuff about swag and whatevers.
And he thinks the Chiefs win although Brady is the GOAT.
Thanks. How much do we owe you for the Cliff note?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Before this year, I thought Jaylon wasn't fully healthy. I thought he still had problems with his leg.
But seeing plays where he takes himself COMPLETELY out of the play, runs AWAY from the hole where the ball carrier is coming and being TOTALLY lost in his responsibility convinced me he's either just not a very instinctive player, he's scared or he simply isn't that smart.
It reminds me when I was coaching community football, and a parent was complaining because we wouldn't start this big kid on our team and asked me why.
And I told him when the hole opens up, he doesn't fill the hole; he runs away from the hole. You're just looking at his size and speed. He has no heart. We can't play him if he's not going to step into the hole and make the tackle. And we witnessed this over and over in practice. The kid was scared.
I really was pulling for Jaylon and want him to succeed. But watching him play is excruciatingly painful.

ondaedg

Reaction score
First thing they bring up is his tackle numbers and there are several NFL experts who have been on record as saying no one in the league makes more tackles 8 yards downfield than Jaylon. Credit to Jaylon for the hustle to get in the play but he is one of the worst linebackers we have had at mlb. I like his attitude and his hustle but he has some glaring weaknesses.

1. He bites harder on ball fakes than any Cowboy I’ve ever seen.
  2. Randomly chases the wrong ball carrier.
  3. Takes on blockers standing straight up and back pedaling.
  4. Takes way too long to identify the ball carrier and he sits 6yds off the LOS which equals a tackle 8yds past the LOS.
  5. CANNOT stack and shed. Period.

I have no agenda here just call it like I see it. We need a mlb who makes tackles at the LOS not in post route territory.

Last edited:

ondaedg

Reaction score
Before this year, I thought Jaylon wasn't fully healthy. I thought he still had problems with his leg.
But seeing plays where he takes himself COMPLETELY out of the play, runs AWAY from the hole where the ball carrier is coming and being TOTALLY lost in his responsibility convinced me he's either just not a very instinctive player, he's scared or he simply isn't that smart.
It reminds me when I was coaching community football, and a parent was complaining because we wouldn't start this big kid on our team and asked me why.
And I told him when the hole opens up, he doesn't fill the hole; he runs away from the hole. You're just looking at his size and speed. He has no heart. We can't play him if he's not going to step into the hole and make the tackle. And we witnessed this over and over in practice. The kid was scared.
I really was pulling for Jaylon and want him to succeed. But watching him play is excruciatingly painful.

Good fair criticism here. I’m not sure if Jaylon is unwilling to fill the hole or he just guesses which hole to fill and picks the wrong ones.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
He is the worst to wear 54. Howley and white are probably steaming mad this guy shares the same number.

This dude has regressed as a player. Out of position. No instincts for where the play is developing. Sure he has a ton of tackles but how many are at or within +/- 2 yards of the line of scrimmage? Can't wait for the day he improves, is cut or no longer dons the number 54 for dallas.

But then again he surely is in the pocket of the Jones company regardless of outcome.
I doubt they care. It's just a number.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
So he says the defense had "elite" and "dominant" players that simply didn't gel together early in the season......most of the guys played together previously so basically he is saying there were a bunch of "me first" players......which is funny coming from the biggest "me first" player on defense with all his BS drama he brought to the field.
It was obvious that none of them knew/understood the scheme at the beginning of the year. Doesn't necessarily mean they are me first guys.

What is all this BS drama he brings to the field?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
First thing they bring up is his tackle numbers and there are several NFL experts who have been on record as saying no one in the league makes more tackles 8 yards downfield than Jaylon. Credit to Jaylon for the hustle to get in the play but he is one of the worst linebackers we have had at mlb. I like his attitude and his hustle but he has some glaring weaknesses.

1. He bites harder on ball fakes than any Cowboy I’ve ever seen.
  2. Randomly chases the wrong ball carrier.
  3. Takes on blockers standing straight up and back pedaling.
  4. Takes way too long to identify the ball carrier and he sits 6yds off the LOS which equals a tackle 8yds past the LOS.
  5. CANNOT stack and shed. Period.

I have no agenda here just call it like I see it. We need a mlb who makes tackles at the LOS not in post route territory.

Good job! You said it better than I did. :)