Twitter: Jaylon Smith looked exactly like a difference making LB on Sunday

Plankton

Reaction score
They had Smith doing what he is best at doing - playing downhill, and not dropping as much into coverage. When he has the opportunity to press the LOS, and just see it and attack, he's at his best. When they have him dropping into zones, and having to plant and redirect, this is where he struggles. The hope is that Nolan can put him in those positions consistently.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sometimes a defense needs to beat up against a low quality opponent to get their confidence back. Lets hope this win spurs some good things going forward.

True but he looked less confused, he read the plays and attacked it. To me it seems to be a big case of players looking unsure out there and just not being where they need to be. That reverse to the TE the giants ran, Griffen sniffed it out and got the TE to run it deeper yet no one else was there in support, there is no excuse for that. Guys need to do a better job of understanding and knowing their assignments.

Sydla

Reaction score
True but he looked less confused, he read the plays and attacked it. To me is seems to be a big case of players looking unsure out there and just not being where they need to be. That reverse to the TE the giants ran, Griffen sniffed it out and got the TE to run it deeper yet no one else was there is support, there is no excuse for that. Guys need to do a better job of understanding and knowing their assignments.

There is still confusion on what they are supposed to do. Another play was the screen in the red zone where Thomas looked like he thought they were in zone and passed the TE off to Smith, who then had to choose between covering the TE or the RB. Everyone else was playing man. Smith chose to cover the deep TE to prevent a TD and Jones quickly dumped it off for a big gain to the RB.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There is still confusion on what they are supposed to do. Another play was the screen in the red zone where Thomas looked like he thought they were in zone and passed the TE off to Smith, who then had to choose between covering the TE or the RB. Everyone else was playing man. Smith chose to cover the deep TE to prevent a TD and Jones quickly dumped it off for a big gain to the RB.

I agree, it has not been a case of opponents making some outstanding block to free a guy up often times there is not a Cowboy player in sight to stop the play, to me that is confusion not lack of ability or being overwhelmed by your opponent. Guys need to take on themselves to put the time at practice and on their own time to know their assignments and what to look for on any given play. Defense is about reading and reacting, now overthinking it. I would also add seeing guys standing around as another is trying to make a tackle, defensive players need to swarm to that ball, I want to see 2 and 3 guys finishing ball carriers off.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree, it has not been a case of opponents making some outstanding block to free a guy up often times there is not a Cowboy player in sight to stop the play, to me that is confusion not lack of ability or being overwhelmed by your opponent. Guys need to take on themselves to put the time at practice and on their own time to know their assignments and what to look for on any given play. Defense is about reading and reacting, now overthinking it. I would also add seeing guys standing around as another is trying to make a tackle, defensive players need to swarm to that ball, I want to see 2 and 3 guys finishing ball carriers off.

Unfortunately, confusion is a criticism that came up during Nolan's time in Atlanta.

Rayman70

Reaction score
it was against the Giants. Tho he did show improvement, lets not crown him just yet. Lets see what he does against a top tier Offense this week. THEN, we can judge.

Majic

Reaction score
Interesting that Mike Nolan has always sung Jaylons praises. Maybe a case of good coaching to get him back on track

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Unfortunately, confusion is a criticism that came up during Nolan's time in Atlanta.

I will put some on the coach, no doubt about it but I put it on the players as well. I was listening to a former teammate of Deion Sanders and how he said while the media portrayed him as hitting the night life he said Deion spent more time in his room going over tape and looking for any edge he could find. To be great means putting in the time and players have access to film and if I was in their shoes and struggling believe me I would be spending as much time as possible to get a better grasp. So again put blame on Nolan but players have a responsibility as paid professionals

Aftershock

Reaction score
When our backs are against the wall after a loss
The media criticizes us harshly like a cranky boss

Let's rally and actually start trying this week!
Hoo-rah, we won! And we looked very sleek

Everything is back to normal
Time to take the foot off the pedal

Next week let's take it easy
Rinse and repeat, very cheesy

Go Cowboys!

aikemirv

Reaction score
Smith and Lawrence both were different players.

Someone challenged their manhood - maybe it was the fans and media - I don't know!

The effort level by Demarcus was remarkably different which makes me like him even less than I already did - he is a piece of trash!