Twitter: Jaylon Smith looked exactly like a difference making LB on Sunday

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
Smith looked great against the giants......

Lawerence looked great too

But the defense as a whole still looked below average which is a major step up from being non existent

I was thinking the same thing. Those two both played well, but one of the worst offenses in the league was still marching up and down the field. They converted a bunch of 3rd & longs with ease.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Good stuff.......

Sidenote: Jayson Smith had his best game since last year.......

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!!!
giphy.gif

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Jaylon you mean? He has no feel for reading an offense, regardless of what the DL is doing in front of him. There are just so many examples of him being in the wrong gap, being late, or overrunning his angle.

Against the Giants, he's helped because they're so bad he can read it late and then go make a play anyways. I also think that they basically had him playing man-to-man on the RB, without having to worry about the QB running. On all those plays, he pretty much just follows the back, doesn't look like he's really keying the OL.

Sounds like you're saying they may have dumb things down for him. Either way, it worked and if that what it takes, keep doing it.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!!!
giphy.gif

Thought I was the only one to notice his swipe was back for the Giants game. Was it a coincidence it was his best game in a while? I'm not sure, maybe he needs it to fire him up. Hell, I say if that helps him make plays.......swipe on lol

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Good stuff.......

Sidenote: Jayson Smith had his best game since last year.......

Still looked like a chicken with his head cut off on too many plays. Just because it was his best game since last year doesn't mean it's great, just means he's inconsistent which he is far too often. Here one play gone the next 4.

bewp7

Reaction score
get healty soon lve so maybe we can see more good jaylon.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Sounds like you're saying they may have dumb things down for him. Either way, it worked and if that what it takes, keep doing it.
In some ways yea, but using him as a traditionalal sort of read-and-react LBer is always a waste of his skillset.

He's great at playing downhill and in straight lines, so you can call it dumbing down, but I think it's more about putting him in a position to do the things he's good at.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Still looked like a chicken with his head cut off on too many plays. Just because it was his best game since last year doesn't mean it's great, just means he's inconsistent which he is far too often. Here one play gone the next 4.

Doubt any fan is ready to vote him into the Pro Bowl off the Giants game but give him his due for this game. He played well, certainly better than anything we've seen in a while. But I'm sure I speak for all fans in saying ..........do it again and again lol

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
In some ways yea, but using him as a traditionalal sort of read-and-react LBer is always a waste of his skillset.

He's great at playing downhill and in straight lines, so you can call it dumbing down, but I think it's more about putting him in a position to do the things he's good at.

Sounds great in theory but that limits the defense. It makes him an easy target for play-action (which he is) because he’s reading his man not the developing play.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I said it during the game, looked like his best effort in 2 years. He was actually driving thru blocks and tackles, rather than just be a cape on those offensive players.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Same offense he practiced against for the last few years, so yes he should have improved.....now back to reality on Sunday.

OldCoach

Reaction score
Gotta do it consistently. He’d seen that screen BS in practice for years. Do it against someone who is scheming against you. I hope he does keep it up

bigE79

Reaction score
Sometimes a defense needs to beat up against a low quality opponent to get their confidence back. Lets hope this win spurs some good things going forward.
They didn't exactly beat them up but I'm very happy for the win..the big test is if they can carry it over and beat zona..it's been a long time since we have won 2 straight.