Video: Jaylon Smith Marcus Wiley Nails it Acho is far off

Proof

Reaction score
There’s obviously a ton of opinions ab Jaylon, so I’ll try to keep mine short an sweet..

1st: I loved his determination to battle back from his injury and faith in himself to prove most wrong when he returned to not only play football again, but at a Probowl level. I supported him 100% and was a fan

2nd: Yet, when he obviously was regressing and still pranced around swiping negative plays.. I found it odd and annoying. At that point, he made me pay more attention..and I did. I realized game after game that he was part of the problem on defense than the solution. Honestly it hurt my spirit that I started pointing out more negative plays than I personally wanted to.

3rd: For awhile there, I gave him the benefit of the doubt bc I didn’t want to relinquish the “feel good comeback story” of Jaylon. I suppose I prefer to root for the “underdog”.. maybe that’s my vise. The problem is.. Jaylon physical deficiencies wasn’t the only concern, his pre snap (and post snap for that matter) progressively seemed to get worse, which is exactly the opposite of what you’d expect from a veteran, much less a “leader” of defense. Then throw in the obtuse (possibly arrogant) attitude that rubbed many the wrong way, including myself. Hence the delusional personality comments, which I don’t buy one bit. Jaylon is completely aware of his flaws, unfortunately for him.. there’s not much he can do about at this point of his life, other than ride it out as long as he can. Good for him, but bad for the Cowboys(and now the Packers).

I’m sure personally l, he’s a great guy as many seem to still gravitate to him regardless of his performance on the field. I’m not sad he’s gone. It was the best decision for the Cowboys. I’m more impressed (or surprised) that the FO actually made the move, that speaks volumes to me.

great post

glimmerman

Reaction score
I didnt mean u. I was venting about the TV pundits and other players on social media. Me and u are good.I meant what I said in a general sense.
Lol. Sorry I read it wrong. So many people here jumping on people it makes you gun shy.

J-man

Reaction score
Jaylon's story was an inspiring one. That bowl game injury was gruesome and IMO, had he not been able to still make it to the NFL and have some success, it would have had a major impact on other star college players decisions about whether or not they should play in their final bowl games, due to the risk of losing out on a NFL payday. As it is we're seeing more and more "opt outs" (on different levels) from a lot of big name players who do not want to miss out on getting NFL $.

The man himself was inspirational. His positivity about all things, all the time was infectious. Even though the timing of it was sometimes misplaced, which made it down right nauseating to some fans.

I do not believe they wanted to cut him as they did. Reports are out there that they were trying to trade him on and before draft day and that no one would bite. I assume, post draft they didn't stop trying to trade him for something/anything, and no one would bite. The FO was trying to get him to restructure his contract because of his diminished ability to play well enough to justify his salary. But also so that they could try get a some kind of deal done in a trade. We all knew, including Jaylon, that he would either have to restructure his deal or be released after the season.
When he had the off season wrist surgery that guaranteed himself $7mil this year no matter what they did, the writing was on the wall. They were doing all they could to get him to at least waive that clause from the remainder of his deal so they could continue to try and trade him, and so that he couldn't just go get a minor "clean up" surgery in the off season, guaranteeing another $9mil next year. Jaylon and his agent refused to work with them. The FO finally said enough is enough and give him his walking papers.

Make no mistake about it, Jerry Jones loves this kid and his never say die, happy, always upbeat and encouraging personality. That's a big reason why he was paid in the first place. And because of that, all of this, is on Jerry. He made this situation and now will have to deal with the lost $ and mid-season distraction (and disruption) it has caused.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
If you and I were friends and people talk crap about you then I will say something. Maybe that’s just me. He is playing average. If he sucked that bad he wouldn’t have been picked up the same day. He just isn’t playing up to his contract and would not drop the injury clause.
He was NOT playing average. He is most definitely below average. An average NFL LB will take on and shed a block along with filling the correct gap to take on RBs. Jaylon sucks at those things. He looks like he's on rollerskates when trying to take on a block or he trys to go around blocks. That is not average.

Last edited:

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I have seen every snap Jaylon has ever played for the Cowboys. Many of them I rewatched because I could not believe my own eyes. Any one else who has done the same would be appalled that he played here as long as he did.

Something happened after 2018. There's not a chance he makes the play now he made in Houston vs Deshaun Watson at the goal line. He's probably 3-4 steps away from that today. Maybe he'll write a book one day. But I agree with you. I even mentioned on here several times how I cant fathom how he is able to watch game film with teammates and not be embarrassed.

I also will say that I think he's a good dude, from what I've read/seen from teammates and media. Has done a lot of productive work in the community. SO glad to see him land on his feet quickly in GB.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I have seen every snap Jaylon has ever played for the Cowboys. Many of them I rewatched because I could not believe my own eyes. Any one else who has done the same would be appalled that he played here as long as he did.
Anyone that defends him has ZERO idea what they are talking about. I can accept that from fans. I watched him closely. And the REAL truth is that what JS puts on tape...the coaches/players in Dallas see it...and the coaches/players on the opposing sidelines sees it. And it was/is EMBRASSING.

I have LONG said that an undrafted rookie could do the EXACT same thing JS does.

We played him because we paid him. But the fact that we diminished his role...and eventually cut him...is PROOF that we are serious about winning.

It had to be embarrassing/infuriating to coaches to play him KNOWING that the opposition was going to target him and take advantage of him...and there was NOTHING as coaches....that they could do...because they HAD to play him!

Rayman70

Reaction score
Anyone that defends him has ZERO idea what they are talking about. I can accept that from fans. I watched him closely. And the REAL truth is that what JS puts on tape...the coaches/players in Dallas see it...and the coaches/players on the opposing sidelines sees it. And it was/is EMBRASSING.

I have LONG said that an undrafted rookie could do the EXACT same thing JS does.

We played him because we paid him. But the fact that we diminished his role...and eventually cut him...is PROOF that we are serious about winning.

It had to be embarrassing/infuriating to coaches to play him KNOWING that the opposition was going to target him and take advantage of him...and there was NOTHING as coaches....that they could do...because they HAD to play him!
he lasted as long as he did because THIS was Stephens/Jerry's baby.They have finally eaten crow and swallowed it.Its a great sign actually.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I didnt mean u. I was venting about the TV pundits and other players on social media. Me and u are good.I meant what I said in a general sense.

Come on man.. you know all of these talking head shows seize upon any opportunity to spend half their show talking about the Cowboys.. It's the Cowboys.. ratings.. ratings... ratings...

stiletto

Reaction score
You should watch it. Wiley is pretty spot on and in agreement with you.

I watch it, the other guy is always there just to play devil's advocate. All the shows are in that format to compete with each other. It's just tiring.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
I watch it, the other guy is always there just to play devil's advocate. All the shows are in that format to compete with each other. It's just tiring.
I don't like ole Acho but Wiley is usually good

X550i

Reaction score
How do they allow the moronic motor mouth Acho to go on air with this nonsense?? Really Acho?? Parsons is only playing over Jaylon because he's a first round pick???? Is this dude really trying to say that Parsons isn't ALREADY, at this early *** point in his career, 10 times the linebacker and overall player than Jaylon ever was???

I cannot STAND Emmanuel Acho anymore, and it truly is NOT due to his absolutely moronic takes about the Cowboys. You see, I can handle the moronic takes, because countless other talking heads also have absolutely biased and moronic takes on the Cowboys.

No, the reason why I cannot stand that wannabe intellectual putz Acho is because he consistently backs up his asinine, idiotic hot takes with INCORRECT and FALSE evidence/facts/information yet continually parades around with this embarrassing, cringeworthy braggadocio, all the while being incorrect.

Please, FS1, I understand that Acho is the new "hot" personality on sports tv and his little youtube interviews generated a lot of buzz, but for God's sakes, take the guy off the air. He is terrible and is turning into another Skip Bayless. Thank you. Goodnight and Good riddance.

Rant over <end.>
Acho is an Aho.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Nope. You're wrong.

If Jaylon had been kept BUT GOT INJURED ALL OF A SUDDEN, next year's salary of $9+ million would end up guaranteed and force the Cowboys to pay him whether Jaylon remained on the team or not.

This is why the Cowboys cut him now while he's healthy and before he suffers an injury...aside from his diminishing performance on the field.
yeah could be. Jerry and that big hat texas dr (cannot think of his name britt or something) are buddies so he could said his ankle is getting worse cut him now

Cmac

Reaction score
Marcellus is one of the smartest people on television. He’s a thousand times more insightful on everything than Michael Strayhan is on anything.
.....until he says something this Board disagrees with.