Video: Jaylon Smith - Not Guilty

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
That was an issue with our interior DL being banged up. We were playing Caraun Reid and Daniel Ross. Two guys soon out of football.
They ran for 11 first downs and 178 yards total.
Kept the ball 3 minutes more than us.

Versus the Rams it wasn't about exposing us as much as it was they knew the DL stunts that were coming and ate it up to rush for 200 yards.

Dallas was the 8th best run stop team in 2018 and 9th best in 2019.
Those 2 games were largely aberrations.
They were also pretty bad with AWoods out last year.

You can see why they brought in 2 veteran DTs.

The Rams attacked the LBs the same way the Colts did. They had their OL quickly get to the 2nd level to take the LBs out of the play.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Colts scored 23 points.
Now if we couldn't score 24 points (We got shut out) with all that firepower we have on offense from offline to the best HB in the NFL well no defense can save you.
In other words, 23 points are NOT insurmountable when your offense can fire back in there face kinda thing!! o_O

So you have trouble staying on topic? If you want to discuss how bad the offense was against the Colts then start a thread.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
That's not objective but clownery.
Plenty of LB are taught to avoid blockers and get to the ball unless the play is in the hole.
At the hole you stand up a blocker but only a truly stupid person would take on a blocker 5 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Fans being stupid is truly painful to watch.

Jimmy Johnson never once taught a LB to take on blocks. Simply wasn't their jobs.

Well I believe I disagree with nearly everything you write here. LBs not taking on blockers? That might be the dumbest thing I ever heard. Good luck to you.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Somehow you managed to make a Jaylon Smith thread about Dak. Apparently, your obsession knows no bounds. :muttley:

LOL...ok, both are intertwined, and both need to perform in order for victory to occur.
Allowing 23 points is not a loss in the NFL when you can score and aren't shut out!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Rams attacked the LBs the same way the Colts did. They had their OL quickly get to the 2nd level to take the LBs out of the play.
That only works if the DTs don't touch them and they know exactly where to run to cut those LBs off.
Versus the Colts they just had bad DTs playing. Guys who have not been NFL regulars again.
I mean I think nay NFL team having Daniel Ross and Caraun Reid playing DT would be "exposed".
Keep in mind that game had little playoff impact for Dallas and we were just flat as well.

Against the Rams they knew the way the DTs were slanting so could simply attack the empty holes.

When you have this happen if the DT is elite he can just make plays in the backfield.
See Jay Ratliff. --or the NFLs best Aaron Donald.
When you don't the RB is going to feast, running downhill at full steam while LBs play frogger.

I played LB in high school. Our DTs jobs were to hold up OL. LBs set the edge and went and got the ball.

To anyone harping on that Rams game I always remind them the week before in a playoff game we dominated Seattle's rush attack.
The Seahawks leading rusher had 29 yards. Russ had 14.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Well I believe I disagree with nearly everything you write here. LBs not taking on blockers? That might be the dumbest thing I ever heard. Good luck to you.
LBs are meant to take on blocks at the hole/LOS in most schemes.
You do not stack and shed 5 yards off the line of scrimmage.
That's idiotic.
The entire point of stacking them is to block the hole allowing others to make the play.

Whether they use the flipper technique or meet them head up with both hands on their pads this is meant for LB who GO FORWARD.

They don't drop then take on blocks unless they are terrible players who want to be released in short order.

The video is well done by Darius. He is demonstrating the asks not jiving with reality.
Largely because the guy calling coverage weren't in sync with the guy calling line calls.

And this is why Richard is out of work still. And why the LB coach wanted to actually fight him.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
That's idiotic.
The entire point of stacking them is to block the hole allowing others to make the play.

Whether they use the flipper technique or meet them head up with both hands on their pads this is meant for LB who GO FORWARD.

They don't drop then take on blocks unless they are terrible players who want to be released in short order.

The video is well done by Darius. He is demonstrating the asks not jiving with reality.
Largely because the guy calling coverage weren't in sync with the guy calling line calls.

And this is why Richard is out of work still. And why the LB coach wanted to actually fight him.

Which is it? You said Jimmy never wanted them taking on blocks and I was stupid because I disagreed. Then you said they do take on blocks. Which I originally said was very important to play the position but you said I was stupid to suggest that. In fact I specifically mention filling gaps. So am I stupid or did I just save you?

Either way 54 tries real hard to avoid engaging and shredding blocks. He likes to run around and prance.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
That only works if the DTs don't touch them and they know exactly where to run to cut those LBs off.
Versus the Colts they just had bad DTs playing. Guys who have not been NFL regulars again.
I mean I think nay NFL team having Daniel Ross and Caraun Reid playing DT would be "exposed".
Keep in mind that game had little playoff impact for Dallas and we were just flat as well.

Against the Rams they knew the way the DTs were slanting so could simply attack the empty holes.

When you have this happen if the DT is elite he can just make plays in the backfield.
See Jay Ratliff. --or the NFLs best Aaron Donald.
When you don't the RB is going to feast, running downhill at full steam while LBs play frogger.

I played LB in high school. Our DTs jobs were to hold up OL. LBs set the edge and went and got the ball.

To anyone harping on that Rams game I always remind them the week before in a playoff game we dominated Seattle's rush attack.
The Seahawks leading rusher had 29 yards. Russ had 14.

Totally agree. I am just referring to what happened and not due to specific players or the scheme. Hopefully the new coaches adjust better and the newly acquired players perform better.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
That's idiotic.

Hey guys, you heard it here first!

Linebackers are not supposed to stack and shed blockers unless they’re within “5 yards of the line of scrimmage.”

Apparently they’re supposed to let the offensive linemen move them to whatever new location on the field they choose to.

:facepalm:

Big_D

Reaction score
People still brag about the pro bowl? Just a crap game no one cares about voted on by fans. Throw that game out the window already, it's pure garbage.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Fraud personality?

I am not even sure what that means. Fraud like he's nice to babies and dogs on camera but when the camera is off he takes the babies' bottles and kicks the dogs?

Fraud as in, he's this super passionate guy that is a huge team player, but he's all about himself. He's building a brand around "Jaylon Smith" who uses the Cowboys to further his side business.

He even ran to Twitter to try and rally Cowboys fans to try and get himself into the Pro-Bowl. Any player with "clear eyes" would know that Jaylon Smith was not a legitimate pro-bowler in 2019. He knows it's a popularity contest and he knows how to continue furthering his name.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I'm so tired of Cowboys fans acknowledging that Kris & Rob coached scheme over game planning. Cowboys fans KNOW that they would not change the scheme despite the issues we were having after the Rams figured us out in the playoffs and teams using the blue print against us in 2019.

With that said this guy does a pretty good job of pointing out the flaws in our scheme and the impossible expectations of Kris of his LB's specifically Jaylon in these vids. Despite the ridiculous expectations my boy Jaylon still made the probowl. With better coaching he will be a repeat offender of the probowl.

Haters enjoy and comment profusely!

This is so incorrect, it is ridiculous.

First of all, the 4-3 Defense was designed to protect the LB to make plays. 3/4 MLBs must take on OL more often than 4-3. It is simple math of 5-3=2 OL to linebackers or 5-4=1 OL to linebackers.

The 2nd issue is all the stunting/gap shooting that goes on because the Cowboys never had the DL that can make plays to either penetrate to stop the run on the way to the QB (attack 4-3 like Jimmy Johnson Cowboys team) or stop the OL to allow the LBers to make plays (typical 4-3 or Flex defense like Tom Landry Giants and Cowboy teams). Do you remember how long Dat Nguyen and Dexter Coakley lasted in a 3-4 Defense? Well say good bye to Jaylon Smith, Sean Lee, and neck injured Leighton Vander Esch with a conversion to 3-4 without Marcus Spears, Jay Ratliff, Jason Hatcher, Chris Canty, Jason Ferguson, and Keynon Coleman.

If the Cowboys go to a 3/4 or stay in a 4-3 without DL that can make plays in 3-4 or 4-3, you will get the failure you have had when there was not a Head Coach for the Cowboys named Landry, Johnson, and Parcells.