RELEASED Jaylon Smith released

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I can only imagine how awkward the meeting was. I see Jaylon coming in and lighting up to see his old pal Jerry. Then Jerry having to explain what a brutal business football can be, and how he is obligated to make decisions sometimes that he doesn't like, for the betterment of the club going forward.

Publicly Jaylon doesn't have a lot of self awareness. Whether "check the film" is a facade or his legitimate belief is beyond me. If it truly is how he feels, he's shocked that a superstar like himself is being let go. In fairness most of us are pretty damn surprised, even though he was performing better he is being released. Then again we didn't think about the injury clause in his contract either.

One thing I will say is his response from what I have heard has been nothing but positive. So the front office must have handled it somewhat well? Hate him or not Jaylon shows to be an extremely positive person and that mindset goes a long ways for anyone. More power to him, and good luck moving forward.

Yes he made me furious on the field, and social media at times, but I never questioned the character of the man. Annoying as hell at times, but he always seemed to be good people.

Jaylon was devoted to self promotion -- that's for sure. It sometimes amazes me that Jerry and Stephen were receptive to him for so long. The mistake of overpaying him so drastically must have been embarrassing to the FO, though. Jaylon, no doubt, could see that the public's view of him wasn't up to the image that he so wanted to create. I'm sure Dan Quinn finally told the FO how he felt about Jaylon's inabilities to perform, despite the FO's willingness to accommodate him for such a long time.

I agree that he's not a bad guy, though, just far too limited. I'm sure Jerry let him go as gently as humanly possible, although, Jaylon had to be supremely disappointed that he was released, despite being paid so generously. The FO's willingness to release him and take such a large monetary hit to do so must have been hard for Jaylon to handle. Business is business, though -- that much surely became painfully obvious to him. It was necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: CWR

phildadon86

Reaction score
They win and Stephen finds a way to be cheap smh…am
It’s not being cheap. It’s trying to get better. Jaylon being cut is addition by subtraction. I can guarantee he was in the locker room blowing up about play time. You can’t have that on a team like this, with this much new talent.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
True. But if he is performing at top level, do we even try to promote younger guys like Cox?
I don't doubt the injury guarantee likely had a lot to do with it. But if it's Lawrence Taylor who breaks his leg and is coming back from injury with the same situation, I doubt the coaches wouldn't suck it up and take the risk based on who he is. Jaylon Smith never was going to reach LT's level or even in the ball park. So, the injury risk wasn't worth the reward.
But you have a valid point.
Well I think that was the issue. I don’t think he was performing bad but was he worth paying 9 million for next year guaranteed? He wasn’t playing that well lol. And they are certain they can get similar play for the cheaper price. I get why they did it. I wouldn’t have done it now but I get it.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The bottom line right here........they were afraid of a season-ending injury. I'm they were like, restructure to remove the guaranteed injury protection, you can stay, otherwise ........

Well, Jaylon should have removed the guarantee. It is gone now and no team will give him a guarantee. Pride and money were more important to Jaylon. He will now learn his true market value.

Well, Mr Vet Life, say hello to vet min. Should have swallowed your pride and took what the Cowboys were offering. It would have been a lot more than vet min.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Why? Wouldn’t you consider both to be overpaid based on their production? That’s what this is about. It’s not any ‘personal hate’.
Prior to Parsons, everyone claimed that DLaw was the best player on our defense. That was still being said after the TB game. No one was ever saying that about JS. If DLaw is ever released, it will have everything to do with durability and nothing to do with production.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prior to Parsons, everyone claimed that DLaw was the best player on our defense. That was still being said after the TB game. No one was ever saying that about JS. If DLaw is ever released, it will have everything to do with durability and nothing to do with production.

I think it will have everything to do with cost, and return on investment.

I think Lawrence is still a very good player. The problem is that he's being paid to be great. That means big pass rush and corresponding sack production.

And who knows? He may turn it around and explode when he returns? If so, it would be hard to outright release him, but maybe a trade then becomes more attractive or they decide to keep him? But my point is, that unless things turn around, I think the team has to consider moving on and getting out from under a huge cap hit.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I think it will have everything to do with cost, and return on investment.

I think Lawrence is still a very good player. The problem is that he's being paid to be great. That means big pass rush and corresponding sack production.

And who knows? He may turn it around and explode when he returns? If so, it would be hard to outright release him, but maybe a trade then becomes more attractive or they decide to keep him? But my point is, that unless things turn around, I think the team has to consider moving on and getting out from under a huge cap hit.

Eh, I agree with you, but at least Lawrence isn't a liability. Tough to stomach his cap hit, but when healthy he still contributes. Jaylon has the cap hit AND is really a liability at this point, can't play special teams, etc. I just don't see them as comparable.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It’s the roster spot and the salary and the injury clause. If they couldn’t trade him it was time to cut ties. Or possibly be on the hook for 9 million next year.
I can see both sides of this.
Not really a clear cut decision.

RicKospia

Reaction score
Jaylon was devoted to self promotion -- that's for sure. It sometimes amazes me that Jerry and Stephen were receptive to him for so long. The mistake of overpaying him so drastically must have been embarrassing to the FO, though. Jaylon, no doubt, could see that the public's view of him wasn't up to the image that he so wanted to create. I'm sure Dan Quinn finally told the FO how he felt about Jaylon's inabilities to perform, despite the FO's willingness to accommodate him for such a long time.

I agree that he's not a bad guy, though, just far too limited. I'm sure Jerry let him go as gently as humanly possible, although, Jaylon had to be supremely disappointed that he was released, despite being paid so generously. The FO's willingness to release him and take such a large monetary hit to do so must have been hard for Jaylon to handle. Business is business, though -- that much surely became painfully obvious to him. It was necessary.
Amen great post could not agree more .

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Anyone care to guess how much Jaylon gets from another team?

I’ll go with vet min plus minimal incentives. A team may throw him a face-saving bone with some fake years added on which he will never see. Watch the guaranteed money and don’t fall for those fake out years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eh, I agree with you, but at least Lawrence isn't a liability. Tough to stomach his cap hit, but when healthy he still contributes. Jaylon has the cap hit AND is really a liability at this point, can't play special teams, etc. I just don't see them as comparable.

My only comp was in terms of the money involved. I don't think they remotely compare anywhere else.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Can you imagine how difficult it would be for Quinn to keep asking all the other guys to lay it all out there every Sunday when a turd like Jaylon is allowed to exist. There is no way people like Jayron Kearse would watch the film week after week and be happy with what they see. This is such a positive step forward for the team. I am stoked.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It’s not being cheap. It’s trying to get better. Jaylon being cut is addition by subtraction. I can guarantee he was in the locker room blowing up about play time. You can’t have that on a team like this, with this much new talent.
Its all subjective but based on what i've read he wasn't bad in the locker room...it wasn't a cut about his play. IT was all strictly about money. Which is fine. Also just read he was asked to take the injury clause out of his deal and he refused.