RELEASED Jaylon Smith released

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We would rather pay you to disappear than have you drag us down any longer. LOL. What a POS.
Don't give them that much credit. They knew what Jaylon was going into this season and had a chance to release him and didn't. Don't give their incompetence any credit.

Plankton

Reaction score
There is still a 6.8 million dead cap for 2022.

None of this makes any football sense.

There is more to this.

The 6.8M was going to be there regardless - it's a sunk cost.

This was to avoid the injury guarantee for his 2022 base salary. I posted at the end of camp that I would have cut him then for that very reason.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gotta say I'm shocked by this. Not particularly upset by it. Assuming others stay healthy I don't think there will be any negative impact on the field. Of course, how safe is that assumption? In any case, I assume this doesn't save salary cap dollars, so I thought he would be kept as depth for this season even if his playing time diminished.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Its all subjective but based on what i've read he wasn't bad in the locker room...it wasn't a cut about his play. IT was all strictly about money. Which is fine. Also just read he was asked to take the injury clause out of his deal and he refused.

I agree with this.....if it was his play, they would have done it in March before his 2021 salary began guaranteed. They certainly didn't need to see 4 games to know what they were to expect. No way they were cutting him w/o a replacement in March. Remember they went into draft expecting to draft a CB in the first round. So I guess you could say, had they drafted Surtain, there's a good chance Jaylon is still on this team. Simply put, Parson is the reason Jaylon is gone.........

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Gotta say I'm shocked by this. Not particularly upset by it. I don't think there will be any negative impact on the field. But I assume this doesn't save salary cap dollars, so I thought he would be kept as depth for this season even if his playing time diminished.
It saves next year's cap dollars.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I agree with this.....if it was his play, they would have done it in March before his 2021 salary began guaranteed. They certainly didn't need to see 4 games to know what they were to expect. No way they were cutting him w/o a replacement in March. Remember they went into draft expecting to draft a CB in the first round. So I guess you could say, had they drafted Surtain, there's a good chance Jaylon is still on this team. Simply put, Parson is the reason Jaylon is gone.........
He had wrist surgery this offseason which kicked on the injury clause.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gotta say I'm shocked by this. Not particularly upset by it. I don't think there will be any negative impact on the field. But I assume this doesn't save salary cap dollars, so I thought he would be kept as depth for this season even if his playing time diminished.

It looks to have come down to injury guarantees. Word is that his offseason wrist surgery guaranteed his 2022 salary and another would have guaranteed his 2022 salary. “Fool me once…”

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Once he was good enough to start, you just couldn't take that chance coz a season-ending injury would have guaranteed his 2022 salary.

Plankton

Reaction score
Why does Jaylon have so many injury clauses where his money is guaranteed after suffering a major injury? I feel like it should be the other way around where if he suffers a major injury or misses X amount of games his money is not guaranteed and can be cut.

Because he had a good agent, and the Jones boys suck at negotiating contracts.

silver

Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't cutting him after this season have done that though?
If he gets hurt this season, next year's salary is guaranteed. That's why they're mentioning removing the injury clause in his contract.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He had wrist surgery this offseason which kicked on the injury clause.

What do you mean? he healed from the wrist surgery.......so that has nothing to do with whether or not he could pass a physical at the start of the 2022 season.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
According to NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo, the Cowboys could still pull off a last-minute trade as Smith’s release does not become official until transactions are announced late in the afternoon on October 6. Multiple NFL insiders reported the Cowboys exhausted all of the available options and are prepared to cut Smith.

Cowboys Rumors: Trade Offers for Jaylon Smith Turned Down | Heavy.com

Of course the only way this could happen is if a team were willing to give up late rd pick to avoid having to compete with another team for Jayon.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What do you mean? he healed from the wrist surgery.......so that has nothing to do with whether or not he could pass a physical at the start of the 2022 season.

I've heard people suggest that he could've got that wrist cleaned up some this year and he would've got his clause.

Blake

Reaction score
According to NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo, the Cowboys could still pull off a last-minute trade as Smith’s release does not become official until transactions are announced late in the afternoon on October 6. Multiple NFL insiders reported the Cowboys exhausted all of the available options and are prepared to cut Smith.

Cowboys Rumors: Trade Offers for Jaylon Smith Turned Down | Heavy.com

Of course the only way this could happen is if a team were willing to give up late rd pick to avoid having to compete with another team for Jayon.

giphy.gif