Jaylon Smith thread

TheHerd

Reaction score
Playing him in the middle was a mistake from day one. He never took on Guards @ ND. He is a run and chase LBer...and right now..he can't run.:rolleyes:

Smith just doens't look like a MLB. At all. I don't care what the scale says, he's not a thick bodied guy.

I don't really watch college football so I don't know what he did at ND, but when he first stepped on the field I was surprised to see him as a MLB, even though everyone had penciled him in there. His body type says no way is he a player who can take on and shed blockers.

School

Reaction score
Too soon to say he is a bust, but really needs his snaps limited.

I get injuries are unpredictable, but I don't get the FO sitting on their hands after Hitchens/Lee got injured.
Making Jaylon play almost the entire game on defense is on the coaches/FO.

Sure, experience "helps" but I'm not sure how much it helps if he isn't at 100% and is playing tentative.

The Jaylon thing plus the secondary overhaul sometimes makes me wonder if they are thinking either:

(A) The offense is so good that it can mask an almost total rebuild of the defense.
(B) This isn't our year yet, and we're going to focus more on player development.

Or some combination of the two.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
True, he blew a one on one yesterday too

He also blew that key 3rd down conversion to a Jones in the 2nd half. It was a 3rd and 1 or 2. He saw the play develop and in solid position, but simply got outrun to the perimeter by Jones. I believe if healthy or he beats Jones to the spot and makes contact with Jones right at the LOS. Again, he's just not ready. But he's too proud to admit it and the team is too arrogant or plain dumb to limit his snaps.

erod

Reaction score
A month ago, people would bash you for saying this... a couple of weeks ago, some would bash you.....a week ago a handful would call you out, and now pretty much everyone agrees that Jaylon is bad.

I got dogpiled mercilessly for saying it a few weeks ago. LOL, you'd think I whizzed on the star itself.

Not now though. Clear as bell that he stinks.

My doctor neighbor said these things simply do not heal. Might the Cowboys' doctor be letting his ego get the best of him?

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I got dogpiled mercilessly for saying it a few weeks ago. LOL, you'd think I whizzed on the star itself.

Not now though. Clear as bell that he stinks.

My doctor neighbor said these things simply do not heal. Might the Cowboys' doctor be letting his ego get the best of him?
What? People dogpiled you? Man... I feel ya. It always starts that way when you point out any player, but eventually most see the light.

Heck every single anyalyst/sports radio commentator has shifted the narrative from Jaylon isn't good to "let's blame the coaches " for putting him in this situation. The team doctors should step in and say, look he's not right yet.

erod

Reaction score
What? People dogpiled you? Man... I feel ya. It always starts that way when you point out any player, but eventually most see the light.

Heck every single anyalyst/sports radio commentator has shifted the narrative from Jaylon isn't good to "let's blame the coaches " for putting him in this situation. The team doctors should step in and say, look he's not right yet.

It's like watching Captain Hook run around out there on a peg leg.

Awkward to witness.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If you noticed, he wasn’t on the field as much this game as the previous. The team has seen enough.

haleyrules

Reaction score

You know what. I actually feel sorry for Smith. Its a tough situation and he is catching a lot of unneeded and undeserved heat. That boy isn't healthy. He may never be an NFL top LB...I don't know...but he sure isn't getting a fair chance at this point either.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I get that he hasn't been an all-star on the field, but damn some of you are ruthless. Saying he sucks and calling him a bust only 5 weeks into his NFL career. After he sat out for some time and battled his way through a very significant injury. The kid has a lot of heart. How about questioning the coaching staff for putting him into a failing situation? Personally, I'm willing to give the kid some time. I get that our loses are frustrating but I'm not willing to make him the sole fallguy. This defensive unit as a whole is pretty pathetic.

Agree...Marinellie is doing him no favors either by playing him in the middle.:rolleyes:

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
Can we all just stop the Jaylon love finally?

As of right now, he is absolutely horrible. Teams just look for him, and attack him ruthlessly.

He should be on IR.

Why did we draft him at 34? We’re we worried he would be selected before the 3rd round? Because I highly doubt he would have from what was said at the time.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Hitchens and Lee being injured have forced them to put Smith in a lot more then the team probably planned for him to be this year, especially early on, coming off the knee injury he is coming off of.

It sucks for Smith, and the team, right now but hopefully this extra experience will help him out down the road when he's fully recovered.

Hopefully Lee is back after the bye and Smith won't need to be on the field nearly as much.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I'll save the mods a second and post a thread for him.

I love Smith's heart. I love his spirit. I hate seeing him on the field.

He shouldn't even be active on game day let alone playing significant snaps. He is not ready. You can get dozens of other players to do better than him right now.

Stop being stubborn and be sensible. It's killing this team.
I have to agree. Jaylon has been horrid these last two games.

He's lost........nice Brian's Song story but he's a liability at this point.

Started out strong but has progessively gotten worse......

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Can we all just stop the Jaylon love finally?

As of right now, he is absolutely horrible. Teams just look for him, and attack him ruthlessly.

He should be on IR.

He should not be on IR....goodness....so we can go through this again next season? His body isn't up to where hopefully it should be but he's not there mentally either....

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
Jaylon was an investment when the pick was made, and he is still an investment now. He's learning how to play the game of football again on a 90% healed knee and learning to play at NFL speed on the fly.

That's a recipe for disaster for anyone. Unfortunately due to the lack of depth at LB, there isn't much choice and he'll continue to be a liability.

If Jaylon can commit himself to learning the mental and physical aspects of the NFL game as passionately and effectively as he did committing himself to healing his knee, he might prove to be worthy of his draft position.

erod

Reaction score
He should not be on IR....goodness....so we can go through this again next season? His body isn't up to where hopefully it should be but he's not there mentally either....

He can't turn, pivot, plant, or cut and run.

He can attack straight ahead only.

He's a complete liability right now.