Jaylon Smith thread

bark

Reaction score
Great kid and story but not NFL ready. Someone anyone but him right now.
Jerry needs to suck up his ego and admit to a reach here.
In today's NFL your high round draft picks need to hit the ground running. Taco I see you.
Kid just can't run. Enough is enough

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Kids got heart but he lacks explosiveness and lateral movement which are keys to playing LBer in the NFL. They need him to continue as a project player and maybe take a shot at it again in 2019...

Blackspider214

Reaction score
He is downright terrible. The feel good story aspect has worn off. It was a dumb pick then and even looks worse now if that's possible. The fact we wasted a 2nd round pick on a guy who had this serious of an injury and didn't even play last year is inexcusable. Especially coming off a 4-12 season. Not like we were NE and could afford to take a risk. This dude isn't even practice squad talent. Teams know he can't even move and run at him all day. Get ready for it. Rams figured it out and so did GB.

Another wasted 2nd round pick. All the worse is who was there when we took this project. Myles Jack anyone? Yeah...

RS12

Reaction score
Chances are he will never be 100%

People need to come to grips.

Same people that thought he’d be a stud this year are now posting he needs another year.
Sums it up, at 21 months from the surgery it doesnt look good.

RS12

Reaction score
It boils down to this, lots of teams had him off their draft board for a reason, now you know why. Taking him #34 overall in the 2016 draft was a really bad gamble. Imagine if they actually had a player contributing at any position from that pick.

clff15701

Reaction score
To me it looks like he needs to drop some weight. He looks like a bodybuilder out there.

RoboQB

Reaction score
My problem with Jaylon has been play recognition. It seems like he starts moving in bad directions towards the ball. I really feel some of it is not just his bum knee. I Know it doesn't help but I don't think that is solely the issue with him. I'm worried.

Always seems to take 2-3 steps in the wrong direction.
You'd think he'd make a play by accident while he's out there, but no.

revospeed

Reaction score
I've been saying it since Day1. Posting breakdowns and clips from analysts. Just watch. He doesn't initiate contact. He waits till it comes.

It's so obvious. Sure he's a great story. Sure it's remarkable how far he's come. But he's no bueno right now.

He was a finesse linebacker in college. He's a better looking version of Bobby Carpenter.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The problem is that he is waiting for the contact, not going forward to initiate the contact. I don't know if he is scared he is going to hurt his knee if he goes charging in there or if he is just not sure what the offense is doing and he is confused, I don't know.

In the Rams game, his average point of contact was 10 yards past the line of scrimmage, I don't know what it was in this game. But that kinda proves the point, he is just standing there waiting for the contact to come to him.

I feel bad for the kid, I really do, but at this point he is just not ready to play in the NFL.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
The problem is that he is waiting for the contact, not going forward to initiate the contact. I don't know if he is scared he is going to hurt his knee if he goes charging in there or if he is just not sure what the offense is doing and he is confused, I don't know.

In the Rams game, his average point of contact was 10 yards past the line of scrimmage, I don't know what it was in this game. But that kinda proves the point, he is just standing there waiting for the contact to come to him.

I feel bad for the kid, I really do, but at this point he is just not ready to play in the NFL.

and that’s why he’s getting “blown” out of plays. he waits too much, i don’t know if he’s scared or just waiting to decipher the play. even if he’s overthinking where to attack, his nerve is not ready. i’m all for minimizing his plays this season. i’ll wait to call him a bust till 2018. he should have reached “his” maximum nerve regeneration by then.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
Jaylon and Taco have played the same number of games in the NFL....

Taco is 100% HEALTHY and has been a non factor...

So are you going to make a Taco Charlton thread too? :rolleyes:
Umm Taco isn't out there the majority of the game like Smith is. We have Tank, Irvin, & Crawford, so Taco isn't a liability like peg leg Jaylon.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I look forward to watching the monumental shift in air currents once you all do that complete 180 on Jaylon. It may not happen this year (never expected it to.. He's a rook. Duh) but it will happen. I'm not going to care to remember your names when it does happen but you know who you are.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Always seems to take 2-3 steps in the wrong direction.
You'd think he'd make a play by accident while he's out there, but no.

From his draft profile:

Tackles for loss production doesn't match up with his traits. Too passive in his approach preferring to wait on plays rather than racing downhill to own them. Not strong enough at point of attack to maintain balance and positioning when blockers get into his frame. Understands angles to the ball, but still learning shortcuts through the gaps. Flies after the ball with reckless abandon failing to come to balance as a tackler. Has habit of lunging into arm tackles rather than using feet to work into better tackling position. Missed 11 tackles this year. Tore ACL and MCL in his bowl game and his rookie season is in doubt.