Jaylon Smith weekly thread?

Sydla

Reaction score
There was another play early in the game where he was out in space and either the RG or RT straight up pancaked him on his back like a video game.

There was the goal line play too where he tried to spin (or run around a blocker) and got shoved out of the play, if I recall. Thomas also got totally smoked as he got tossed like a rag doll. Not good when your best LB is a guy who should be retired.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I've said it before, it's like he snorts pixie sticks before each series. He is a spaz out there just running around like a chicken without a head. His feet are constantly moving, he never just settles down, he throws himself onto piles, runs all over the field, etc. It's like he has a perverse notion of "hustle" where he thinks if he just runs around a lot and constantly is moving, he's trying.

I think he's a guy that needs an elite LB coach to try to fix him at this point. I don't think he's getting that here.
I'm not even sure he would respond well to elite coaching at this point.

He thinks he is a star and Jerry only reinforces that when asked.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Welcome to the NFL of the modern era ! When did you start watching ? lol
Yeah I know, but when your team does it and then a player who routinely gets abused does it is just too much.

The group defensive celebrations about make me puke. And then we have the dance crap the NFL is promoting. If I wanted to watch dancing we have a show for that.

Modern day players are a product of the stupid society we have become!

pavalley

Reaction score
I've said it before, it's like he snorts pixie sticks before each series. He is a spaz out there just running around like a chicken without a head. His feet are constantly moving, he never just settles down, he throws himself onto piles, runs all over the field, etc. It's like he has a perverse notion of "hustle" where he thinks if he just runs around a lot and constantly is moving, he's trying.

I think he's a guy that needs an elite LB coach to try to fix him at this point. I don't think he's getting that here.
I coach youth football, he plays like the 11-12 year olds. You are so right, hyped up on sugar ! He has the physical skills, I think the fans have gotten in his head and now he tries to look like he's hustling...spot on..

pavalley

Reaction score
Yeah I know, but when your team does it and then a player who routinely gets abused does it is just too much.

The group defensive celebrations about make me puke. And then we have the dance crap the NFL is promoting. If I wanted to watch dancing we have a show for that.

Modern day players are a product of the stupid society we have become!
couldnt agree with you more...

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm not even sure he would respond well to elite coaching at this point.

He thinks he is a star and Jerry only reinforces that when asked.

I have never gotten this impression and am not sure where fans get this notion. What has he done that makes you believe he thinks he's a star?

I think people dislike him so much because he's a bad LB that they tend to exaggerate things about him overall. I mean there were people pissed that he had outside businesses and was involved in an entrepreneur program for minorities. It apparently showed he didn't have any commitment to playing football.

He's a crappy LB who makes too much money thanks to Jerry. That's the only fair criticism of him that I can find.

Cmac

Reaction score
Will you just stop......the threads are coming!!!

angry-man-pointing-finger.jpg

Creeper

Reaction score
There should be a weekly thread. He was his usual terrible self yesterday. Thank goodness for Sean Lee.

cern

Reaction score
He wasn't all that good yesterday. I mean at this point, it's broken record pointing out all the bad plays he made. He wasn't alone either, Thomas wasn't very good either. I thought Lee played fairly well, however.
lee was a pleasant surprise yesterday. his best game this year for sure.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
In this game at least he seemed to be waiting for the play to develop, not able to anticipate the play.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He's like a rubber ball

Here it is...

VAXylz.gif

He's so technique poor. His pad level is way too high when taking on blockers. It's not uncommon for him to be pushed back 4-5 yards. Stop me if you've seen this before: Jaylon engages blocker; Jaylon gets pushed back at will; play is stopped by someone else; Jaylon finally runs around the blocker and runs up to the play.

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
I have never gotten this impression and am not sure where fans get this notion. What has he done that makes you believe he thinks he's a star?

I think people dislike him so much because he's a bad LB that they tend to exaggerate things about him overall. I mean there were people pissed that he had outside businesses and was involved in an entrepreneur program for minorities. It apparently showed he didn't have any commitment to playing football.

He's a crappy LB who makes too much money thanks to Jerry. That's the only fair criticism of him that I can find.
Guess you missed him entering the stadium last year at Chicago.

It was embarrassing to everyone, mostly himself.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This may sound crazy but maybe he has bad eyes, bad football eyes. I never thought of this until MM noted earlier in this season how defensives players play the game with their eyes. He also noted when games opposing defenses, he's looking for players with bad eyes.
Dial back a few years ago after the playoff loss to the Rams where they burned the D all game with misdirection plays. Many may have missed or don't remember Jaylon's comments after the game but he said and I quote " they made us use our eyes".

My point, I'm sure he's seeing the ball as well but relies on the flow/direction of the play.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Here it is...

VAXylz.gif

To be fair to Jaylon you had a DE completely come off his responsibility and go after the RB, taking himself out of the play completely. Jaylon got doubled by a G and T, no LB is going to win that match. I cant tell the number, but i'm guessing Dlaw is the reason that play went for big yards.

Sydla

Reaction score
Here it is...

VAXylz.gif

He's so technique poor. His pad level is way too high when taking on blockers. It's not uncommon for him to be pushed back 4-5 yards.

LOL. If ever there was a play to use his patented spin move with two OL coming at him, that was the play. But instead he just takes him on and gets planted. Hahahaha.

foofighters

Reaction score
That's not unique to him. A lot of players do this. Guys celebrating after a big hit on a 20 yard reception crack me up.
But he does it constantly. It's like he's hoping for his participation trophy after every game.

Sydla

Reaction score
Guess you missed him entering the stadium last year at Chicago.

It was embarrassing to everyone, mostly himself.

I saw it. It was goofy. If you know anything about him, he's a goofy guy. Was like that back at ND. He's always been a happy go lucky, goofy kid.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
There are usually at least two threads by now. What's going on guys??? Is this good or bad??? (LOL)

Seriously ........something I think we all can agree about his game Sunday. He played hard....

BTW: something that's gotten lost in all his criticism is his durability.
Jaylon at the beginning of the game looked like he was mailing it in like the rest of the defense after the first two series but he stepped it up with 11 tackles and a fumble recovery. I still see Jeff Cavanaugh and company ripping him and saying he has to go. The reality is he is our best linebacker and it’s not even close.