Jaylon Smith weekly thread?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
To be fair to Jaylon you had a DE completely come off his responsibility and go after the RB, taking himself out of the play completely. Jaylon got doubled by a G and T, no LB is going to win that match. I cant tell the number, but i'm guessing Dlaw is the reason that play went for big yards.

100% ......he was blocked by not one but 2 offensive linemen. Jaylon has had his moments for sure but wasn't much he could do on that play.

9darter

Reaction score
I'm not even sure he would respond well to elite coaching at this point.

He thinks he is a star and Jerry only reinforces that when asked.

Yup, provides him with a platform for his insufferable, entitled me me me first branding.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Hopefully, LVE will be back this week. I would like to see both Lee and LVE out there and Jaylon Smith backing up.

Biggest problem with Jaylon Smith is that his instincts are often wrong and he gives up his responsibilities too soon.

Second biggest problem is that he is always looking for the big hit, decapitating a player, and making ESPN highlights. Need to just get him to think solid not spectacular.

Most labs are nice dogs and people like them. Jaylon is like that big, overexcited, lumbering lab jumping all around scaring the guests. The type of lab which inhales without chewing its food in seconds. The type of lab which can’t be trained.

dfense

Reaction score
It's pretty obvious to me he can't plant his feet and hold his ground. Maybe he's worried about his knee, I don't know. But when he's engaged with a blocker, he moves backwards instead of shedding. He has straight line speed which is worthless when you can't come under control and move laterally. Totally obvious when Hurts rolled to his right early in the game and Jalon couldn't change direction to cut him off and Hurts just ran bye him.

So he's failed at 2 different LBer positions now. Hopefully the team takes at least 2 LBer prospects in the draft.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Jaylon adding to his "tackle" totals.

oVWQ13.gif

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I refuse to acknowledge any Jaylon slander until such time as they get a LB that can actually play 75% of the snaps other than Jaylon.

I am to the point of muting people on twitter that tweet : "Get Jaylon off the field/team" et al.
I mean who exactly do you think they are gonna put in???

baltcowboy

Reaction score
What game were you fools watching to think Sean Lee was any good yesterday? They put a cornerback out there to be a spy because Lee and Thomas were so bad. LVE makes no plays and is injury prone. No interceptions or fumble recoveries. You all are comical.

Sydla

Reaction score
What game were you fools watching to think Sean Lee was any good yesterday? They put a cornerback out there to be a spy because Lee and Thomas were so bad. LVE makes no plays and is injury prone. No interceptions or fumble recoveries. You all are comical.

There are not many LBs out there that can spy Hurts. He's very fast. So I don't fault Lee for not being able to spy Hurts. Lee made some pretty big tackles yesterday. He wasn't awesome but he was pretty decent yesterday, which is a win for our LB corps.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
A lot of Jaylon's remaining supporters like to try an conveniently blame it on Nolan's scheme. These gems are from 2019 under Marinelli.

I'm not sure about this ......I don't see the support. Hell, I can't recall a single poster not happy with his play. Most, if not all, are hoping he's gone after the season.

dfense

Reaction score
To be fair to Jaylon you had a DE completely come off his responsibility and go after the RB, taking himself out of the play completely. Jaylon got doubled by a G and T, no LB is going to win that match. I cant tell the number, but i'm guessing Dlaw is the reason that play went for big yards.
What I noticed was Randy Gregory running that guy down and tackling him from his DE posistion. What a beast game he had.

mardwin

Reaction score
He was average yesterday which some times is his ceiling. Everyone now needs to temper expectations and recognize he is not the playmaker he was in Notre Dame.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Effort doesnt seem to be this guys problem...he is just a crappy football player instinct wise.

About the opposite of the other thief on this team who is an excellent football player but can only be bothered here and there.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
There are not many LBs out there that can spy Hurts. He's very fast. So I don't fault Lee for not being able to spy Hurts. Lee made some pretty big tackles yesterday. He wasn't awesome but he was pretty decent yesterday, which is a win for our LB corps.
Linebacker is the biggest problem with the pass defense.

mardwin

Reaction score
What I noticed was Randy Gregory running that guy down and tackling him from his DE posistion. What a beast game he had.
This kid has been balling since day 1, the only thing that has been stopping him has been his off the field issues.

Jarntt

Reaction score
He mostly sucked again. Stuck on blocks as usual. What else needs to be said. Rinse, repeat

Section446

Reaction score
He's another one of those players you look at and say to yourself: "now I understand why we've been so bad for the past 2 decades, average players that are paid like top-3 players."

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Like the previous poster noted, it's a broken record. The eyes and instincts needed don't exist.

While the interior DL also needs to be upgraded, if you add 2 average LBs who play with disciplined eyes and good instincts, you'll see a noticeable difference in the defense. Many of those 7-8+ yard carries suddenly become only 3-4 yard gains.
This is complete nonsense.
On an 8 yard run where I was ready to laugh at Jaylon for another tackle after big gain I looked up and guess who was at 10 yards?? The DT in front of Jaylon when the play began.

What fans want of Jaylon doesn't exist anywhere with any player in the league.

You don't have LB who can stack an OG and shed them with no DT help that can also chase down Jalen Hurts.
Fans are simply morons.
And it isn't really their fault.
It's nonce people pretending they know football doing all these detailed breakdowns using football jargon with zero meaning or connection to reality behind it.

Jaylon's biggest issue is he has played the 3rd most run defense snaps of any LB in football. That's not what he is or what he was drafted to be but the role he must play in Dallas because we have no one else.
they spent all off-season handing that role to LVE but he can't physically do it. Neither can Lee or Thomas.
So Jaylon is back there again playing Mike every play.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I saw it. It was goofy. If you know anything about him, he's a goofy guy. Was like that back at ND. He's always been a happy go lucky, goofy kid.
All respect....I like your posts....but something like that will give people that kind of impression. I didn't just dream up that about him, misunderstood or not.

Doubt I'm the only one who was turned off to that, and then he goes out there and stinks it up on the field....and has been pretty much ever since.

I dont like him nor wish for him to be part of things on the team moving ahead but that's not up to me.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Good observation. He goes unblocked, but didn’t fall for the fake. He played it perfectly and runs down the qb from the backside. That stuff won’t go unnoticed during film sessions.