Jaylon Smith

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Hitchens will get offers to be a starter. He will not want to re-sign with the Cowboys if he thinks they are going to just give the starting spot to Jalen.
OK then bye... Because it's all about competition and earning your job.. I'm confident Jaylon will beast in trading camp. If Hitchens isn't up for some competition, bye.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We have lee's Injury issues. Not sure what will happen with hitchens and durant is gone. What will they do with wilson?

Wilson plays. Lee is great when on the field. Hitchens will be around I think but not sure. We need to obtain a productive cover LB in FA and then look to draft a LB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK then bye... Because it's all about competition and earning your job.. I'm confident Jaylon will beast in trading camp. If Hitchens isn't up for some competition, bye.
It's not about competition. It's the concept of the team starting Jalen because they want to prove themselves right about picking him even if Hitchens is better.

Jalen played this season even when Lee and Hitchens were available. That might have been been because Hitchens had some injury issues and they wanted to limit his workload; however, Jalen never showed to be a better player than Hitchens. Yes, he has a possible higher upside but we have not seen it yet.

kumizi

Reaction score
I'm predicting he will be a below average starting linebacker. If the Cowboys dont have a solid backup plan for him, they are going to regret it.

My dream pick in the 1st round is Roquan Smith.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Every fan wants instant gratification. This is what happens when you draft, you need years for payoff. If you get great players in FA, it's instant gratification in most cases. Remember this going into the off season. Jaylon is going to be a good one, but it'll take him 3 or 4 years.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
It's not about competition. It's the concept of the team starting Jalen because they want to prove themselves right about picking him even if Hitchens is better.

Jalen played this season even when Lee and Hitchens were available. That might have been been because Hitchens had some injury issues and they wanted to limit his workload; however, Jalen never showed to be a better player than Hitchens. Yes, he has a possible higher upside but we have not seen it yet.
Jaylon bro! Jaylon! AKA J-Train

IheartRomo

Reaction score
I would be absolutely ecstatic if he proved to be a slightly below average to average starter next year. He wasn't just bad this year - he was AWFUL.

Any progression towards league average next year would be big.

bodi

Reaction score
great another thread to bookmark - see you next year

Verdict

Reaction score
Maybe Lee should be the MLB. They moved him to the weak side to keep him from getting hurt but it doesn't seem to be working very well.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm thinking next year our LB corps will be :

Lee, Smith, Hitchens, draft pick, Wilson
Correctamundo. Only thing I would add is a FA instead of draft pick but it's unlikley the Cowboys pay Hitch and a FA. Really excited to see Jaylon. He's been looking so much better the last few weeks.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Maybe Lee should be the MLB. They moved him to the weak side to keep him from getting hurt but it doesn't seem to be working very well.

I think he should line up wherever he wants at this point.

I'm ok with it.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Even if you throw the injury out, he still has to prove he is a player.

He's still got time to prove he's got it, but healthy, skilled college players wash out at the pro level all the time.

tkluu

Reaction score
I hope they move him to Will or Sam, we need a stronger run defender at Mike.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have been to PO'd at the offense to pay a lot of attention to the progress on defense other than Rod drives me crazy.
Has Jalon's speed and awareness improved and does anybody know him well enough to know if he's sharp enough to be another Sean Lee and study, and is he willing to make that kind of commitment?
Because honestly somebody has got to step in and try to fill Shawn Lee shoes because this injury thing isn't going to get better

I love the guy but I guess he either over built his body or whatever. we either have to have the scheme that will cover his loss or a guy to step up and take his place.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Said from the moment we drafted him that he should play weak side or strong side... Completely miscast as a middle linebacker in the NFL.
They'll figure it out. He's a "player" and that's all that matters right now. Whether it's Marinelli or some new DC next year, I'm pretty confident they'll line him up wherever they think he will be most successful.