Jaylon Smith

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I have been to PO'd at the offense to pay a lot of attention to the progress on defense other than Rod drives me crazy.
Has Jalon's speed and awareness improved and does anybody know him well enough to know if he's sharp enough to be another Sean Lee and study, and is he willing to make that kind of commitment?
Because honestly somebody has got to step in and try to fill Shawn Lee shoes because this injury thing isn't going to get better

I love the guy but I guess he either over built his body or whatever. we either have to have the scheme that will cover his loss or a guy to step up and take his place.
Here's the short version.

He was thrust into a starting role too early and struggled mightily during the first 6-8 games of his rookie season.

He then started to catch his stride around midway due to a healthy returning Lee and Hitchens which ultimately limited his exposure and allowed him to learn in a conducive environment around Lee.

In this latter part of the season, he has really started to show flashes making some pretty big stops in some of the games down the stretch. His name doesn't get called as often which mean he is blending in and just playing ball.

Next year will be special with a real injury free offseason under his belt.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
They'll figure it out. He's a "player" and that's all that matters right now. Whether it's Marinelli or some new DC next year, I'm pretty confident they'll line him up wherever they think he will be most successful.

Tell that to Chaz Green...

yentl911

Reaction score
I'm hoping that as Jaylon gets healthier he will gain confidence in his leg and start playing football rather than out thinking himself. I don't know if he will be what he once was but I think he will be a solid LB that we will be happy is here for years to come. Class act and really driven to be great. The more he hangs with Lee the better. Big hitter - watch tape and his collisions are violent. I'm cheering for him

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The O side of the ball is run by complete morons - what they did to Chaz and the calls they made last weekend prove that beyond any doubt. Clueless

The defense isn't much better to be honest. They've misused players as well. How many times have they swapped Tyrone Crawford's position. David Irving was similar. Hell they thought Jeff Heath was a starting in the NFL at safety... and thought Nolan Carroll and Damontre Moore were legitimate free agent pick ups...

yentl911

Reaction score
Omg. Pls don't mention that pop warner all star's name in this thread. Evil.
After being exposed like he was with no help on national TV and the subject line of several jokes after the performance against the Falcons his confidence must be trashed and his value is negligible - he might struggle against the pop warner kids!!

dfense

Reaction score
If you're not excited about next year's Jaylon, you're missing the train.
If RBs were trains, he missed a lot of them. He doesn't seen to have LBer instincts. Gets caught in the wash a lot and then doesn't shed well. Maybe OLB is his best position. Hope most of that is injury related.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
If RBs were trains, he missed a lot of them. He doesn't seen to have LBer instincts. Gets caught in the wash a lot and then doesn't shed well. Maybe OLB is his best position. Hope most of that is injury related.

Do you agree or disagree with this assessment?

Here's the short version.

He was thrust into a starting role too early and struggled mightily during the first 6-8 games of his rookie season.

He then started to catch his stride around midway due to a healthy returning Lee and Hitchens which ultimately limited his exposure and allowed him to learn in a conducive environment around Lee.

In this latter part of the season, he has really started to show flashes making some pretty big stops in some of the games down the stretch. His name doesn't get called as often which mean he is blending in and just playing ball.

Next year will be special with a real injury free offseason under his belt.

yentl911

Reaction score
The defense isn't much better to be honest. They've misused players as well. How many times have they swapped Tyrone Crawford's position. David Irving was similar. Hell they thought Jeff Heath was a starting in the NFL at safety... and thought Nolan Carroll and Damontre Moore were legitimate free agent pick ups...
They have done well with what they had and I feel they have turned the corner with the young secondary. It isn't a bad thing to switch guys up on the D line to see where they might fit the best.

I would take Heath over Byron Jones in a second.

Never understood Carroll - prolly just a stop gap with so many vets leaving in the off-season and wanted some insurance. Once they found out that the young kids could play, he was gone.

I thought Moore may be serviceable in rotation. Didn't work out and they cut ties.

yentl911

Reaction score
Sure, he got better as the season went on. I question his instincts.
He had great instincts in college and I think you either have them or not. I think his biggest issue is getting 100 percent healthy and getting confidence back in his leg. He shows apprehension right now and I think he doesn't fully trust his leg yet. It will come.

I didn't even think he would be playing yet so I am happy he has progressed like he has.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Sure, he got better as the season went on. I question his instincts.
Well then.you may have missed a few games down the stretch because his instincts were clearly on display in some big stops.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Not even sure he's an NFL starter at this point.
You're trippin. Dude is on an elite track.

1 hour ago

FRISCO, Texas -- Just by playing, Jaylon Smith has accomplished something few thought he ever would after tearing the anterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in his left knee and overcoming damage to the peroneal nerve.

In the Dallas Cowboys' season finale Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles, Smith will play his 16th game, a full season.

“To be able to compete at the highest level, playing for America’s team, it’s a dream come true,” Smith said “But it’s just the beginning to something special.

A year ago at this time, Smith could not lift his toes because of the nerve damage. Through 15 games, he is the Cowboys’ second-leading tackler with 97, according to the coaches’ count. He has 1 sack, 3 tackles for loss, 4 quarterback pressures, 2 pass deflections and 2 forced fumbles.

Teammates have noticed his hard work. Last week, Smith was voted by his teammates as the Ed Block Courage Award winner, given to players who have overcome injuries.

Just playing in the season opener against the New York Giants was an accomplishment, considering the state of his knee when the Cowboys took him in the second round of the 2016 draft, but he started the game, as well. He has played 560 of 989 defensive snaps on the season, splitting time with Anthony Hitchens but starting six games because of injuries to Hitchens and Sean Lee.

Smith’s snaps have ranged from 14 to 69 throughout the season. His tackle totals have ranged from 1 to 14.

“I think he’s just gotten more and more confident,” coach Jason Garrett said. “I think he’s seen a lot more looks than he had before he started playing. I just think he’s one of those guys who learns from those experiences. You see it in him. He probably triggers faster, he’s more aggressive and confident as a hitter. I think he’s probably better in pass coverage because, again, you have different experiences, some good and some not so good. If you approach it the right way and you learn from it, you’ll get better. He’s certainly done that.”

More at the link below.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...son-comes-to-an-end-he-is-feeling-elite-again

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wilson plays. Lee is great when on the field. Hitchens will be around I think but not sure. We need to obtain a productive cover LB in FA and then look to draft a LB.

Agree FA and Draft at least 2 LB's.
A few years back they brought. in and signed a lot of LB's. We had like 15 going to TC.
then last year they go the opposite direction.

IMO they relied upon J. Smith too much to be better and didn't go after LB's or draft any. They over drafted DT's when not needed in the 7th round.

So to the 2018 needs. Draft a starter type LB, and the heck with loyalty to any player.
For Lee's eventual replacement, and to compete with Hitchens, if resigned and Smith. And Wilson. But I like all 4 of these LB's.
But we need to replace wilber. Other than St's he does nothing, never has. And to replace any other LB they will trot out Sunday to look at. As one good game people will go crazy an say we found a LB then we may not have. Just found one to keep for TC.