Twitter: Jaylon's Packer salary is $770,000

Plankton

Reaction score
So he is getting about 5-6 million for the rest of the year

Of course, the Pack will pay him the minimum because Jaylen gets paid the same either way, as the Cowboys are on the hook for the rest.

There would be one exception to that. If Smith took his salary for this season as termination pay (and vested vets can do this one time in their careers), the 770K would be added to the remaining 5.8M on his original 2021 contract. I do not know whether he did this or not.

conner01

Reaction score
Good deal for the Packers, even if Jaylon continues to play at a lower level.

Honestly looks like everyone gets what they wanted. I'd rather the Cowboys paid him even if he was a backup since they're going to pay him anyway, but I suppose this was more about how the Cap works next year.
If he stayed here the injury clause was too much liability
9 mil is too much to gamble

aikemirv

Reaction score
So let me get this straight, LVE is mad at us fans because we are excited to let Jaylon go. All the while, the best Jaylon could do otherwise was the vet minimum!!

Think about that for a minute.

And as far as LVE is considered. I had to sit thru the worst defense I have ever seen the Cowboys play in my 50 years of watching them. Anybody is fair game!!!!

Verdict

Reaction score
So he is getting about 5-6 million for the rest of the year

Of course, the Pack will pay him the minimum because Jaylen gets paid the same either way, as the Cowboys are on the hook for the rest.
That is correct. But whatever we get back as a setoff is gravy for us.

DFWJC

Reaction score
There would be one exception to that. If Smith took his salary for this season as termination pay (and vested vets can do this one time in their careers), the 770K would be added to the remaining 5.8M on his original 2021 contract. I do not know whether he did this or not.
Great info.
Thanks

Verdict

Reaction score
Haha come on man, if he was released by another team and came to the Cowboys we would all be amped up talking about a former pro bowler coming here for peanuts and virtually no risk. :)
That’s a good deal for the Packers. A cheap look at the player. It was not a good deal for the Cowboys. The risk vs reward was out of line.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Good deal for the Packers, even if Jaylon continues to play at a lower level.

Honestly looks like everyone gets what they wanted. I'd rather the Cowboys paid him even if he was a backup since they're going to pay him anyway, but I suppose this was more about how the Cap works next year.
Not me. It would not be good for the lockeroom. This is the highest paid LBer in the history of the organization, getting 0 - 10 snaps behind a 4th round pick rookie? And if he ever had to go in the game due to injury....and subsequently injures himself...we would be stuck with him AGAIN in 2022. This had to end.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Not me. It would not be good for the lockeroom. This is the highest paid LBer in the history of the organization, getting 0 - 10 snaps behind a 4th round pick rookie? And if he ever had to go in the game due to injury....and subsequently injures himself...we would be stuck with him AGAIN in 2022. This had to end.

Yeah, I see the point based on the injury clause.

davey999

Reaction score
I can hear the Billy Beane/ David Justice discussion from here.