Jaylon's upcoming contract

Verdict

Reaction score
Salary cap management matters. Jaylon has developed into a fantastic player, but let's not forget the team got nothing in year 1 of the contract, and only average play in year 2. The production or return on investment is important on rookie contracts. The team will have gotten 2 very good (cheap) years of production for a super high 2nd round pick, instead of 4. Would another good player who was actually on the field have made a difference at the end of 2016? Now he will earn elite money. Is the LB position the best position for that, or are the QB or DL positions more important? Where best to allocate elite money?

Cooper is another good example. The team will be paying him handsomely too in short order. The first round pick used on him could have secured a good player for 5 years on a cheap rookie contract. It's not just about talent, but also about dollars. When the team is left without quality depth on the OL, DL, or other important positions, this is why.
That's exactly right.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Franchise Tag, then trade...

That only buys one year though, and at a very high price, so it still limits the trade value. I’m also thinking it would take the franchise tag off the table to be used on anyone else, although I’m not sure of that.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Jaylon is a rfa cause he didn't actually accrue service his redshirt year. Besides that, I could see him, if anyone, taking a slightly team friendly deal. He's always talking about how grateful he is jerruh took a chance on him and believed him.

I still think there is money for tank, Dak (as long as under 25), jaylon, Zeke, amari. Byron is locked up for 6m next year but we will see how he does in his contract year. He needs to repeat this year without the drop off at the end of the year.

Zeke can be squeezed cause he has another year and a 5th yr option. Byron Amari Dak and jaylon have 1 more year. Amari Dak and jaylon hopefully get done this off-season.

People want paid.

Fmart322

Reaction score
This is another example of what I have been saying with regard to our salary cap. Jaylon is turning into the top 5 pick that we envisioned he would. If he continues to improve it is highly unlikely Jerry lets him get away.

This is a contract that few are talking about but it's coming up swiftly. You don't HAVE to choose between Jaylon and Tank but if you have to choose one do you choose Jaylon or Tank? I'm taking Jaylon.

Tanks cap hit might be as much as Jaylon and Byrons combined. Let that sink in a little bit. I want to keep Tank around but we tried to sign him in the offseason and that didn't work. He will be harder to resign now because his starting number will be his franchise tag number for this year.

I know the team wants Tank around, and rightly so. They will try to resign him. But the way I see it he is going to be way overpaid OR he is going to be traded. I don't think the Cowboys will reach a "fair" price to the team to keep him around.

Mega contract decisions coming up:

Dak
Zeke
Cooper
Jaylon
Byron
Tank

The odds of us signing ALL of these guys to mega deals is unlikely. Even though we all prefer to keep all of these guys they aren't going to over pay for all of them. It just won't work.

The team could resign them all but the odds are stacked against it. Moreover the odds are if we extend all of them to mega deals we are probably going to regret at least two of them. Pick any two.
I've always hated free agency and the salery cap.
just when young group of players start to get it together teams are restricted because of money to sign them all.
I don't know how New England managed to win year in and year out in this day and age.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
I think we should have a luxury type where if you draft players then that don't count towards the cap. Or something like that. Teams are punished every year because they draft well and personally I don't think that's right.

The NFL doesn't care one iota about how well a team drafts. They will NEVER let what has happened in Golden State or with the Yankees happen in the NFL.again. They want every team to remain relevant as deeply into the season as possible, and it is because of this parity that we - as fans - are never going to see the team that competes with the 90's Cowboys.

I've said it over and over - If a coaching staff can consistently take their team to the playoffs as Garrett has the past 5 years, good things will eventually happen. We're the Dez 'no catch' and the Rodgers miracle pass/Crosby 50-something yard FG away from (2) NFCCG appearances in 5 years. That's the best you're going to get in this era of football. Now we just need a couple of things to break our way and we'll be fine.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Mega contract decisions coming up:

Dak - sign him to 5 years at 28 mil a year = 140 mil. according to Dak bots his stats make him one of the top QBs
Zeke- 4 years to the tune of 15 mil a year
Cooper-4 years 15 mil a year
Jaylon- 4 years 12 mil a year
Byron- 4 years 12 mil a year
Tank- 4 years 18 mil a year

CWR

Reaction score
I think we should have a luxury type where if you draft players then that don't count towards the cap. Or something like that. Teams are punished every year because they draft well and personally I don't think that's right.

I think the cap is less about leveling the playing field and more about maximizing profits and helping to protect the smaller market teams.

The owners like it because it keeps a limit on spending and more money in their pockets, which is why it wont likely fundamentally change.

CWR

Reaction score
We are tripping(hopefully) on the cap and re signing our studs. We have been tight for several years for a reason. I believe we will keep who we want. The only one on that list that I question is B Jones, and thats because we have 3 other capable cbs.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Franchise Tag, then trade...

That only works if Tank signs the tag. If not, he's not under contract to be traded.

There's zero chance he signs another tag. You either give him his big contract, or you let him walk.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
As bad as it sounds, going into this draft with NO 1st rnd pick, I'd bet if it comes down to it, they trade DLaw for a 1st rounder and more. He's the only real choice to play that card. Hoping I am wrong and they sign him back.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That only works if Tank signs the tag. If not, he's not under contract to be traded.

There's zero chance he signs another tag. You either give him his big contract, or you let him walk.

So, we shouldn't follow Pittsburghs lead.

CPanther95

Reaction score

So, we shouldn't follow Pittsburghs lead.

No. I agree with not giving Bell his contract because it's not worth it for a RB - but if the Cowboys aren't going to use their cap space for the only decent playmaker they have on their DL, then who?

CPanther95

Reaction score
As bad as it sounds, going into this draft with NO 1st rnd pick, I'd bet if it comes down to it, they trade DLaw for a 1st rounder and more. He's the only real choice to play that card. Hoping I am wrong and they sign him back.

If you're going to trade players who aren't under contract with the Cowboys, why not trade Khalil Mack instead? We know his market value is 2 first rounders.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. I agree with not giving Bell his contract because it's not worth it for a RB - but if the Cowboys aren't going to use their cap space for the only decent playmaker they have on their DL, then who?

Tank is great when he's healthy. You may have noticed if u watch many Dallas games that his effectiveness nosedived the last half of the season and he was no factor at all in the playoffs. He was injured.

So, He's had one great year and 2 good years..........you gonna pay him like Khalil Mack? Thats what he's looking for..........Dallas has a ton of young guys that need contracts.

Last edited:

CPanther95

Reaction score
Tank is great when he's healthy. You may have noticed if watch many Dallas games that his effectiveness nosedived the last half of the season and he was no factor at all in the playoffs. He was injured.

So, He's had one great year and 2 good years..........you gonna pay him like Khalil Mack? Thats what he's looking for..........Dallas has a ton of young guys that need contracts.

LOL, if he's looking for Mack money, I'd throw the tag on him and let him sit out all season. Then I'd strongly suggest he seek psychiatric help.