Jaylon's upcoming contract

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That only works if Tank signs the tag. If not, he's not under contract to be traded.

There's zero chance he signs another tag. You either give him his big contract, or you let him walk.
Players don't turn down the team that wants to trade for them because that team will meet the contract demands.

Khalil Mack was more than happy to go to the Bears but didn't want to play on the 5th year team option which is basically the same as the Franchise Tag.

The player will lose a year's salary if he does not play when Franchised and the team could Franchise him again the following year.

Last edited:

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
All I know is Jaylon isn't one of those players that's going to take it easy after a big contract.
That's something to consider also.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Players don't turn down the team that wants to trade for them because that team will meet the contract demands.

Khalil Mack was more than happy to go to the Bears but didn't want to play on the 5th year team option which is basically the same as the Franchise Tag.

The player will lose a year's salary if he does not play when Franchised and the team could Franchise him again the following year.

5th year option isn't the same at all, you're under contract. You don't play, you don't accrue a year and the team retains your rights.

If Tank doesn't play and refuses to sign the tag and the Cowboys franchise him again - for the third time - they'll have to pay him around $30 million (Top 5 QB average salary) to play in 2020 and he'll be gone in 2021.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Looking up some of the most recent MLB contracts signed over the last few years:
https://overthecap.com/position/inside-linebacker/

Alec Ogletree: 4 years, 42 million, 1 second-team All Pro in 2016
Bernardrick McKinney: 5 years, 50 million, just made his first Pro Bowl this year (had never made a Pro Bowl when he got paid)
Eric Kendricks: 5 years, 50 milion, has never made a Pro Bowl
Mark Barron: 5 years, 45 million, has never made a Pro Bowl
Anthony Hitchens: 5 years, 45 million, has never made a Pro Bowl

5 years 45-50 million is looking like the going rate for a good second-contract MLB, Pro Bowls or not.
Good research on the numbers but it is still premature imo

This is his 3rd year coming up in 2019 and he is a RFA in 2020

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Tank is the one I think has the most trade value and would allow us to sign the rest with ease.

This is why I think it is such a problem that Taco is looking like a bad pick.

If he was living up to the billing Tank could be traded for big time picks and we would still be set at DE.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
This is why I think it is such a problem that Taco is looking like a bad pick.

If he was living up to the billing Tank could be traded for big time picks and we would still be set at DE.
Taco at max fetches a forward year 1 3rd rounder. So a 2020 3rd rounder.

I don't see any team even paying that given how strong this defensive line class is.

erod

Reaction score
Pay Zeke, Cooper, Jaylon, and Tank. Trade Byron, and don't extend Dak. Franchise him in 2020 if they must.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Pay Zeke, Cooper, Jaylon, and Tank. Trade Byron, and don't extend Dak. Franchise him in 2020 if they must.

Zeke can wait 2 years
Cooper and jaylon can wait a year
Sign tank now unless he wants too much
Agree on dak

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5th year option isn't the same at all, you're under contract. You don't play, you don't accrue a year and the team retains your rights.

If Tank doesn't play and refuses to sign the tag and the Cowboys franchise him again - for the third time - they'll have to pay him around $30 million (Top 5 QB average salary) to play in 2020 and he'll be gone in 2021.

You must be new here or unobservant if you don't think I know those details.

If the 3rd year was 30M, it would be about 22M average for 3 years (+ 20% for year 2) of DLaw on consecutive franchise tags.

Khalil Mack averages 23.5M per.

DLaw is not Khalil Mack but it would be less risk to the team as compared to giving a player with 2 back surgeries and now shoulder surgery a mega-contract.

The original point was that teams can and have traded franchise tagged players.

The point with Mack is that he had to agree to the new contract with the Bears before they would trade for him.

A player on the franchise tag would be in the same situation as Mack in that he would have to agree to the new contract before the trade would happen.

Either way, if the player holds out, he does not get paid and the team can restrict him the following year if he did hold out.

CPanther95

Reaction score
You must be new here or unobservant if you don't think I know those details.

If the 3rd year was 30M, it would be about 22M average for 3 years (+ 20% for year 2) of DLaw on consecutive franchise tags.

Khalil Mack averages 23.5M per.

DLaw is not Khalil Mack but it would be less risk to the team as compared to giving a player with 2 back surgeries and now shoulder surgery a mega-contract.

The original point was that teams can and have traded franchise tagged players.

The point with Mack is that he had to agree to the new contract with the Bears before they would trade for him.

A player on the franchise tag would be in the same situation as Mack in that he would have to agree to the new contract before the trade would happen.

Either way, if the player holds out, he does not get paid and the team can restrict him the following year if he did hold out.

If he sits out 2019 instead of signing the 2nd franchise tag, you're just paying $30 million for one year's service in 2020. It doesn't make sense to average it out if you had to replace his production during the 2nd tag.

I doubt he'll sign the tag just so Dallas can get a pick. His contract in FA will be much larger if teams don't have to give up a first round pick to get him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he sits out 2019 instead of signing the 2nd franchise tag, you're just paying $30 million for one year's service in 2020. It doesn't make sense to average it out if you had to replace his production during the 2nd tag.

I doubt he'll sign the tag just so Dallas can get a pick. His contract in FA will be much larger if teams don't have to give up a first round pick to get him.
I gave you an example. It's not that difficult to understand.

Khalil Mack was not going to get more than 23.5M per as an unrestricted free agent.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Zeke can wait 2 years
Cooper and jaylon can wait a year
Sign tank now unless he wants too much
Agree on dak

Zeke will hold out.

RB careers are short. And Dallas has wasted his best years already.

Zeke has 2-3 great years left in the tank.

This is the logic Dallas FO will use. They did the same thing to Murray.

CPanther95

Reaction score
I gave you an example. It's not that difficult to understand.

Khalil Mack was not going to get more than 23.5M per as an unrestricted free agent.

Tank will look at how much is guaranteed. He's only guaranteed about 20 if he signs the tag. If he sits, he'll likely get 40, or more, the following year.

If they don't sign him to a long term contract, my money is on him sitting. We'll have to wait and see who's right.

wecasa

Reaction score
Isn't that the same as saying, "penalize the players for their outstanding performance"?
Teams should be able to keep the guys they draft by paying them what they want. For example, when Jaylon smith, LVE or any other guy the cowboys have drafted comes to the end of their contract and another team offers a significant contract, the drafting team should be able to match or increase their offer without having to worry about salary cap implications.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Tank will look at how much is guaranteed. He's only guaranteed about 20 if he signs the tag. If he sits, he'll likely get 40, or more, the following year.

If they don't sign him to a long term contract, my money is on him sitting. We'll have to wait and see who's right.
Unless he gets hurt .....like his shoulder

If he gets tagged and sits out he should fire his agent.... dumbest move ever

BigD_95

Reaction score
I think we should have a luxury type where if you draft players then that don't count towards the cap. Or something like that. Teams are punished every year because they draft well and personally I don't think that's right.

I always felt this way. I think a percent of their salary should not count against the cap if you draft that player. Not sure what percent it should be - maybe 15 -20% of their salary should not count against the cap if you resign a player that you drafted. Teams should be rewarded for drafting and training players. Right now the NFL rewards teams that does not draft well

CPanther95

Reaction score
Unless he gets hurt .....like his shoulder

If he gets tagged and sits out he should fire his agent.... dumbest move ever

"Unless he gets hurt" is exactly why it wouldn't be a dumb move to sit out.

If he has a bad injury under the 2nd franchise tag, he may never earn more than his $20 million 2019 salary. If he sits out 2019, he's almost assured of getting over $40 million guaranteed.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we should have a luxury type where if you draft players then that don't count towards the cap. Or something like that. Teams are punished every year because they draft well and personally I don't think that's right.
Agree but the NFLPA and the agents would not like that as it would greatly affect the FA market. And some of these players do not want to stay with their teams when they get the chance to walk.

robbieruff

Reaction score
The NBA (Larry Bird rule) agrees with you...