Twitter: Jayron Kearse got an early contract guarantee

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I mean it seems like he was gonna get it regardless they just guaranteed it if I’m understanding correctly?
Yes. I think Kearse saw these other safeties getting new contracts and extensions and said, "Hey, what about me?" This was a way of saying we appreciate you without giving him any extra money.

I kind of thought we'd do that with Martin since his $13 million base for next year is non-guaranteed, but it appears Martin preferred more money over guaranteed money.

The fact that we'd do this instead of an extension makes me think that maybe we do see Overshown taking over Kearse's role next year. I know we have Bell as a possibility for that as well and could move Wilson to the Kearse role and play Bell in the Wilson role. In other words, there may be a couple of options that we like well enough to not commit more to Kearse.

rambo2

Reaction score
Say what you will. The front office has done an excellent job of building this team. Their plan is working. They have a solid team filled with young talent and veterans. They continue to add young talent and sign who they want to sign.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yes. I think Kearse saw these other safeties getting new contracts and extensions and said, "Hey, what about me?" This was a way of saying we appreciate you without giving him any extra money.

I kind of thought we'd do that with Martin since his $13 million base for next year is non-guaranteed, but it appears Martin preferred more money over guaranteed money.

The fact that we'd do this instead of an extension makes me think that maybe we do see Overshown taking over Kearse's role next year. I know we have Bell as a possibility for that as well and could move Wilson to the Kearse role and play Bell in the Wilson role. In other words, there may be a couple of options that we like well enough to not commit more to Kearse.
Yeah I felt either Overshown or Izzy were gonna take the Kearse role next season. Then they signed Hooker and it became even more clear. Really shocked they signed him.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yeah I felt either Overshown or Izzy were gonna take the Kearse role next season. Then they signed Hooker and it became even more clear. Really shocked they signed him.
I don't think Mukuamu would be good in that role. He's more corner/safety than safety/linebacker.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Say what you will. The front office has done an excellent job of building this team. Their plan is working. They have a solid team filled with young talent and veterans. They continue to add young talent and sign who they want to sign.
Defensively, I have to give the credit to Dan Quinn.

The defensive ‘hits’ started to arrive at the same time that he did. That’s no coincidence.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
A nice going away present for a good player and team guy.

I think this is his last year in Dallas.

The Cowboys went from having a lack of good safeties to having a surplus.
Yeah that’s how I read it as well. They wanted to reward him, but not with an extension like Hooker/Wilson.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Definitely agree and yes we have options with young players next year who knows who it could be..the ones you mentioned, plus I don't know who this other kid is who flashed in the last preseason and camp game Juanyeh Thomas?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Same here. Overshown looks like the heir apparent to me.
I think so. He's more linebacker/safety while Kearse is more safety/linebacker. It makes sense if Overshown has safety skills that we would prefer a hybrid there who is a linebacker first. Helps with the run defense. Bell would be more like Kearse.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Definitely agree and yes we have options with young players next year who knows who it could be..the ones you mentioned, plus I don't know who this other kid is who flashed in the last preseason and camp game Juanyeh Thomas?
Thomas is more of a free safety.