Twitter: Jayron Kearse got an early contract guarantee

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It basically means that if he has a bad injury in camp, he’s covered. It was going to be guaranteed at game 1 anyway, so it just gives him a little piece of mind through camp, I suppose.
Probably keeps him from grousing. Can't blame him for seeing the other safeties being rewarded and possibly wondering where is his.

He's been a good team leader and we want to keep it that way.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Yes. I think Kearse saw these other safeties getting new contracts and extensions and said, "Hey, what about me?" This was a way of saying we appreciate you without giving him any extra money.

I kind of thought we'd do that with Martin since his $13 million base for next year is non-guaranteed, but it appears Martin preferred more money over guaranteed money.

The fact that we'd do this instead of an extension makes me think that maybe we do see Overshown taking over Kearse's role next year. I know we have Bell as a possibility for that as well and could move Wilson to the Kearse role and play Bell in the Wilson role. In other words, there may be a couple of options that we like well enough to not commit more to Kearse.
But didn't Martin get more money and both years guaranteed?

gimmesix

Reaction score
But didn't Martin get more money and both years guaranteed?
I know he got a $5.8 million bonus, but I'm not sure both of the years were fully guaranteed. He is set for an $18 million base next year, so I would think that the team would want to keep that non-guaranteed to use as leverage for an extension. I could be wrong, though. If it is all guaranteed, then there is less incentive for Martin to agree to an extension.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So they added the next 3-1/2 weeks to the guarantee he was going to get anyway on September 10th. Big deal.

Let’s hope he doesn’t get hurt in practice over the next 25 days
It’s a big deal for Kearse. What a negative person.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Probably keeps him from grousing. Can't blame him for seeing the other safeties being rewarded and possibly wondering where is his.

He's been a good team leader and we want to keep it that way.
This is what it is. He can see the writing on the wall. They signed the other guys and drafted his replacement. He likely asked for a new deal to and was probably talking about holding out until week 1 to make sure he at least got his money this year. The team probably said no new deal but guaranteed the salary now so he would keep practicing. Can’t really blame him. He was risking $4 million every day if he got hurt because they likely would have done an injury settlement instead of pay him and wait for him to return because they have several other players who can fill that spot.

gimmesix

Reaction score
its the zack effect. They are lining up at Jerrys door as we thought.
They were going to be lining up at Jerry's door whether we paid Martin or not. This is the way and has always been the way.

Rayman70

Reaction score
They were going to be lining up at Jerry's door whether we paid Martin or not. This is the way and has always been the way.
hmm... watch the flood of players that do this. Monkey see monkey do, This will be beyond the norms. The contracts wont be worth signing if everyone wants their deals redone and a certain clause inserted. Its great they protect themselves, but it will get out of hand. I hate it. I feel u live with what u agreed on or don't sign it. Then again, Its Jerrys team and $ so whatever he wants I guess.

gimmesix

Reaction score
hmm... watch the flood of players that do this. Monkey see monkey do, This will be beyond the norms. The contracts wont be worth signing if everyone wants their deals redone and a certain clause inserted. Its great they protect themselves, but it will get out of hand. I hate it. I feel u live with what u agreed on or don't sign it. Then again, Its Jerrys team and $ so whatever he wants I guess.
There are players doing this with every team. Nick Bosa in San Fran and Chris Jones in Kansas City are still doing it. If they give in without new deals, then we can talk about this being "beyond the norms."

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yeah I felt either Overshown or Izzy were gonna take the Kearse role next season. Then they signed Hooker and it became even more clear. Really shocked they signed him.
Shocked they signed Hooker? Why? He's their only safety who plays over the top and has a unique skillset relative to the other safeties. He's more of the priority.

Kearse, Wilson, Izzy, Bell are all basically the same player.

Motorola

Reaction score
Scouts are still giving him the right guys for his defense. Falcons failed at that.
Specifically - Thomas Dimitroff, the Atlanta GM during Quinn's tenure.
He and his scouting department were really bad about evaluating OLine prospects.

HanD

Reaction score
I know he got a $5.8 million bonus, but I'm not sure both of the years were fully guaranteed. He is set for an $18 million base next year, so I would think that the team would want to keep that non-guaranteed to use as leverage for an extension. I could be wrong, though. If it is all guaranteed, then there is less incentive for Martin to agree to an extension.
i read both years fully guaranteed 2 for 36.

Havic

Reaction score
Say what you will. The front office has done an excellent job of building this team. Their plan is working. They have a solid team filled with young talent and veterans. They continue to add young talent and sign who they want to sign.
I agree. Really the only thing holding us back is consistent qb play.