Twitter: Jeff Cavanaugh on OL and run game vs Saints

bsbellomy

Reaction score
I mentioned in the game thread that there is probably a tell in offense on run plays. Their defenders were coming down hill as soon as we snapped the ball on run plays. It was evident by the second half they knew what was coming. This goes back to us having an inferior head coach who never considers the details. They need to do some self-scouting and figure out what is causing them to tip their hand.

It's not like that happened every play. Could be that he made a guess based upon down and distance and guessed right. That happens all the time.

khiladi

Reaction score
For all the complaints about the OL, particularly pass blocking, Dak was sacked ONCE.

And Zeke was targeted SEVEN times and caught six passes, meaning Dak was going underneath to his safety valve.

John813

Reaction score
Yeah right it is Dak’s fault. Maybe the offensive genius including the HC should have seen the stacked box and tried to get the ball to Zeke in the flat rather than pounding it between the tackles every run. Very Linehan.

The coach (Usually OC) loses the mic to the QB with 15 seconds left in the play clock.
Not sure how the Cowboys run the audibles and how much leeway Dak gets.

The OC can talk to Dak for 25 seconds so if he noticed the defense lining up heavy I hope he would allow some type of audible to take advantage of that lineup.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
It's not like that happened every play. Could be that he made a guess based upon down and distance and guessed right. That happens all the time.
It was 1st and 20, that's why they shouldn't know it's a run.

khiladi

Reaction score
Plus, there were plenty of Cowboys fans in the arena and Dak also audibled multiple times.

MaaS

Reaction score
That 3rd and 1 where Malcolm Brown split the double-team by Fredrick and Martin really stood out to me. Very well could have been a miscommunication between them, but wow.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The coach (Usually OC) loses the mic to the QB with 15 seconds left in the play clock.
Not sure how the Cowboys run the audibles and how much leeway Dak gets.

The OC can talk to Dak for 25 seconds so if he noticed the defense lining up heavy I hope he would allow some type of audible to take advantage of that lineup.

All true but NO loaded the box all game. They shouldn’t have to audible to get Zeke the ball in space and work the edges seeing that. That should have been in the playbook all week as well. Also not targeting Apple is about the dumbest coaching move you will see.

Moore got off to a good start but Sunday night he did a terrible job.

Zman5

Reaction score
Everyone including Broaddus was saying that Saints defense will be hard to run between the tackles but can be run on off the edges. Houston with their crappy OL ran with success doing this.

I have no clue why we kept trying to run Zeke up the middle all night. When that wasn't working, they should have try few outside toss runs to Zeke or Pollard.
When their defense is winning by crashing toward the LOS, they should have tried to have them defend laterally toward the sideline.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We aren't going to know exactly who is at fault on this. This is why HCs should be accountable for the play of the team. If it's on the QB, then fix it. If it's on the OC, then fix it. If it's on the HC, then find a HC that can fix these problems.
the Dak crowd is not going to like this answer...its never Dak's fault.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah right it is Dak’s fault. Maybe the offensive genius including the HC should have seen the stacked box and tried to get the ball to Zeke in the flat rather than pounding it between the tackles every run. Very Linehan.

Dak was the least of our problems on Sunday. He wasn't given a chance to do his thing in this game based on game plan and lack of adjustments. When he did make plays there were fumbles, offensive PI, ect….ect…..

Definitely not one of his best games, but he was far from the issue.

Oline got schooled, Zeke made ZERO plays and fumbled. OC was as bad as linehan on his worst day.

First tough best for the coaching staff and they got schooled again. Nothing new in Dallas. Just a little surprising and disappointing that it was Moore that went Linehan on us.

His honeymoon is over.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Dak was the least of our problems on Sunday. He wasn't given a chance to do his thing in this game based on game plan and lack of adjustments. When he did make plays there were fumbles, offensive PI, ect….ect…..

Definitely not one of his best games, but he was far from the issue.

Oline got schooled, Zeke made ZERO plays and fumbled. OC was as bad as linehan on his worst day.

First tough best for the coaching staff and they got schooled again. Nothing new in Dallas. Just a little surprising and disappointing that it was Moore that went Linehan on us.

His honeymoon is over.

Moore did go full Linehan. Everyone knows you should never go full Linehan.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Everyone including Broaddus was saying that Saints defense will be hard to run between the tackles but can be run on off the edges. Houston with their crappy OL ran with success doing this.

I have no clue why we kept trying to run Zeke up the middle all night. When that wasn't working, they should have try few outside toss runs to Zeke or Pollard.
When their defense is winning by crashing toward the LOS, they should have tried to have them defend laterally toward the sideline.
That's what we usually do. That is what we did in the first half against Miami as well when you could obviously see the outside was wide open. They finally went outside in the second half of Miami and racked up the yards!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
For all the complaints about the OL, particularly pass blocking, Dak was sacked ONCE.

And Zeke was targeted SEVEN times and caught six passes, meaning Dak was going underneath to his safety valve.
dak got sacked once, but he was under pressure a lot, thus going to his underneath guys....with that said, cooper didn't have a good game neither and couldn't get open. the other WRs were invisible pretty much

Eanwen

Reaction score

Those two facts may be connected. The OL gave up a lot of pressure but Dak got rid of the ball instead of taking sacks.

khiladi

Reaction score
dak got sacked once, but he was under pressure a lot, thus going to his underneath guys....with that said, cooper didn't have a good game neither and couldn't get open. the other WRs were invisible pretty much

I don’t think he was pressured more than any Qb in any normal game. Compared to OUR last three games, where he had all day to throw, yes.

khiladi

Reaction score
Those two facts may be connected. The OL gave up a lot of pressure but Dak got rid of the ball instead of taking sacks.

a couple of them, if I remember correctly, were on third and longs, meaning he took the underneath. We definitely didn’t challenge deep and even Harrison pointed out at half that if he was Dak he’d throw deep a couple of times to get the defense to open up a little bit. I’m not sure if he said it was because of the man coverage that he said the deep would force the hand.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
a couple of them, if I remember correctly, were on third and longs, meaning he took the underneath. We definitely didn’t challenge deep and even Harrison pointed out at half that if he was Dak he’d throw deep a couple of times to get the defense to open up a little bit. I’m not sure if he said it was because of the man coverage that he said the deep would force the hand.
( I think I pulled the wrong quote,dude)
Man, he took that one on his own 3 yardline,with 1:39 left to play& zero time outs remaining,,, that was pretty harsh to see that go down.