Twitter: Jeff Cavanaugh on OL and run game vs Saints

erod

Reaction score
They did seem to be baiting Dak into predictable audibles. Perhaps they know what he likes to audible to.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Again, we don't know, there's definitely more risk for more turnovers throwing into the teeth of the defense. Cooper was hurt, Smith couldn't shake Apple. We had opportunities . A touchdown to Cobb missed,and two fumbles stopped good drives, those dont happen we win by at least 10

Yes we could have still won the game but that doesn't mean it was an optimal strategy.

Dre11

Reaction score
Yes we could have still won the game but that doesn't mean it was an optimal strategy.

For that night it was. You attack a team where you have the mismatch, a 5 or 6 man box is suppose to be huge advantage us. Execute better.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
For that night it was. You attack a team where you have the mismatch, a 5 or 6 man box is suppose to be huge advantage us. Execute better.

The stats showed we had better results throwing it so i dont think it is unreasonable to say throwing it more gave the Cowboys a better chance to win.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
So, Dak should of audible more is what Jeff is inferring in the first tweet.

That was very hard to do with the crowd noise. Prescott had to take a step or two to one side to give the audible and back over to the other side to give them the audible and then the defense change what they were going to do because of the audible but there wasn't enough time to call off the audible. All because of the crowd noise.

Cmac

Reaction score
He does make audibles.
We know he audibles.....but maybe my 4th yr QB can put us in a better call when the line is stacked when the run is being stuffed, repeatedly. Just pondering that.

visionary

Reaction score
I thought the whole point of getting boy genius was so we could have more pre snap motion and run different plays from the same formation so the defense does not know what’s coming but now we’re predictable and he “has a tell” after only 3 games?

Say it ain’t so
:laugh:

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
We know he audibles.....but maybe my 4th yr QB can put us in a better call when the line is stacked when the run is being stuffed, repeatedly. Just pondering that.

He didn’t audible into runs against a stacked line.

He audibled into runs against non stacked boxes and the O line failed to win their favorable matchups due to poor play. Which is why the run game was getting stuffed.

They were running against boxes that normally our OL Beats handily and Zeke feasts on. But the OL just kept making mistake after mistake after mistake.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
That tells a big story there but there were a lot more plays than those.

Was Dak to blame for not getting out of these plays - crowd noise could play a big factor here as well
Maybe. And thts where coaches need to step up and prepare their players

Staubacher

Reaction score
I think it's clear that Moore did not have a strong game against Nola but if we look at this logically, why is it all on Moore? I mean, don't get me wrong, the play calling offensively is on the OC. No question about that but, it had to be Jerry and Garrett who decided to make a 31 year old Former QB with next to no coaching experience, the next OC. I mean, if you don't think he's going to need some help along the way, then whose fault is this really? On the other hand, if this was not his game plan, which I believe is the truth, then it's not on him.

JMO
Seems the team is a teaching college, you know, like those places you go to get cheap haircuts from the trainees.

Creeper

Reaction score
So I agree in principle that we should have thrown more, especially on first downs, but shouldn't the Cowboys in 11 personnel be able to run against a 7 man box?

I think they could have run better than they did but they were losing the battles up front. When the DTs are controlling the LOS, it doesn't really matter whether there is one free defender or 3. If the DTs beat your OL then no RB is going anywhere.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The only "tell" I would guess is that Zeke is off-set and deeper than Dak (shotgun).

They tend to have the RB even with the QB on pass plays; although, later in the game they ran with Zeke even with Dak from Shotgun.

Dre11

Reaction score
The stats showed we had better results throwing it so i dont think it is unreasonable to say throwing it more gave the Cowboys a better chance to win.

Wow, No it doesn't, what it shows is they were dead set on stopping the pass....lol

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Wow, No it doesn't, what it shows is they were dead set on stopping the pass....lol
The Cowboys had better passing stats than rushing stats. How do you come to the conclusion that means the Saints were dead set on stopping the pass?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The Saints through a curve-ball that was different from weeks 1-3. They played primarily cover 2 when before it was primarily man.