Jeff Ireland on with mick and bill jones-talking cowboys

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Charles;1485525 said:
The Isiah Stanback talk was crazy. Is he a phenom?
Just watch some clips. Like the guy said, he just jumps out of you on the tape. I was like everyone in thinking what the hell when we draft him and then someone posted some clips and he looked amazing. Honestly, the guy looks like a potential star.

sago1

Reaction score
Really excited at the idea of moving Ware, Carpenter and whoever around so the offense always has to check out where they are. I reall like the sound of Phillips defense and can understand why SD players loved playing for him in that system so much & why so many Cowboy players have high hopes with it.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1485598 said:
Just watch some clips. Like the guy said, he just jumps out of you on the tape. I was like everyone in thinking what the hell when we draft him and then someone posted some clips and he looked amazing. Honestly, the guy looks like a potential star.

a 6'2" 215lb player who can run a 4.36/7, at worst a 4.4, who's a tough, elusive runner, who has WR experience and QB experience, how can you not like this guy?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
the defensive talk is just awesome...I cant wait to see us play a defense where we finally turn guys loose...

the biggest improvement we could possibly make was made when Parcells and Zimmer's defensive scheme was trashed...forget free agency and the draft, this will be the single biggest difference in the team and will be the biggest reason for success

David

Duane

Reaction score
theogt;1485585 said:
That has to be one of the coolest interviews I've ever heard. Gotta love this Ireland guy.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Thanks a ton for the recap.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Is anyone else excited about hearing, Ware, and Carpenter lining up everywhere and comeing from anywhere?

Like Oh em gEe, i just can't wait.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Thanks for the recap, theogt. I've tried to listen to it, but it keeps stopping about four minutes into it, for some reason.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1485627 said:
Thanks for the recap, theogt. I've tried to listen to it, but it keeps stopping about four minutes into it, for some reason.

Maybe you can download the entire podcast and listen to it that way, Adam... That's what I did.

I often have trouble with the streaming, too.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Thats interesting stuff about the NT/DT position. I thought all along that having that big stud at NT was key to Wade's defense given he's had perhaps the biggest NT in football in Jamal Williams while coaching SD's defense. If we're going to a more penetrating defense, then guys like Ratliff/Bowen/Spears/Ola can surely get it done in a backup role. However we still need Ferguson healthy to take the bulk of the snaps.

The fiercest battles in TC will be at backup FB and 4th/5th CB. Can Anderson beat out either Hoyte or Lousaka? I really like Hoyte. And can Brown/Ball beat out either Reeves or Jones?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1485635 said:
Maybe you can download the entire podcast and listen to it that way, Adam... That's what I did.

Yeah, I should have thought of that. I just clicked on the link in the original post and forgot they have mp3s available.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Like theogt transcribed, Ireland sounded pretty excited about Ola Dagunduro. As a Nebraska fan, I certainly hope he works out. I googled some pretty encouraging reports about him at all-star games... And fitting into what Ireland is saying, his strengths on Scout.com are listed as "Explosion" and "Quickness off the ball".

And it's not like he's small. 6-2 and 313 isn't that far off from Fergy.

Here's a very short youtube of him destroying a WR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpc6Y_tCsa8&feature=PlayList&p=BF17FA52F54A7B2E&index=6

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1485648 said:
Like theogt transcribed, Ireland sounded pretty excited about Ola Dagunduro. As a Nebraska fan, I certainly hope he works out. I googled some pretty encouraging reports about him at all-star games... And fitting into what Ireland is saying, his strengths on Scout.com are listed as "Explosion" and "Quickness off the ball".

And it's not like he's small. 6-2 and 313 isn't that far off from Fergy.

Here's a very short youtube of him destroying a WR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpc6Y_tCsa8&feature=PlayList&p=BF17FA52F54A7B2E&index=6

Ola's stats were pretty good last year, on par w/ the top DTs, 9 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
carphalen5150;1485492 said:
OK...but Wade Phillips had a massive NT in Jamal Williams...so while they are saying it does not matter, Phillips success was with a big NT.

He does have that here too. You nkow, Ferguson.

I think what they were saying, the scheme doesn't require a 320lbs guy, but more a guy with quickness. Williams and Ferguson have that size and quickness combo, so of course you welcome that. But the point is, a 300 lbs guy can fill in that role as a spell player.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
If you are a Cowboy fan, it is hard not to get fired up about this. I certainly think we have the players to cause havoc. Heck, this is the 5th year in a row that we have been drafting defense. We have so many players that can get to the passer that were being wasted in the old 3-4, LBers and Dlineman.